The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Why deep pockets?

RACsupra

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or because Matt has the advantage of the first turbo helping acceleration and giving a better 60FT time. Where as we have to wait 1500-2000rpm for boost in 1st gear.

Exactly

But I read your post wrong, please look below

I would have but my hybrids exploaded and a single kit come up and was back on the road in a month.

If I could go back I would never entertain single turbo what a waste of money to go slower !

Just look at this thread 10-15k single turbo build just to go slower the tuners have you under there power ! Look I to my eyes not round the eye into the eye :help:

We all know that just look at the drag racing times and I mean the list you need 600bhp to beat a 400bhp bpu , once again proving my point toyota had it right again :taped:

Its just tuners trying to releave us of our money for something you dont need

Down the drag strip up to 12/13 secs it might be less of a spectacle yes. However, rolling races and around spirited roads do you really think a BPU Supra will hold it's own against a single?

Yeah that's pretty much it lol, however it was a lot more expensive than a stock box...

I bought it from a forum member who went manual. I was going to shim my box but the box was for Sale at what I thought, a very reasonable price. I tried getting in touch with kaan (on here) regarding spec but no reply. There are various discussions on this forum about his car. All I know is it's a Titan built box, it had very low miles and kaan bought it brand new.

/QUOTE]

There is a lot of bullshit talked about the Titan stage 2 boxes being the same as a BL box or the basic line pressure upgrade that is on here (that shimmming mod was on Supraforums well over 15 years ago). The info I have gleaned from research is..

Custom Calibrated & Dyno Tested Valve Body

Dyno Tested Solenoids

Custom Heavy Duty 2nd Gear Sprag Assembly (in later boxes, no dates available from titan on when introduced. may be false. Will let you know if I ever kill my box)

Billet Accumulator Pistons

Billet Forward 7075 Aluminum Piston

High Energy Clutches

New Steels

New Bushings & Seals

New Filter

Titan were/are reluctant to put in print their exact upgrades, at least back in the day as it gave competitors a blueprint to build a bulletproof tranny. A quick search on supraforums has a thread 'has anyone ever broken a Titan stage 2 trans'. The feedback is very solid as to the boxes toughness, although I have no doubt someone will have broken one (just like V160s break), it is far from common and has run into the high 8s and 160mphs which I don't see a stock A340e doing. (these times are in the years since the titan blog figures, and are from supraforums so are not backed up by anything other than the community there)

And yes, I also run this trans and think it is superb. Slightly firmer shifts than stock but not by much at all, and certainly not under cruising conditions (it feels stock) and it also moves out with great pace... It does shift harder when cold though for sure. I also run Titan 3800 hi stall for added effect.

Edited by and1c (see edit history)

I would have but my hybrids exploaded and a single kit come up and was back on the road in a month.

If I could go back I would never entertain single turbo what a waste of money to go slower !

Just look at this thread 10-15k single turbo build just to go slower the tuners have you under there power ! Look I to my eyes not round the eye into the eye :help:

Yup I would never do it again ,they are great on a roll on and the noise and that's about it. Stu hagen sequential twins auto supra road wheels in the 10s with 600hp/500ft torque / problem is looks naff innit with the bonnet up in mac 'ds :D

Edited by chazuk (see edit history)

Down the drag strip up to 12/13 secs it might be less of a spectacle yes. However, rolling races and around spirited roads do you really think a BPU Supra will hold it's own against a single?

/QUOTE]

Absolutely no way will it, a 600bhp car versus 400bhp, there would be no contest.

The problem is getting off the line, if the car isn’t setup for drag racing a 600bhp car is going to sit there wheel spinning not going anywhere when a 400bhp car will be off.

If you don’t want to spend money on drag tyres/suspension you can tune that issue out with a decent ecu of course, lowering the boost levels in the lower gears, that will make a nice difference getting off the line.

Yup I would never do it again ,they are great on a roll on and the noise and that's about it. Stu hagen sequential twins auto supra road wheels in the 10s with 600hp/500ft torque / problem is looks naff innit with the bonnet up in mac 'ds :D

May be next time there should be a hybrid V single turbo shoot out?

How often does anyone actually do standing starts on the road though, it’s normally rolling acceleration runs I find.

A big problem is a lot of people with tuned Supras don’t spend there money on getting the car to handle the power. A set of semi slick tyres is a must and as wide as possible, decent diff like the OS Giken and ideally a BGW, they make a huge difference, not looks wise but to the way the car puts the power down once you’re moving.

