The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How cumfy are you at speed?

herbiemercman

I find the Supra to be horrible in terms of speed driving. I don't drive fast, never faster than 60-65mph, but even at those speeds the Supra seems to 'float' on the road surface. It doesn't feel connected to the road at all.

Sounds like there are maybe set-up issues.

What tires (make, model and sizes), suspension, wheels, bodykit are you running, do you have the undertrays fitted?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find the Supra to be horrible in terms of speed driving. I don't drive fast, never faster than 60-65mph, but even at those speeds the Supra seems to 'float' on the road surface. It doesn't feel connected to the road at all.

Take it for a geometry check is what i'd be doing first if its like that then post up the results.

Even on cheap budget tyres it shouldn't be like that

Take it for a geometry check is what i'd be doing first if its like that then post up the results.

Even on cheap budget tyres it shouldn't be like that

Couldn't agree more. When I had the geo done on the old supra it transformed the car, it became so predictable in the twistys, she was an na but I could push it hard pretty much anywhere and she just went. Before it even with decent tyres it felt unstable at speed. After it was planted.

Found my na great fun to drive on the track with tiens and decent f1assymetrics, no abs, no lsd and I didn't feel like she was going to have a wobble or problem at any point. Fab car.

Think you need to get your diff looked at Alex and suspension, if wallowing then springs can snap at the top?

I had a similar feeling with the car. I changed all my bushes for superpro bushes and changed my suspension with uprated ARB's and now the car is transformed. I check the geo once a year. Currently on the Lance setup, car feels great. Might have to get some bonnet locks, as hoping to go on Dragonball this year, and if we get on a autobahn then don't want to worry about bonnet flapping..... 😉

I would get your car looked at if i was you. a supra shouldnt feel like that....

Sounds like there are maybe set-up issues.

What tires (make, model and sizes), suspension, wheels, bodykit are you running, do you have the undertrays fitted?

Tyres are Falken Azenis FK453's, fronts are 235/45 ZR17 and rears are 265/40 ZR17. The wheels are the stock 17'' Toyota ones, no bodykit and the suspension I assume is stock. What are the undertrays?

There are under trays under the front bumper and engine, if you look down behind your rad you shouldn't see the ground but black plastic, but IMO this won't be your cause.

The other alignment suggestions sound more likely. I'd try and get someone who thinks their car is nice and stable to do a switch with you for a little drive around. In the meantime you could just park the car on the flat somewhere with the wheels dead ahead and measure ride heights, gaps from tyre to bodywork etc very crude but it might give some pointers.

Also an old issue was the power steering should get less assisted with speed and that this can sometimes not be the case.

Tyres are Falken Azenis FK453's, fronts are 235/45 ZR17 and rears are 265/40 ZR17. The wheels are the stock 17'' Toyota ones, no bodykit and the suspension I assume is stock. What are the undertrays?

Have you ever had the geo looked at ?

I would have money on it being arm bushes, happened to me a few times on various supras.

Have you ever had the geo looked at ?

No I haven't, I've had the car about 18 months and it has always felt strange. At first I thought it was because I wasn't used to it. I was cutting corners a lot as the steering was very positive compared to my M3, but even now I still can't get the feel for it. There is very little feedback through the steering wheel, almost like the wheels aren't touching the road at all, turning the wheel is very easy. I thought this was just how the Supra was set up.

Do automatic models have a different suspension/steering set up to the manual models from the factory? Mine is automatic, and it is the first automatic I had ever driven. I thought maybe the automatic model was set up more for cruising as the gearbox is pretty awful for responsive/speed driving.

Deffo something not right with your setup somewhere. I'd start with a laser alignment (not your cheapo tracking job) and ask them to check all the suspension components for wear whilst doing it. Anything come back on your advisories from the MOTs with regards to suspension or steering? Also worth checking the ride height as the front can feel floaty if it's too high

Do automatic models have a different suspension/steering set up to the manual models from the factory? Mine is automatic, and it is the first automatic I had ever driven. I thought maybe the automatic model was set up more for cruising as the gearbox is pretty awful for responsive/speed driving.

As Budz said something is not right and it will almost definitely be suspension related. Don't understand your comment on gearbox particularly when you said you don't go over 65mph ;)

Deffo something not right with your setup somewhere. I'd start with a laser alignment (not your cheapo tracking job) and ask them to check all the suspension components for wear whilst doing it. Anything come back on your advisories from the MOTs with regards to suspension or steering? Also worth checking the ride height as the front can feel floaty if it's too high

It had its MOT in September, only advisories were oil leaks. Can laser alignment be done at most service centres?

I love the adrenaline of high speed, been over 200mph many times. Every time I do a big speed run in a supra it looks like the bonnet is going to come up, defiantly something to watch out for. Forget what any speedo says. GPS only.

So much easier going 200+ on motorbikes. If you have an iPhone try the mototracker app, very easy to use. this was on my H2.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c338/jamie450x/H2/E9FB24D8-8E19-41C1-9A2A-D65B236C89D1.png

The fact you managed to average 75mph for 22 miles amazes me. Where I live I'm lucky to get an average of 7.5 miles due to the amount of traffic.

• 3 weeks later...

I had my geo set for the strip, can't remember it not running a good line for 1/4 mile.

On the road the same set up of fine for motorways.

180+ and everything flashs bye and still accelerating.

Has I've never done a high speed run with gps I'm unsure what top speed I've achieved and I know my speedo doesn't read true.

The car felt very stable and safe.

150/160 is very easily achieved has mine does the 1/4 at 123mph and is still pulling like a train.

I run Toyos all round and find theses good.

I had my old supra to 175 (speedo) and was really impressed how stable it felt.

my current one however does not! I don't think I've even cleared 140 more then once due to this lol.

It has new suspension, I've had the geo done (twice), wheels are all balanced.

it seems to wander at high speed so I will get the lower arms checked as jamie P has suggested