The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Why deep pockets?

RACsupra

What ever ecu you go for make sure you retain the stock ecu for gearbox control regardless of what mapper says , they never work as good as stock factomondo. See and hear endless unhappy people with it ! Go through the build threads and pm some people for real road use opinions , you can buy me a pint later

I thought the syvecs was used to control the box, making it faster smoother shifting etc ?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Syvecs S6 Plus controls my Titan gear box on a single turbo very well.

Some great advise on this thread, whatever you budget the safest option is to then double that budget, I bought what was known as a very good low mileage built engine that actually needed a full rebuild once opened up and inspected. £15k is the ballpark for a good setup done properly for circa 600bhp but you can very easily run into unexpected costs and see that rocket to nearer £25k

You need a flexi budget , and the ability to live on beans on toast for long periods of time ; lets say you have purchased the finest of parts available and doing everything yourself and you have finished it, It looks magnificent ..............BUT you have a misfire randomly between 1000 and 7000 rpm .

the cause is the crankshaft sensor screen cable is nipped and the alternator earth is poor , so a spike is sent to the ECU and it misfires , now ive told you the issue but now someone tell me how long and how much you could spend trying to find that and how many parts you could replace and still not fix it ?

Now add that one pin on your syvecs connector is half pushed back as well and makes an intermittent contact 10% of the time , this is at the same time as the first missfire happens - yep you are Mr unlucky - Now how much and how long to fix , given both issues actually take 10 mins to sort out ?

At what point will this car be on ebay with a " minor" problem to sort out -lol , or the worlds longest forum thread !!!!!!! or an overdose of beans

You need a flexi budget , and the ability to live on beans on toast for long periods of time ; lets say you have purchased the finest of parts available and doing everything yourself and you have finished it, It looks magnificent ..............BUT you have a misfire randomly between 1000 and 7000 rpm .

the cause is the crankshaft sensor screen cable is nipped and the alternator earth is poor , so a spike is sent to the ECU and it misfires , now ive told you the issue but now someone tell me how long and how much you could spend trying to find that and how many parts you could replace and still not fix it ?

Now add that one pin on your syvecs connector is half pushed back as well and makes an intermittent contact 10% of the time , this is at the same time as the first missfire happens - yep you are Mr unlucky - Now how much and how long to fix , given both issues actually take 10 mins to sort out ?

At what point will this car be on ebay with a " minor" problem to sort out -lol , or the worlds longest forum thread !!!!!!! or an overdose of beans

So true !

Only just got mine running sweetly after about 2.5 years, a shed load of money and multiple hours of endless labour!

Thanks for all the feedback. I had already decided that if thats the route that I go then all the parts would be new and considered purchases. Whatever I decide, I'm airing on the side of taking it somewhere to be done, rather than attempting it myself. Although I do like to do as much as I can.

Its doing the research prior to major expenditure and as mentioned within the thread, its not something I then want to change in the future.......... Theres always the Whifbitz BMW gearbox option to throw in the mix......

So what your saying is, if you sacrifice fast shifting its not smooth?

/QUOTE]

That is what I'm saying. It's an old box technology wise, it's never going to be as fast as it's modern day rivals. The Supra box can be tweaked, but you have to sacrifice in other areas, faster gear change, harsher change. More power through the box, creates heat, so extra cooling is required, heat kills boxes and if not correctly cooled will seriously reduce the life of the gearbox.

I'm leaving mine well alone and not going to mess with upping the line pressure etc... it changes quick enough in MANU mode, and you learn to predict your gear changes to suit the situation and driving style.

That is what I'm saying. It's an old box technology wise, it's never going to be as fast as it's modern day rivals. The Supra box can be tweaked, but you have to sacrifice in other areas, faster gear change, harsher change. More power through the box, creates heat, so extra cooling is required, heat kills boxes and if not correctly cooled will seriously reduce the life of the gearbox.

I'm leaving mine well alone and not going to mess with upping the line pressure etc... it changes quick enough in MANU mode, and you learn to predict your gear changes to suit the situation and driving style.

I have a Titan built box, with coolers ?

I have a Titan built box, with coolers ?

/QUOTE]

Is that a question? I don't understand what you're trying to say sorry.

Out of interest do you have a full spec of what exactly has been 'upgraded' to make it a Titan built box? It's been shimmed I presume, but what else?