You also need to spend money on the other parts like tyres and wheels and suspension and geo.

The stock set up is clearly very quick from a standing start you only have to look at the threads surrounding drag times and the money that goes into getting a car from the 12/13's to the 11's and then the jump into the 10's becomes very difficult in comparison. at the last suprapod traction was a massive issue with both the Baileys and the Guy with the 7 speed DCT running there times with less power I believe.

Lets see if a roll racing event is set up / has mass supra attendance and compare there.

Nobody here would turn up to a track day at Silverstone with a slammed and bagged car, with rubber band tyres on 20's and start making excuses for their terrible times and yet you've shown such contempt for drag racing and it has dented a few people's pride in this thread that is clear. Car setup is the most important aspect of the chase, every tenth of a second you gain in the 60ft is worth thrice at the line.

You have added more power to the car and one of two things or both has happened. You have not changed the setup of your car or you are not as good at driving it as Gran turismo has led you to believe. To say that a BPU Supra will beat or is better than a single turbo is a lie.

Also nobody has mentioned that a 600bhp manual car beat all of the automatics, like for like a manual cannot beat an automatic in drag racing!

So next time bring some proper tyres, raise and soften the suspension, and spend some time on driver mods instead of making excuses lol.

Edited by Hemanhead (see edit history)

Nobody here would turn up to a track day at Silverstone with a slammed and bagged car, with rubber band tyres on 20's and start making excuses for their terrible times and yet you've shown such contempt for drag racing and it has dented a few people's pride in this thread that is clear. Car setup is the most important aspect of the chase, every tenth of a second you gain in the 60ft is worth thrice at the line.

Now what's happened here is, you have added more power to the car and one of two things or both has happened. You have not changed the setup of your car or you are not as good at driving it as Gran turismo has led you to believe. To say that a BPU Supra will beat or is better than a single turbo is a lie.

Also nobody has mentioned that a 600bhp manual car beat all of the automatics, like for like a manual cannot beat an automatic!

So next time bring some proper tyres, raise and soften the suspension, and spend some time on driver mods instead of making excuses lol.

Spot on!

As I've said to you before mate, I'd love to bang some slicks on, stick in a TH400 with a 4000 hi stall, tweek the suspension and see what she will do. But it's a lot of hassle, looking forward to seeing what you can do with your setup though! It's already run some good numbers ;)

A big problem is a lot of people with tuned Supras don’t spend there money on getting the car to handle the power. A set of semi slick tyres is a must and as wide as possible, decent diff like the OS Giken and ideally a BGW, they make a huge difference, not looks wise but to the way the car puts the power down once you’re moving.

In a nutshell this is it, I remember many moons ago turning up at Santa pod and in a bone stock UK manual it's still not easy to get a clean launch, and Ian C's manual single was giving him all sorts of issues, auto's nearly always got the best times back then as the shifts are smoothed and give far less wheel spin issues. What's that saying from a tyre company "power is nothing without control". For drag racing the ideal is being on/just over the limit of traction at max power so when a single can spin up 3/4th at WOT on a motorway it's no great surprise launches are difficult.

15K? Nowhere near that especially if you've got a Syvecs ecu already. We are currently working on getting the conversion costs right down on this, what we are working on should be make it a much more viable option price wise, watch this space.

Will keep an eye on things for sure.

Wow! the posts in this thread have picked up better than some of the 1/4 mile time:) .... lol

Now i'm not one for knowing too much about the ins and outs of drag racing but, I can appreciate that theres too many factors involved to put timing differences down to any one particular item. I'm sure the syvecs control can be adjusted to suit whatever style you opt for but, most no doubt will be set up for road style driving than any form of drag racing?

I think after a good time reading various things, I'm now thinking that going for a better (possibly) gearbox option is the way to go. Like the idea of having a much newer gearbox with more gears and proper flappy control is the next step in the evolution..............

May be next time there should be a hybrid V single turbo shoot out?

How often does anyone actually do standing starts on the road though, it’s normally rolling acceleration runs I find.

Probably hard to find enough people most go the single route as it looks good and sounds good and the hybrids on stock manifolds are not good we all know they have a high failure rate, need the hagen manifold or the munaro one plenty of supras in the 10s in the states on road tires manual and autos with this setup still sequential but with 600-700hp and matching torque and you still have that grunt of the first turbo.Singles not just launching on the road but also goes for slow corners /exiting sharp roundabouts power delivery of a single just not suited to that and not everyone will want to run semi slicks on the road at 1k a set for 4k miles of wear or like you say have a bgw, agree on the os giken best diff that.

