Supra fire

evinX

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm just going to use the parts off it! The insurance said that they need a certificate to say the car has been scrapped at a breakers otherwise they are going to get funny! Has anybody had the same thought of thing happen

I'm guessing its a cat B write off hence the shell gets crushed

Category B

Body shell should be crushed. Signifies extensive damage, although some parts are salvageable. Should never re-appear on road, although reclaimed parts can be used in other road-going vehicles.

I'm just going to use the parts off it! The insurance said that they need a certificate to say the car has been scrapped at a breakers otherwise they are going to get funny! Has anybody had the same thought of thing happen

If the insurer is declaring the car a total loss B and the car is in your possession you should be able to strip parts off it before it is crushed. The car is all yours until you accept terms from the insurer and hand over the car. The prudent thing to do is advise the insurers you wish to do this and see what they say, it might just be go ahead and send in the scrappage certificate when done or they may demand you make an offer of money for the parts you intend removing particularly as this could reduce the scrappage weight/value. Insurers tend to work well with people who work with them.

People are crying out for boot liners, tailgates, rear bumpers and light so those alone would land over £1k with not a lot of strip down work.

As I said on Facebook, sorry to see this man. Car was lovely.

With regards to fire extinguishers, I carry a small dry powder extinguisher, but you would need a degree of luck to put out a car fire with one, as you only get about 6 short bursts. You're basically trying to coat the area that's on fire with a blanket of powder to starve it of oxygen. Trouble is if something is burning underneath then it could be difficult to coat. There is also the timing where depending on how developed it is fire extinguishers would just laugh at you.

In that situation copious amounts of water is your friend.

In that situation copious amounts of water is your friend.

That depends how "copious" your supply of water is. If you've got a fire coming from the engine compartment, and there's a chance it's been caused by oil leaking on the manifold, throwing a bucket of water on it could be very hazardous.

If you've got a fire truck you'll be okay, but then the car will be ruined.

Im guessing things have changed now. When I wrote off my MR2 tubby I wanted to keep the car for parts etc .The car originally went to a friends bodyshop after the accident where the insurance guy looked at the car and said it was a right off. I then informed them I wanted to keep the car so they just adjusted what the pay out was owed to me and that was that

Was 11 years ago though

There are plenty of cars running around UK roads with owners blissfully ignorant of worse fire damage at an early stage of their life, I would be surprised if any structural weakening or buckling has occurred. A full strip and soda blast works wonders ;) Depends how you value your time and how DIY you are. Is the interior damaged much? Would probably make someone a competition car shell...

There are plenty of cars running around UK roads with owners blissfully ignorant of worse fire damage at an early stage of their life, I would be surprised if any structural weakening or buckling has occurred. A full strip and soda blast works wonders ;) Depends how you value your time and how DIY you are. Is the interior damaged much? Would probably make someone a competition car shell...

The dash melted :/

That depends how "copious" your supply of water is. If you've got a fire coming from the engine compartment, and there's a chance it's been caused by oil leaking on the manifold, throwing a bucket of water on it could be very hazardous.

If you've got a fire truck you'll be okay, but then the car will be ruined.

In the dozens of car fires I've dealt with it's been water used every time; yes we have a fire engine at our disposal with foam and dry powder but water does the job fine. With a fire, expecially a car fire, it IS extremely hazardous, not only with risks of battery exploding throwing acid and fuel/ oil spitting at you. Actually the biggest hazard I would say in inhaling the toxic fumes that come off cars.

So if knowing about the hazards involved you don't feel confident of dealing with it quickly and decisively at a safe distance I would always advise calling 999 (even if you deal with it yourself as it could reignite). Official safest advice is don't go anywhere near it and leave it to the firefighters, but I know if it was my car what I'd do.

Yeah my battery exploded the front tyre exploded! The wheel rim isn't round and it has wrecked the other tyre! The tyres still had the stickers on them as the wheels and tyres all round have done 7 miles! Talk about burning rubber! Itso gutting sitting in my garage stinking it out and I cannot really touch it yet to see what's salvageable until the guy comes to look at it on Tuesday!