I must say that i did mine myself with with used turbo etc off one of the guys here, used a piggyback ECU which i already had, mapped it myself, and i doubt it cost me more than 2K if that, but then i have no problem with welding and fabrication, and can also map so if i charged myself for the time you could add another 2K to that total.

When i sold it to a guy from Holland he used to regularly give it the beans up and down the autobahns in Germany, so no reliability problems for me or him.

Is that a question? I don't understand what you're trying to say sorry.

Out of interest do you have a full spec of what exactly has been 'upgraded' to make it a Titan built box? It's been shimmed I presume, but what else?

Hi no I don't have the full spec, the box was fitted to "kaans" old car and is supposed to be rated 800+ hp. All I'm saying is this box will handle power better than a stock box (I hope it does lol ! ) and it will be cooled.

I must say that i did mine myself with with used turbo etc off one of the guys here, used a piggyback ECU which i already had, mapped it myself, and i doubt it cost me more than 2K if that, but then i have no problem with welding and fabrication, and can also map so if i charged myself for the time you could add another 2K to that total.

When i sold it to a guy from Holland he used to regularly give it the beans up and down the autobahns in Germany, so no reliability problems for me or him.

Like Krister, strong diy skills will make a massive difference in the cost and hassle factor of single ownership. You will be close to unique re diy'ing the mapping side of things. I remember issues with cold start maps, and that you only get a minute or so to test things and then you have to wait hours to retest and re-tweak. I suspect tuners with experience have a good know set of parameters for 'x' engine and 'y' ecu but with injector sizes etc etc it must still be labour intensive. A mapper is more likely to say that'll do, where as you'd continuously fine tune it.

Hat's off to the single guys but it's a lot of money/effort to take a very fast car to an extremely fast car!

Hi no I don't have the full spec, the box was fitted to "kaans" old car and is supposed to be rated 800+ hp. All I'm saying is this box will handle power better than a stock box (I hope it does lol ! ) and it will be cooled.

/QUOTE]

So you bought a box that's supposedly rated to 800+ hp, and you don't know the spec of what's actually been done to the box? I'm guessing you got it at a real cheap price then, around the same price as a stock box? And thought well it's worth a punt to see if it will actually last that long at the power stated.

So you bought a box that's supposedly rated to 800+ hp, and you don't know the spec of what's actually been done to the box? I'm guessing you got it at a real cheap price then, around the same price as a stock box? And thought well it's worth a punt to see if it will actually last that long at the power stated.

Yeah that's pretty much it lol, however it was a lot more expensive than a stock box...

I bought it from a forum member who went manual. I was going to shim my box but the box was for Sale at what I thought, a very reasonable price. I tried getting in touch with kaan (on here) regarding spec but no reply. There are various discussions on this forum about his car. All I know is it's a Titan built box, it had very low miles and kaan bought it brand new.

Yeah that's pretty much it lol, however it was a lot more expensive than a stock box...

I bought it from a forum member who went manual. I was going to shim my box but the box was for Sale at what I thought, a very reasonable price. I tried getting in touch with kaan (on here) regarding spec but no reply. There are various discussions on this forum about his car. All I know is it's a Titan built box, it had very low miles and kaan bought it brand new.

/QUOTE]

Be interested to hear what it drives like compared to stock :thumbs:

Be interested to hear what it drives like compared to stock :thumbs:

Harsh gear changes and even harder when cold,

You hear people say the syvecs controls my autobox fine , yeah it might be fine / good enough but its just no where near as good as toyota , my 500bhp shimmed box with piggyback ecu was beating a syvecs controlled srd box with 700bhp at suprapod timed to prove it

To be honest almost every time when you start going standalone ecu changing injectors ect , the car well never quite run the same always longer cranking to start , often hot and cold temp mapping requires tweaking

I will put this here specially for mac srt http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?312625-Jays-VVTi-Single-Turbo-Paddleshift-build-thread/page57

Please read and mines a peroni ;)

You hear people say the syvecs controls my autobox fine , yeah it might be fine / good enough but its just no where near as good as toyota , my 500bhp shimmed box with piggyback ecu was beating a syvecs controlled srd box with 700bhp at suprapod timed to prove it

To be honest almost every time when you start going standalone ecu changing injectors ect , the car well never quite run the same always longer cranking to start , often hot and cold temp mapping requires tweaking

I will put this here specially for mac srt http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?312625-Jays-VVTi-Single-Turbo-Paddleshift-build-thread/page57

Who was that then?

I will have a read [emoji6]