The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Extra theft deterrent?

Mr2kyle

Hi folks,

Just wondering what some of you may have done to try and deter people from stealing your car other than putting it into a garage or parking other cars in front of it. I’ll have an alarm fitted and also a wheel lock added. I’m thinking of fitting a kill switch for the fuel pump also. Any other ingenious ways?

I think a kill switch is good idea as long as you tap into the loom behind the dash where it cant be seen and can isolate something that cant easily be bypassed. Then you need to think about finding somewhere to hide the switch, perhaps behind the dash somewhere where you can just about get to it and it cant be seen.

My car has an alarm and immobiliser that was fitted when i got the car, its garaged with an alarm on the garage and ive got CCTV pointing at both garage doors and i never leave it parked anywhere else otherwise i would deffo fit a kill switch.

Im more concerned about being hijacked when im putting fuel in or opening the garage door to be honest but if you're a big dude that eats his corned beef i guess thats less likely to happen.

Cheers dnk that seems like a good thing to have as well as a normal alarm as it doesn’t seem to do locking or anything like that. Any advice on any alarms in particular? I had a laser alarm fitted and then put the car into the body shop where they then managed to dismantle half the alarm so now that’s a load of scrap! 500 quid down the drain.wish I could get the original key for and alarm to work.

Hi john,

I think I will do that but I might actually put the switch in the boot close to where the pump is. It wouldn’t be the first place someone would look as it’s not exactly a convenient place. It’s just for when I leave the car overnight. Not for if I just go into a shop or a restaurant.

When I've left mine for a while I removed one of the efi 30amp fuses.

Not exactly a hard thing to sort but it's not like an opportunist can start going through a check list of what might have been fitted/removed, might make you feel better until you sort better additional security

Cheers dnk that seems like a good thing to have as well as a normal alarm as it doesn’t seem to do locking or anything like that. Any advice on any alarms in particular? I had a laser alarm fitted and then put the car into the body shop where they then managed to dismantle half the alarm so now that’s a load of scrap! 500 quid down the drain.wish I could get the original key for and alarm to work.

I’m looking into this at the moment.

I need a new alarm after the original one has a fault.

I’m hearing that it may be preferable to fit an older model alarm due to the thicker wiring that’s used that matches the era of our cars; with modern alarms having wires that are a bit thinner to match modern wiring looms.

Just what I was told.

I've got a GPS tracker with geofencing (if it moves out of the zone it texts me it's location, speed, direction and a Google map link every 2 minutes).

I can set it to text me updates up to a maximum of every 10 seconds.

It is also wired into the ecu power so I can text a code with a password I set and it will kill power to the car so it won't run.

I can also listen to what's being said in the car with it, and it's battery lasts 90 days, however it's also constantly plumbed into the car battery too. So once the car battery dies its got 90 days of charge.

I also plan on installing a kill switch to the automatic gearbox position sensor so it thinks the gearbox is in drive until I flick the switch.

I also have an autowatch alarm/imobilizer

Plus a labrador that barks if he hears anything outside at night (he's surprisingly sensitive). And I'm lucky to live in a good area in a small village.

My main security device at the moment though is I have no wheels, engine, diff, hubs...

Edited by bluecoupe46 (see edit history)

The missus has those disk locks on her two fords One old, one new, they have a good reputation and are a viewable deterrent from outside the car theyre about £120 iirc, or how about a removable steering wheel instead, im not a fan of how they sit closer to the driver but others seem to cope with it just fine

Hi john,

I think I will do that but I might actually put the switch in the boot close to where the pump is. It wouldn’t be the first place someone would look as it’s not exactly a convenient place. It’s just for when I leave the car overnight. Not for if I just go into a shop or a restaurant.

Only problem with putting it in the boot is that somebody could watch you going to the boot every night before you go into the house. Its up to you but id put the switch somewhere you can reach it whilst in the car so you can flick it over discreetly without anybody knowing.

Clifford alarms are as good as you're going to get on a Supra really... something like a Concept 650, tried and tested for over a decade.

Contact Shervin, he's a authorised Clifford dealer and has supplied and fitted the alarms on all my Supras. Top chap.

I’ve looked at pictures of that alarm kit and was wondering where the part with the small antenna gets installed? Kinda looks like the old mobile phone steals you used to have to pull out.

At least it's not an RS Turbo :D

Didn't matter what you did with those things in Dundee 15 years ago, they'd get bumped without fail!

As with all cars, extra security is as the title of this thread says, only a 'deterrent'. If a thief wants your car they will get it regardless of what you fit or disable in full view of any CCTV. Will just take them longer is all.

I’ve looked at pictures of that alarm kit and was wondering where the part with the small antenna gets installed? Kinda looks like the old mobile phone steals you used to have to pull out.

You can hide it out of sight; behind the dash, in the centre consol, etc. Works like a charm...