The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Why deep pockets?

RACsupra

£10k plus if being done by a reputable trader using new parts on a budget. Mine came in at over £13k for parts and mapping even though I was single already, just upgrading the spec. Off the top of my head:

Turbo £700-£1500 from basic journal to high power DBB

Piggyback ECU £400 through to full standalone top spec £3k

Fuel pump and lines £400-£500 most lines need replacing now and fuel pump too if increasing power

Injectors £600-£1000 depending on flow/capacity/brand

Manifold £600-£1500

Wastegate £300

Fabrication £200

Down pipe and mid pipe £300 plus

Various gaskets, oil return lines and fittings £200

Mapping £600

Labour £2k plus

That’s without any real thought behind it. It’s damn expensive.

If your auto some decent coolers and perhaps a built box. If manual a decent clutch/flywheel so factor in £1k too.

It’s all the other complimenting and necessary bits to take the power that add up too.

Greg

Edited by Sheefa (see edit history)

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know it was you lol

Glad your here care to share how you find the syvecs box control compared to stock toyota ?

Well let's get one thing straight lol I ran 13 dead at 122 mph on 600 hp setting and that had nothing to do with the box. The car was struggling for grip and had a rubbish drag driver behind the wheel and as mentioned the car was boost spiking at any higher hp and if anything it was the stock torque converter that was bogging me on the line - to be fair I wouldn't be able to tell the difference from the stock box in normal drive mode and yes the gear changes are more aggressive in sport mode but do not make normal driving any different unless you are driving like a lunatic. The reason I wanted syvecs to control the box was to add the flappy paddle which is much better everyday usage than the old Manu mode and it's easier to control when you want to have a bit of fun on the road. I must admit if Burna's auto upgrade had been around earlier I would have probably gone that route rather than Syvecs control.

Well that's another £15k to throw in the pot then.

Single and budget have never, and will never go in the same sentence.

15K? Nowhere near that especially if you've got a Syvecs ecu already. We are currently working on getting the conversion costs right down on this, what we are working on should be make it a much more viable option price wise, watch this space.

Well let's get one thing straight lol I ran 13 dead at 122 mph on 600 hp setting and that had nothing to do with the box. The car was struggling for grip and had a rubbish drag driver behind the wheel and as mentioned the car was boost spiking at any higher hp and if anything it was the stock torque converter that was bogging me on the line - to be fair I wouldn't be able to tell the difference from the stock box in normal drive mode and yes the gear changes are more aggressive in sport mode but do not make normal driving any different unless you are driving like a lunatic. The reason I wanted syvecs to control the box was to add the flappy paddle which is much better everyday usage than the old Manu mode and it's easier to control when you want to have a bit of fun on the road. I must admit if Burna's auto upgrade had been around earlier I would have probably gone that route rather than Syvecs control.

Romain will be mapping the car so will discuss this with him when I'm ready.

Its not a dig john but you can hear the gear change not being right , if thats down to a higher rev limit and more power and harder gear change it just seems to take longer sorry might be me

I was also runing 13.dead a 13.02 116mph to be percise with a Precision T6765 older, larger turbo then yours maxing out boost at 1.4 bar

Not a willy waving exercise but more to show the gearbox control is killing your time.

I will shut right up and eat my words if you can honistly say that the syvecs controls the autobox as well as stock in auto mode driving like you should (meaning hard ).?

15K? Nowhere near that especially if you've got a Syvecs ecu already. We are currently working on getting the conversion costs right down on this, what we are working on should be make it a much more viable option price wise, watch this space.

This sounds like great news Paul for those of us on the verge of going single

Its not a dig john but you can hear the gear change not being right , if thats down to a higher rev limit and more power and harder gear change it just seems to take longer sorry might be me

I was also runing 13.dead a 13.02 116mph to be percise with a Precision T6765 older, larger turbo then yours maxing out boost at 1.4 bar

Not a willy waving exercise but more to show the gearbox control is killing your time.

I will shut right up and eat my words if you can honistly say that the syvecs controls the autobox as well as stock in auto mode driving like you should (meaning hard ).?[/quote

You may be right but again my car is not set up for drag racing and most of my time was lost on the start 60 ft time not on gear change speed.

Unless you watched all of my runs only the first three were ok then tried flappy paddle which is the 3 runs I think you may have seen when it was hitting rev limiter and spiking which is when syvecs starts cutting in which makes it run badly and sound funny. I am not saying it is better than stock ecu but it's not as bad as you make it sound. Maybe both of us could be faster down the strip but remember both our times were beaten by 300ths of a second by a BPU TT and two 700 hp manuals so we weren't that far off on the day. All I can say is you need to come out in it to experience it for yourself

Edited by jcbt (see edit history)

I will shut right up and eat my words if you can honistly say that the syvecs controls the autobox as well as stock in auto mode driving like you should (meaning hard ).?

