The mkiv Supra Owners Club

1st useful 3D printed piece

griffsplace

Ok, its not the best use of a 3D printer, but upon going to put back on the passenger side sideskirt, i notice that an additional grommet was missing that sat on the body side. Couldnt remeber for the life of me whether i kept them or destroyed them take the sideskirt off. TAKE MORE PICTURES AS YOU GO!!!!!

Anyhow, my new 3D printer has come to the rescue.

Anyone else out there made any bits on 3D printers?

20200603.jpg

grommet cad.PNG

Ok, its not the best use of a 3D printer, but upon going to put back on the passenger side sideskirt, i notice that an additional grommet was missing that sat on the body side. Couldnt remeber for the life of me whether i kept them or destroyed them take the sideskirt off. TAKE MORE PICTURES AS YOU GO!!!!!

Anyhow, my new 3D printer has come to the rescue.

If you make more I be interested to buy some off you. :)

Nice work guys.

I'm currently looking at a 3D printer, but for far more geeky stuff.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a 3D printer?

I looked in to buying one and was going to get a Prusa MK3S. Lots of great reviews, good support, lots on Youtube about them and a big following.

Only reason I didn't buy one was I convinced work to buy a pair of them, plus 2 of the technicians both have Prusa's, so I just get one of them to print parts for me.

https://www.prusa3d.com/

I looked in to buying one and was going to get a Prusa MK3S. Lots of great reviews, good support, lots on Youtube about them and a big following.

Only reason I didn't buy one was I convinced work to buy a pair of them, plus 2 of the technicians both have Prusa's, so I just get one of them to print parts for me.

https://www.prusa3d.com/

Thanks for that. I have looked at these before.

Basically it needs to be idiot proof. I like to fool myself into believing I'm slightly tech savvy, but the reality is that I'm an absolute dullard with this type of stuff.

From what I've seen of the ones at work (2 Prusa's plus 2 other printers) and speaking to the technicians at work, no 3D printer is totally foolproof tho some are better than others. You'll get them all dialled in working perfectly and then one day for no reason something can go wrong, if you are lucky it'll be a quick fix, but that's not always the case. And of course it also depends on the quality of the model you're trying to print, a bad design or slice can cause issues. Hence why I make sure the model is 100% and then outsource my prints and let someone else deal with any printing headaches.

Prusa's are definitely at the top of their game. Everything about them including print quality and reliability is better than the other 2 printers are work, one of which is a Raise Pro2 Plus which cost over £5000. The Prusa's removable flexible bed is a really nice feature, make removing prints super easy.

Cowl12.JPG

During lockdown I've modelled a lower steering column cowl as stock one doesn't fit because of my paddle shift.

I had critical areas 3D printed this week, made a few tweaks today so will get another print done of those areas and if all is OK I'll get the whole thing printed.

I might also 3D print some mounts for my 2 amps at some stage........

Simple parts to print that would be really useful if anyone has the spare time and inclination would be all the undercarriage fuel/brake line plastic single pipe and 4 pipe clips. They cost a silly fortune from toyota so I never bothered replacing any when I had the underside torn down which I would have normally done as one or two were snapped.

Simple parts to print that would be really useful if anyone has the spare time and inclination would be all the undercarriage fuel/brake line plastic single pipe and 4 pipe clips. They cost a silly fortune from toyota so I never bothered replacing any when I had the underside torn down which I would have normally done as one or two were snapped.

Seen a few people offer these...but it has been on Facebook.

• 2 weeks later...

someone asked me to make a set of clips for holding the side skirts on. I did struggle a bit with the strength as they are prints obviously are a number of layers stacked up and must have got thorugh 20 versions before I was happy.

I bought a flashforge Guider 2, still learning a lot on modelling (fusion 360) and printing. So far its been fun, not sure there is a viable business model in it though.

grommet 5sm.jpg

grommet 4sm.jpg

grommet 3sm.jpg

grommet 2sm.jpg

• 1 year later...

damn gentlemen, these are some great re-inventions lol. A lot more is needed on these cars after 25 years. Dash panels, interior trim clips, boot plastic panels and clips, stuff like the fuel and brake line clips for under carriage and firewall side among other parts. I actually am going to trouble my mate to see if he can print me a badge for mine using one of my std badges as he is currently doing that for another vehicle brand.

@Big Mark you ever get around to completing that steering cowl surround?

@griffsplaceyou ever fit those side air vent panels back mate to see how the printed model you made holds up to them? I see my car has one or two broken ones on either side but have not tackled it yet to see whats going on back there.

1 minute ago, SupraTRD_MK4 said:

damn gentlemen, these are some great re-inventions lol. A lot more is needed on these cars after 25 years. Dash panels, interior trim clips, boot plastic panels and clips, stuff like the fuel and brake line clips for under carriage and firewall side among other parts. I actually am going to trouble my mate to see if he can print me a badge for mine using one of my std badges as he is currently doing that for another vehicle brand.

@griffsplaceyou ever fit those side air vent panels back mate to see how the printed model you made holds up to them? I see my car has one or two broken ones on either side but have not tackled it yet to see whats going on back there.

I sold them on to the person who asked for them, never got any feedback, so either he never used them, or fitted and all has been good.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SupraTRD_MK4 said:

Lower cowl to fit around my paddle shift and still work with OEM upper cowl designed and 3d printed, Started sanding it smooth and gave it a few coats of primer.  Then the other week I modelled the upper as mine was missing some of the locating tangs. 

I noticed during the trial fit that as I'm trying to use the standard screw holes into the upper cowl they're compromising the clearance between the cowls and rear of the steering wheel. 

So as I have both modelled now I'm going to modify both models this month so that I don't have to compromise and then 3d print them both.

20210902_132730.jpg

20210902_132742.jpg

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

• Like 2

10 hours ago, griffsplace said:

I sold them on to the person who asked for them, never got any feedback, so either he never used them, or fitted and all has been good.

Yeah that was me, I still haven't had got around to fitting them 😅

Its just sitting in a box with the list of things I need to do on the Supra.

But I happy to update this thread once I have used and fitted them.

@griffsplace ah I see noted mate. Maybe I will trouble you for some later. Still no idea what I am gona do yet.

@Big Markthat really looks good mate. What did it set you back to make them? Modelling time, electricity, plastic material? Those look great. Remember when I was hunting them in Japan for my RZ model as Toyota told me its discontinued.

Will await the final piece after you done. Your flappy pedals are for the tip tronic RZ setup? Or you running a BMW DCT trans?