The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Under body cleaning

Scooter

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok little time so been quiet.

Got the rear hockey stick off one side (after help from here) and again no nastiness! tested some bolts in the POR 'Metal prep' liquid and they are derusting nicely, it seems a relatively mild fluid so won't dissolve the metal/threads which some other fluid (phosphoric acid based) I have does.

The metal prep soaking success (ie pretty much leave and forget) has led me to look at other products and I've found a gel ( Bilt Hamber Deox Gel Rust Remover ) that you can brush on and leave, the beauty of the gel is that it can be applied into nooks and crannies and will stay where it's applied (thinking here of the rear subframe) so you can apply from under the car onto the 'ceiling' as it were. Will let you know how effective it is in due course.

yeah ive used it twice on my supra and it has uncovered the nice red undercoat, all the years of dirty crap gone, i dont want to keep introducing water to the understand so i probably wont use it again now. cars garage on i dont take it out in the rain at all anymore as have a little shitbox for bk and forth work

- - - Updated - - -

That is amazing!

thanks

I think as long as it's got enough aeration to dry it would be fine but I get you. I did see a 'cheapo not so powerful/effective' method which was a garden lawn sprinkler!

Do you remember if yours has the same crinkly under body treatment in the places mine does? (just trying to verify what's from the factory protection and what might have been added later at some point)

Ta seems mine is factory protection at least on the real underside.

I will keep my eye out for some deals, will need a karcher too what model is your main washer? (always been a bit wary of high pressure jet cleaning but it would be really handy for this under body stuff)

Amazon have it for £50 and a K4 Karcher for £170 which sounds ok?

Edited by Scooter (see edit history)

you dont have to use a karcher no. my washer is a nilfisk p150.2. i bought an adapter piece off ebay, karcher to nilfisk bout £15 . probably get them for most makes. i wouldint worry about the pressure, its a non issue. my nilfisk is a high end machine and one of the most powerful machines on the market £360 i paid for it, its 2.9kw, 150bar, 612ltr p/m flowrate, you get 3 different noozles with the chassis cleaner depending on the flow rate of your washer you change to the one's rated for your machine. it not powerful enough to damage nothing. that k4 be a machine. good price, think you can pick up the k5 in b&q for not mega money tho.

Edited by supraGZaerotop (see edit history)

Lee at SRD uses a guy called Chris, who's company is called CC Automotive. We've just had a full underseal and rust treatment done on the supra, also both sills straightened. He's done a great job and keeps you updated with pics and information. Total cost was £400, although price varies on what you have done. But fully recommended him if you didn't want to undertake the work yourself :thumbs:

- - - Updated - - -

Lee at SRD uses a guy called Chris, who's company is called CC Automotive. We've just had a full underseal and rust treatment done on the supra, also both sills straightened. He's done a great job and keeps you updated with pics and information. Total cost was £400, although price varies on what you have done. But fully recommended him if you didn't want to undertake the work yourself :thumbs:

Can you tell me how I can get in touch with CC Automotive?

I cant seem to find him on the forum. cheers

Ok sitting here at work watching it pee down outside, I'm starting to think that if we don't get a whiff of an Indian summer in Sept, I'm tempted to POR some of the removed bits in the 'relative' comfort or the shed! and then clean and ACF50 every thing and revisit the major subframe and undersealing in the spring? It's not like it's going to deteriorate in front of my eyes and I'd best check the other one in a similar manner to know where I'm at with that too (protect the slight Achilles heel - the fuel/brake hard lines)

Ok some more work done today, but the weather was a bit against me!

Both rear hockey sticks off, passenger side arch thoroughly cleaned, underside rust around the bolts holes of bits removed cleaned up. Went back to the driver's side and re did some areas, up by the fuel filler neck (rubber cover) and behind it (right back and high up) some surface rust back there, there is a sort of rubber sleeve over a metal seam that I've half removed (it's difficult to access) to clean/inspect underneath.

I'll need to remove the diff soon i think and triple check all the hardlines before I attack the subframe (will be doing this in situ).

Its looking really good on the rust front and I hope mine is like that when the tear down begins. Luckily I'll be indoors with the car on a 2 poster so it won't be weather dependent. Strangely though, I'm not looking forward to it. I'm sure it'll end up being fun and interesting when I get stuck in.

I'm getting a little frustrated how I can only dip in and out as I have so little time at the moment. Also it's all (endless!) clean and prep and will be for some time I think, however at least I'm getting a solid look all over the car, I'm seeing parts/areas I've not seen on any of my other Supra's in the 17 years of ownership! Also trying to take loads of photo's of the bits I might end up under sealing just to prove the condition beforehand.