The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Project Pesto

SPG

11 hours ago, blythmrk said:

I have never seen the roof rot around the hinge on a Mkiv so fingers crossed it was just yours!

Great work and looking forwards to more updates👍

Here’s hoping Mark, I guess it’s worth checking the seal just in case. Especially if you have had the tailgate off, either for a respray or if you’re car ever suffered from the rust around the rear screen seal bottom edge. 

But this one is perhaps a good example of what can got wrong if left. I thing it might be handy to update the new buyers guide with some of the “known" area of corrosion etc, for the more common rust areas. 

So with the car stripped down as far as I Martin wanted it, It was time to go to the ML workshop to get her up on the ramps. 

B04257E3-0EB3-4247-A47B-36126DED2D20.jpeg

Now this is usually a happy part for most when they know the car is off to be prepped and painted, but for me, it was more a case of “what lies beneath”. 

You guessed it, more corrosion, but let’s be honest that’s kinda what we all expected. Here’s the pics: 

54695133-7F7B-4014-90A9-973FED5CA75D.jpeg

75C18455-9740-491C-B8F1-E264C2690A6A.jpeg

DE60682D-8DB2-40DE-B0BA-359F080E8AC5.jpeg

Now perhaps I just got accustomed to seeing the rusty bits but the underside was in better shape than I was expecting. The rear subframe was clearly corroded but in terms of the actual undercarriage I was okay with. 

10AB3E7E-854D-4B85-88C3-59B43F3BA873.jpeg

4D72B126-181A-4D31-9017-4493C8800A9A.jpeg

F06330DA-8544-43C4-A4D7-7925F783DE44.jpeg

Before my enthusiasm manifested into delusion 😂, We whipped the rear subframe off completely to have a look under it. Here’s what we found. 

807A9DF4-7826-4958-B194-428A4607DF3B.jpeg

791BF7F4-1C1E-40DA-A579-7A3BEDAD19A5.jpeg

81FA4924-305E-484C-8DB3-1296E4C7318B.jpeg

B98BCE00-6EFE-4B5F-941C-87ED05444F0D.jpeg

738976C1-1A43-4CFD-9ECE-2F750DF1A5D8.jpeg

1AA47CD0-CF7A-4DC0-A2F1-F42141A4228D.jpeg

D9DFA106-2085-41C2-B1FE-1BD7B69DF8C5.jpeg

0DA4A4B2-9CD2-42A7-B2DC-FAABC4079533.jpeg

Next up it was time to get the engine out of the bay and then the front subframe off, we chose to remove the engine first as at this point the dolly wheels had just arrived. 

54309C13-DBB2-4F39-97A6-0FB579BC2065.jpeg

420AF291-8C8E-44A5-AE2A-E3C5760573F0.jpeg

15146805-9E80-42E1-B1DC-5C7B8603DD37.jpeg

Whilst waiting for some bits to arrive I ordered very sturdy engine stand from SGS to hold the TT lump. 

Very impressed with SGS stand and will be ordering my new work bench/station from them also. 

508B4580-969A-4BFE-8A62-6F96683DC04C.jpeg

BB05DFE0-111E-40B9-BFEF-A91F0FA52CF5.jpeg

F35F9080-9A45-45F3-9F34-C7B79E80F935.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Dnk said:

You going to have it dipped ? 

Unfortunately there was no budget for this to happen, as nice as that might have been Dunk. Also I’m a little scared to have a car dipped as I read a few stories about it getting stuck in areas and eating out sections. This was by no means a full restoration, I had no intentions of following that model as it would not be economically viable on a NA-5speed. 

Upon checking the box sections with a scope it wasn’t that bad, just sections on the outer sill needed cutting out and replacing. The only section that needed rebuilding completely was the hinge for the boot. 

I have pics of the inner sills coming, just working my way up through these pics :)

Would be great to hear from anyone who has had their car dipped though, can’t think of anyone on the forum but I might be wrong. 

2 hours ago, SPG said:

Would be great to hear from anyone who has had their car dipped though, can’t think of anyone on the forum but I might be wrong. 

I've been considering it for my build.  There are a host of stories on numerous car sites quoting concerns about retained acids etc.  But, I failed to find specific current examples.

There are a host of top end car restorations where this process has been used.  So long as the acid is correctly neutralised I can't see there being any long term issues.  Of course this may require additional drainage holes being made into box sections etc, but surely any decent company would be able to advise on this.

17 minutes ago, mwilkinson said:

I've been considering it for my build.  There are a host of stories on numerous car sites quoting concerns about retained acids etc.  But, I failed to find specific current examples.

There are a host of top end car restorations where this process has been used.  So long as the acid is correctly neutralised I can't see there being any long term issues.  Of course this may require additional drainage holes being made into box sections etc, but surely any decent company would be able to advise on this.

The stories are always about I guess, it’s the only real way to be sure that’s you’ve neutralised every bit of rust. I’m sure the most reputable places will have the bases covered though, things like Capiliary Action and Leaching are commonly used scary words. 

I just went with the usual elbow grease approach with the underside of the car, 3 days of grinding, sanding, swearing and neck ache later and the underside was taken back to a shine state before the treatment to the metal could progress. I’d 100% advise anyone reading this to send their car off to be blasted with some form of media as the effort required to do this with hand operate sanders, wheels, grinders, file belt sanders and files was a massive effort.

I’m glad we did it like this though as I was able to oversee and participate with the process. But more on that later. 