I don't get what you're trying to get at Gary if I'm being honest, how is the gearbox control killing our times? The thing that kills our times is the stock torque converter, and you should know that because you also have a stock converter. We've had a precision industries 3800rpm hi stall fitted previously and run a 12.065@128mph at 607bhp and dad will happily back that up. But we opted to swap back to the stock converter because the hi stall sucked on the street, and at the end of the day it's a street car we use quite often and travel around Europe in it.

I think my points being missed ! Both our cars where not set up for drag your car has 100bhp over mine a state of the art ecu a built auto but yet its still comparable to mine being single auto with stock converter, on paper your car should kill mine but yet we put out identical times ,

I belive this time loss being the control of the autobox not much else it can be right ?. I hear people moan about the control of the autobox but none posts it

All Im trying to say is when you mess with anything ecu, injector, cam, gearbox the car is never as driver friendly as the day you first went bpu

I think my points being missed ! Both our cars where not set up for drag your car has 100bhp over mine a state of the art ecu a built auto but yet its still comparable to mine being single auto with stock converter, on paper your car should kill mine but yet we put out identical times ,

I belive this time loss being the control of the autobox not much else it can be right ?. I hear people moan about the control of the autobox but none posts it

All Im trying to say is when you mess with anything ecu, injector, cam, gearbox the car is never as driver friendly as the day you first went bpu

I'd say it's more to do with the stock torque converter, the boost issues we was having on the day, the 50mph headwind that everyone struggled with. We was hitting 2.3/2.5bar of boost on a 1.6bar setting and was boost spiking bad, just one of them things....why do you think the Syvecs isn't doing its job? Why do you think the Toyota ECU is better? As dad previously said, you need to go out in dads supra and get a flavour of what it can do on the street. I'll happily take you out in it and show you the sport auto mode, flappy paddle setup etc...

We could easily put a TH400 gearbox and 4000rpm hi stall in the car, wack a pair of Mickey Thompson radials on and probably run mid 10's all day.

Edited by Chris Bailey (see edit history)

But i have the stock torque converter also ! So its not that

Well it looks like your gonna have to take me out then lol

I think the syvecs isint doing its job because of the times I hear people comment about it not being quite right , plus the times your dad just put down ( with the 3800 running the syvecs as piggy back for auto you might have been into 11's ) cant prove any of this but your dad might have a idea

I think the stock Toyota is better because I havent heard people moan just compliment

Why pay for something that doesn't gain you anything but gives you more of a head ache

Edited by mellonman (see edit history)

But i have the stock torque converter also ! So its not that

Well it looks like your gonna have to take me out then lol

Why pay for something that doesn't gain you anything but gives you more of a head ache

Why do you think it gives us a headache?

Have a read of this Gary, http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?303036-Syvecs-Auto-Gearbox-Control-amp-SRD-Paddle-Shift&highlight=paddle+shift

Edited by Chris Bailey (see edit history)

I see what your trying to get at and too a degree I can understand your observations but

If you use that argument you were 100 hp more than the TT so you should of smashed him but didn't so why is that being you were both controlled by stock ECU. I don't know how yours is mapped but maybe they are totally different and the mods achieve different things throughout the performance range. I think we have done this to death now so will be signing off this thread.

if we are arguing over drag times, control of gear box, vs price etc etc just going to throw it out there mat did a 12 on the same day and hes bpu. ;)

We all know that just look at the drag racing times and I mean the list you need 600bhp to beat a 400bhp bpu , once again proving my point toyota had it right again :taped:

Its just tuners trying to releave us of our money for something you dont need

Just look at jays problem with it ,

Kaans and your dads have similar problem with some sort of delay when going to the red line where the stock ecu dont

We can probably have the map tweeked on the gearbox, I doubt that will be an issue. It doesn't happen all the time either only happens on the flappy paddle mode when you're pushing it hard. It doesn't happen in "sport auto" or normal auto. You've also got to remember that this setup is fairly new do tweeks and adjustments will need to be made, I wonder how much time, development, money Toyota spent in the 90's on the stock ecu.

I see what your trying to get at and too a degree I can understand your observations but

If you use that argument you were 100 hp more than the TT so you should of smashed him but didn't so why is that being you were both controlled by stock ECU. I don't know how yours is mapped but maybe they are totally different and the mods achieve different things throughout the performance range. I think we have done this to death now so will be signing off this thread.

But thats because he is still as toyota designed with sequential twins ;) toyota getting it right again :smartass:

We can probably have the map tweeked on the gearbox, I doubt that will be an issue. It doesn't happen all the time either only happens on the flappy paddle mode when you're pushing it hard. It doesn't happen in "sport auto" or normal auto. You've also got to remember that this setup is fairly new do tweeks and adjustments will need to be made, I wonder how much time, development, money Toyota spent in the 90's on the stock ecu.

Thats the head ache I talking about mate

I would have but my hybrids exploaded and a single kit come up and was back on the road in a month.

If I could go back I would never entertain single turbo what a waste of money to go slower !

Just look at this thread 10-15k single turbo build just to go slower the tuners have you under there power ! Look I to my eyes not round the eye into the eye :help:

Edited by mellonman (see edit history)