The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Under body cleaning

Scooter

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am currently restoring the rear end of my Blk UK tt6 I have completely stripped the rear end and sills up to the bulk head any areas of corrosion have been taken back to clean bare metal as I think simply applying a finish over corrosion it's still there and will come back (no welding was required all just surface rust) then treated with rust remedy to ensure its gone and refinished. If any parts were corroded these were shot blasted including the super drager exhaust plus a few replaced with new including the rear UK brake shields.

All screws and bolts new and painted complete new brake and fuel lines including the return (mine too didn't look that bad but the slightest bit of corrosion on the surface could be far worse than it looks!)

All cavities wax oiled just be careful some come straight into the boot area.

The list of jobs is endless as I wanted to know everything was correct!

To do this is a huge under taking but the finished result will be amazing

You really need to drop the subframe to gain proper access to as a rust spot is the top of the subframe mounts on the body.

I don't think i'll be going full subframe drop, i've seen blythmrk's front subframe work and not sure I can match that. I appreciate all input what i'm keen on is taking my time before application as if done properly I don't think the those I might apply come off easily!

Good to know re the boot area and cavities, I think i'll clear out the boot inside (won't hurt to have a good look in there)

Plan tomorrow is part removal and clean up, will whip the rear wheels off and do the arches too. Will have a quick look under my other one to compare any already treated areas between the two (still not sure if what is showing in the above is all stock/factory protection)

Ok yesterday I got the following off.

Stock Exhaust

Fuel tank guard

x4 heat shields

Rear exhaust hanger

Rear tow hook

some sort of tank guard piece (drivers side near the wheel arch)

Plastic brake/fuel hard lines covers

Got some pics then of the areas under the heat shields (non protected from factory by the looks of things)

The hard lines, the bits above the subframe mounts (Blythmrk mentioned above - at least I think that's where he was referring to?)

Dark pic is the hard lines where they go right up to the boot floor (will try and get a nicer pic when the diff comes out)

UBEO1.jpg

UBEO2.jpg

UBEO3.jpg

UBEO4.jpg

UBEO6.jpg

The bits removed I'm going to test out the products I have on before deciding what to do on the actual body.

I'm not sure whether to go to town with the black coatings or try POR clear/silver to keep the look more original.

Chuffed with what I've found (or not found) so far.

Going to clean periodically for a while it's not going to get be done quickly, now I've got bits off I'm thinking I could get the anti rollbar powder coated and new bushes etc......but where do you stop! :)

UB7.jpg

UB8.jpg

UB9.jpg

ub10.jpg

ub11.jpg

Luckily I'm not really ocd, but equally what I do do, I want to do once and well if I can. I have to say despite being on my back with water running down my arm and gradually lying in more and more pooled water I really enjoyed it, which was probably helped by no stubborn/sheared bolts and not uncovering any horrors. I do think it's definitely going to be off the road a lot longer than I planned but no harm done.

Cheers, like you say those lines will have to be checked, I'm not counting my chickens until the diff is out and I can check the whole run. My plan is to laboriously clean along these from front to back, it's a pita but at least unlike bodywork it doesn't get ruined by the odd rainy day ie two steps forward one back all the time.

I'm tempted now to remove the passenger seat and lift the carpet a bit to check which rubber plugs underneath go straight into the interior and which go into a box section.

Looking good mate !

I had to do a wheel bearing on mine and kinda started to clean things up from there

Have a look at my last few pages on my build mate.. Mainly tidying up the arches and trims and re polishing the exhaust heat shields. I haven't under sealed my car though as its not rusty under there at all plus it lives in a garage with a humidifier when needed so just a good clean up for me

I want to get the rear axle off soon so I can redo all the bushes ect

Will be watching this to see how you go

Looks very good and only a little surface rust which is pleasing to see. Honestly do check out Zinc182 for the exhaust shields and guards before applying paint etc. It's great stuff and very durable.

After all is cleaned up nicely I highly recommend a light spray of ACF-50 over all the areas (avoiding brakes) as this will prevent further water penetration and keep it looking clean.

Looking good mate !