Edited by chazuk (see edit history)

Probably hard to find enough people most go the single route as it looks good and sounds good and the hybrids on stock manifolds are not good we all know they have a high failure rate, need the hagen manifold or the munaro one plenty of supras in the 10s in the states on road tires manual and autos with this setup still sequential but with 600-700hp and matching torque and you still have that grunt of the first turbo.Singles not just launching on the road but also goes for slow corners /exiting sharp roundabouts power delivery of a single just not suited to that and not everyone will want to run semi slicks on the road at 1k a set for 4k miles of wear or like you say have a bgw, agree on the os giken best diff that.

I have to disagree, the standard turbo setup when running higher boost is very peaky in its power delivery, there's a big kick on the 2nd turbo which isn't as linear as a single turbo setup.

/QUOTE]

Absolutely no way will it, a 600bhp car versus 400bhp, there would be no contest.

Sorry chaps, disagree with you there. Yes a single on the roll will muller a BPU car, but not spirited twisties, and yes this is from many real world driving experiences on Dragonball, with groups of very fast cars. Most of you know the cars I'm on about, and they way we all drive them hard. The Brussels run for example which was a DBv2, which is a very quick no nonsense trip, no one was getting away from from the BPU cars on the twisties around Spa, there just wasn't a long enough stretch of road for the singles to really start stretching their legs. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking a single, we were all flat out all day and all had great fun, it's just different conditions show the power of a well built single more than others.

Oh and paddle shift FTW!!! :D

Edited by Burna (see edit history)

I have to disagree, the standard turbo setup when running higher boost is very peaky in its power delivery, there's a big kick on the 2nd turbo which isn't as linear as a single turbo setup.

That's one thing I do like about being in TTC, getting rid of the awful dip before slamming into the second turbo, feels horrible. TTC is seriously making me consider a very small single.

That's one thing I do like about being in TTC, getting rid of the awful dip before slamming into the second turbo, feels horrible. TTC is seriously making me consider a very small single.

It does but then it makes it laggy, like a big single. The best single turbo kit I've ever driven for everyday use and response is Lee Burleys car using one of our EFR 8374 internally gated kits, its by far the best setup I've encountered so far and I've driven ALOT of turbo configurations.

It does but then it makes it laggy, like a big single. The best single turbo kit I've ever driven for everyday use and response is Lee Burleys car using one of our EFR 8374 internally gated kits, its by far the best setup I've encountered so far and I've driven ALOT of turbo configurations.

It does, it does unfortunately, but I don't notice much as I'm always on the gears with the auto on paddle shift, so using 1st gear on the auto pretty removes the lag for me, love the way it drives :)

Edit: And when I mentioned a small single, i mean a REALLY small single, probably reach around 450-500bhp, TOPS! on my UK fuel system, that's plenty enough, but on full boost earlier than the stock twins, and no need to go to the expense of an aftermarket ECU. I want to keep as much stock as possible, and just a tweak with a piggy back on my fields harness for fuel. Well that's the plan.

Edited by Burna (see edit history)

I was not a fan of TTC, the drone drove me mad, although I don't have your Flappy paddle kit. Much prefer the sequential, the mines ECU in mine smoothed out that thud of second turbo

Sorry chaps, disagree with you there. Yes a single on the roll will muller a BPU car, but not spirited twisties, and yes this is from many real world driving experiences on Dragonball, with groups of very fast cars. Most of you know the cars I'm on about, and they way we all drive them hard. The Brussels run for example which was a DBv2, which is a very quick no nonsense trip, no one was getting away from from the BPU cars on the twisties around Spa, there just wasn't a long enough stretch of road for the singles to really start stretching their legs. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking a single, we were all flat out all day and all had great fun, it's just different conditions show the power of a well built single more than others.

Oh and paddle shift FTW!!! :D

You can disagree all you want [emoji16] My experience is comparable to my car now against my blue BPU TT running 430bhp. It is a league apart when past 40mph.

I don't disagree that a well setup BPU car is equally as fast as a small single, certainly with older tech, but newer single turbos and supporting mods mean peak boost occurs earlier and is definitely on par with a BPU. Just look at the crazy 6266.