What an inspirational thread for anyone thats not going down the crazy engine/hp route, i hate to see a good supra go to waste and be broken im doing one with a friend at the moment he's done every brake line, fuel line, lots of bushes etc etc, well done buddy keep up the good work will be coming on just for your updates 😀

• Like 1

Absolutely love this thread!

What a great work of enthusiasm and happy to see a nice NA build as well.

I absolutely understand your words in your initial post. One of the things that makes me fall in love with my NA is the way how you can use all its power without having to worry about the back stepping out etc.

I totally respect the (common for Supras) Turbo builds, however, it‘s just not my cup of tea.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, suprano said:

What an inspirational thread for anyone thats not going down the crazy engine/hp route, i hate to see a good supra go to waste and be broken im doing one with a friend at the moment he's done every brake line, fuel line, lots of bushes etc etc, well done buddy keep up the good work will be coming on just for your updates 😀

3 hours ago, Herb said:

Absolutely love this thread!

What a great work of enthusiasm and happy to see a nice NA build as well.

I absolutely understand your words in your initial post. One of the things that makes me fall in love with my NA is the way how you can use all its power without having to worry about the back stepping out etc.

I totally respect the (common for Supras) Turbo builds, however, it‘s just not my cup of tea.

Thanks Guys I just want to see this car back in the road and used by someone who will enjoy it.

I view all Supra’s in the same light, so saving a NA is no different to a TT. The part where it is different is when you think about  whether it’s economically sound to peruse the result you hope for. Although sometimes the heart over rules the head. 

The thing about owning a Supra for me is being part of a larger community, and it’s great to see people from all walks of life being able to enjoy these great cars. 

plenty of updates to follow guys so please stay tuned. 😁

So earlier on in the thread I mentioned that I’d be getting the wheels refurbished as I was not keen on the look of them in the condition they were in. I think they look 100 times better than they did and I was very pleased with the finished result. 

This is how they looked (recap):

45280C24-1ACA-40A4-8522-8396ABD39DBA.jpeg

Not they looks ok in these pics but that polished look was less endearing when up close, the blue inner rim was flaking and generally speaking looked horrible. 

The wheels were refinished by WeRestore Alloys up here in Scotland, and after they refinished my BBS RG-R’s on my Red TT6 I knew I’d be giving them more business. 

Stripped right back: 

4B4F70AD-09A5-4963-8C26-0AD45669911E.jpeg

271B3ED2-DCA4-4CE2-AB44-BD27039C1BC8.jpeg

093AC338-64AC-4865-BE5E-E31B024AE462.png

Now as the car was being finished off in the original Super White II, I wanted to incorporate that into the design, but I also wanted something dark to offset the soon to be new paint job. 

im super happy with the results and I this pic you can see the main colour added on the left rim and the detail work which is effectively the second step on the right:

9D1B59E2-ABB3-4195-9169-F82FE9A19F61.jpeg

The wheels look almost black in certain light but are in fact a dark charcoal grey which is more via able in the sunlight.  

34A0CC94-7C3A-432D-9F45-803C2EEB8699.jpeg

EBFAC7DC-899D-4B71-8012-204ED731665E.png

E4484055-F592-40CD-8652-9F5300D42935.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rob W said:

Great updates, love the wheel colour choice 👍🏻

Thanks matey, just about half way through, lots to come. 😁

1 hour ago, The Raven said:

Brave build thread. 

Will be watching with interest 

Thanks Raven I’ve really enjoyed your Re-Up thread. 

1 hour ago, Hughdahellru said:

Wheels look great - love that finish. Looking forward to seeing more of the build updates!

Thanks buddy 😃

23 hours ago, SPG said:

Unfortunately there was no budget for this to happen, as nice as that might have been Dunk. Also I’m a little scared to have a car dipped as I read a few stories about it getting stuck in areas and eating out sections. This was by no means a full restoration, I had no intentions of following that model as it would not be economically viable on a NA-5speed. 

Upon checking the box sections with a scope it wasn’t that bad, just sections on the outer sill needed cutting out and replacing. The only section that needed rebuilding completely was the hinge for the boot. 

I have pics of the inner sills coming, just working my way up through these pics :)

A friend had a classic Range Rover done 2 years ago and all appeared to be good but he's since sold

it so we'll never know.

If mine hadn't been in such good condition i might have done it, think he paid £1200 for the shell to be done 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pudsey said:

Yeah echo previous comments on the wheels.

They done a great job, will look super against the white supra.

1 hour ago, Hamilton said:

Agree with all the comments so far- fascinating build and great to see a Supra being saved from the rot. I think we'll be seeing more and more threads like this in years to come. 

Thanks chaps, I agree that more threads like this might pop up over the next half decade abs beyond for sure. 

I am doing a full Resto on a RSP TT6 which should be a fun thread, but that’s not due to commence till Spring 2021 as I literally have no space at the moment. I’ve already sent the subframes for that one off and all new components for the suspension, boots, nuts etc etc are all gathered for the re-build. So keep your eyes peeled. 

I currently have my friends Drift car that’s going to be competing in the BDC next year stored at my place at the mo. ML Motorsport  did the build on that also and I lent a hand where I could 😁.

Toyota Mark II resprayed in VW Lapis Blue from the Golf R colour range 😎:

FB4097AE-9139-4D7F-9EA3-6782E47B2400.jpeg

Great thread, thoroughly enjoyed reading through this, great work. Nice to see another one being saved. I'm in the middle of doing mine so it's nice to have a look at the issues you are facing and comparing those with my own findings, I'll sort out a thread at some point. I like what you've had done with the wheels, they'll look great. Really looking forward to your progress with this. 

• Like 1