I had to do a wheel bearing on mine and kinda started to clean things up from there

Have a look at my last few pages on my build mate.. Mainly tidying up the arches and trims and re polishing the exhaust heat shields. I haven't under sealed my car though as its not rusty under there at all plus it lives in a garage with a humidifier when needed so just a good clean up for me

I want to get the rear axle off soon so I can redo all the bushes ect

Will be watching this to see how you go

Will check them out :) I'm not 100% sure what to do re the under sealing, so far the car has been used by me all year round not many miles per annum but never off the road so to speak, also has lived outside in the elements. Sometimes the all black can be overkill and look like it's just been slapped on etc, but I spose I'll have loads of photo's of before to prove condition?

Looks very good and only a little surface rust which is pleasing to see. Honestly do check out Zinc182 for the exhaust shields and guards before applying paint etc. It's great stuff and very durable.

After all is cleaned up nicely I highly recommend a light spray of ACF-50 over all the areas (avoiding brakes) as this will prevent further water penetration and keep it looking clean.

/QUOTE]

When you start looking into this there are so many products you start going round in circles about what best to use! I could go with that ACF-50 and not too much of the heavy duty/more permanent coatings and then just do an annual spring clean/monitor everything?

Will check them out :) I'm not 100% sure what to do re the under sealing, so far the car has been used by me all year round not many miles per annum but never off the road so to speak, also has lived outside in the elements. Sometimes the all black can be overkill and look like it's just been slapped on etc, but I spose I'll have loads of photo's of before to prove condition?

When you start looking into this there are so many products you start going round in circles about what best to use! I could go with that ACF-50 and not too much of the heavy duty/more permanent coatings and then just do an annual spring clean/monitor everything?

I know mate, there is SO much out there. But the ACF-50 is more of a protective spray and maintenance thing. Check the thread I started a while back. I would use the heavy duty stuff and then apply ACF-50 once every 6 months, certainly before winter to keep that moisture away.

That's my plan anyway.

Will check them out :) I'm not 100% sure what to do re the under sealing, so far the car has been used by me all year round not many miles per annum but never off the road so to speak, also has lived outside in the elements. Sometimes the all black can be overkill and look like it's just been slapped on etc, but I spose I'll have loads of photo's of before to prove condition??

Very true. I wasn't sure if people thought I was hiding something ... I still might do light coating with under seal same as what I did in the arches as it does look tidy

Just a heads up if your spraying under seal your self .. COVER ALL OF YOUR CAR lol that stuff likes to float around in the air and get to places you thought would be fine lol

Cheers all helpful info, sounds like I'll be getting covered too if I'm not careful! That's the upside of POR15 you can paint it on with a brush, not without its issues but it won't be quite so airborne!

I'm thinking of using the tow hook piece as an experiment, ie coat one half/side in one thing the other in another and monitoring it!

Also what I'm not sure on is where I've removed stuff that has a flat interface with the chassis do I then coat the chassis prior to refitting or fit and coat around the joint!?

Managed some more cleaning tonight, fuel and brake pipes cleaned some more, started to tackle the drivers side arch and I just can't stop taking bits off! Starting to consider taking the rear bumper off and dropping the fuel tank now (there seems to be a plastic grill right at the inside of the rear quarter that won't come out with the fuel tank in place!?) think this is going to snowball!

Before you start spraying/undersealing etc i'd pop into a local car body shop and see if you can buy a length of

clear masking film off them to cover your car

If you can't get any and want some let me know and i'll pop into my mates shop and get you some

and post it to you

$_57.jpg

Before you start spraying/undersealing etc i'd pop into a local car body shop and see if you can buy a length of

If you can't get any and want some let me know and i'll pop into my mates shop and get you some

and post it to you

Good call dnk the dust gets every where!

and post it to you

cheers much appreciated! I still trying to decide on the paint vs underseal vs even leaving most of it, I think it's going to be weeks before I apply anything, however I think that stuff would come in handy in general (and I probably will underseal at least parts) so pm incoming :)

cheers much appreciated! I still trying to decide on the paint vs underseal vs even leaving most of it, I think it's going to be weeks before I apply anything, however I think that stuff would come in handy in general (and I probably will underseal at least parts) so pm incoming :)

No problem, pm replied too

Ta Dunk.

Been reading about POR etc last night and have found out the different colours have slightly different properties/uses/viscosity. Also that POR goes better onto bare/rusty metal and so I'm not sure it's ideal for painted surfaces with a slight but of rust coming through? So my plan is to wire brush, treat and paint the rear subframe in POR as it's the most rusty/bare and I'm not so concerned with how it comes out.

Also the specific POR 'metal prep' should remove the surface/flash rust so going to try that specific bits, it can also be used to derust nuts and bolts.