The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Talk Coilovers to me :)

ShawnPreece

Heres some more photos, a bit clearer on gaps etc

My wheels were 19 x 11 and 19 x 9.5 sorry i cant recall the offsets

Front tyres 255 35 19

Rear tyres 295 30 19

Pretty sure the Eibach pro sports dropped the car by 30mm front and 25mm rear, they're sadly no longer available

now as far as i can see

DSCF0598.JPG

IMG_0653.jpg

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whilst im here i may aswell ask a question about these :D

One of the 'valves' has been blanked with a screw on these.. will this mean its goosed of wont perform correctly? Guy doesnt want much for them and i only need the rears. Anyone had experience like this before with them?

Thanks!

IMG_0980.jpg

IMG_0979.jpg

Whilst im here i may aswell ask a question about these :D

One of the 'valves' has been blanked with a screw on these.. will this mean its goosed of wont perform correctly? Guy doesnt want much for them and i only need the rears. Anyone had experience like this before with them?

Thanks!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]216753[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]216754[/ATTACH]

Is there any gas charge left in it? To tell you need to remove the spring, depress the piston rod fully and see if it is pushed back firmly out by the gas charge under the floating piston. These can be rebuilt, but only with new top bearings, new piston rods, new pistons and new (but a lot better...) valving. Cost will be high. Whether the Schradar valve can be fixed is hard to say without seeing it/

Nitrons arer probably more track orientated with single rate springs. Dual or progressive rate allow a softer rate thet firms up as the spring compresses, so you get some compliance that quickly firms in roll or bump. Gives a much better ride and can give better traction. Progressive rate springs are much more expensive to make. You can achieve progressive rate with turn spacing, closer turns are are softer per inch of spring length than wider spaced ones. a coil spring is just a torsion bar coiled up. A longer bar is softer in twist than a shorter one.... Simple! To get the needed spring length for progression usually means going bigger diameter than the cheap as chips, produced in the tens of thousands 2.225 and 2.5" diameter ones. A cheap way to get dual rate springs is to use hefty "helper springs", those flat wire springs most often used with a very low rate to keep springs that are too short on their seats, and that collapse soild under the weight of the car. they can be obtained in very high rates and become part of a dual rate spring set up. Ultimate and lightest is a Titanium spring wound from tapered wire. Porsche ran these on some of the Le Mans cars and a friend has a pair. To me the Faberge Egg of the spring world! Sad ehhh? ;)

Nitrons are built with competition in mind and reduced internal friction. Bilsteins based on road car dampers are built for a good longevity with no rebuilding, so have more durable seals. Valving is similar, in longevity and sophistication. I was lucky to find a guy selling the only two sets of Eibach dampers made for a Skyline R34. Yes, Eibach made dampers. they were just about the best, cost no object, to break into F3, with Teflon seals, ultra, ultra low friction, with "Faberge Egg" valving. He had no idea what they were, how rare they were, or what they were worth. They were advertised as a box of Eibach shock absorbers for a Nissan. I was the only responder and got them for, well, not much at all. The original purchaser paid £1800 plus VAT per damper... Donald's got Melania, I have my Eibachs :)

Pub quiz trivia question. What VW road car had titanium rear coil springs as standard?

Edited by Chris Wilson (see edit history)

Thanks Chris

I sent you an email to price me up :)

Just for reference to other members

Nitron

We suggest servicing every 12-18,000 miles for a road car, obviously if your car is used on the track mainly this mileage is greatly reduced due to the much higher operating temperatures. I always tell customers to regularly check the adjusters are still turning freely and the clicks are still as positive as the day you received them and to keep the piston rod lubricated and free of debris and then to use your best judgment of when they will need to be serviced, most people service every 3-5 years.

Sadly we don’t offer dust boots for our shocks, you may be able to find spring socks that would effectively do the same thing.

If you want to focus on track performance then obviously you will have to sacrifice compliancy for the road, we try to keep this to a minimum however as performance is our main goal you will notice a difference. We also use spherical bearings rather than rubber mounts so you will encounter more road noise.

Spring rates for a track focussed car would be 700lbs front 400lbs rear.

Edited by Jellybean (see edit history)

Thanks Chris

I sent you an email to price me up :)

Just for reference to other members

Nitron

We suggest servicing every 12-18,000 miles for a road car, obviously if your car is used on the track mainly this mileage is greatly reduced due to the much higher operating temperatures. I always tell customers to regularly check the adjusters are still turning freely and the clicks are still as positive as the day you received them and to keep the piston rod lubricated and free of debris and then to use your best judgment of when they will need to be serviced, most people service every 3-5 years.

Sadly we don’t offer dust boots for our shocks, you may be able to find spring socks that would effectively do the same thing.

If you want to focus on track performance then obviously you will have to sacrifice compliancy for the road, we try to keep this to a minimum however as performance is our main goal you will notice a difference. We also use spherical bearings rather than rubber mounts so you will encounter more road noise.

Spring rates for a track focussed car would be 700lbs front 400lbs rear.

I'm in the house / bed with `flu, but will reply ASAP. Those track spring rates would be dreadful on the road, but i regularly see people run similar rates and wonder why they have frighteningly snappy breakaway and no traction.

I'm in the house / bed with `flu, but will reply ASAP. Those track spring rates would be dreadful on the road, but i regularly see people run similar rates and wonder why they have frighteningly snappy breakaway and no traction.

No Rush Chris , Car is off the road , might re-tax it today ;) Its been 10 years on my current setup , my spine is truely gone LOL

I'm pretty much decided I'll be getting Bilstein dampers and seem pretty easy to get hold of. However springs seem much more of an unknown. Are they a lot more "generic" in that any decent spring maker can make a coil with "x" characteristics/stiffness or are there certain ones to be recommended?

Is there a trusted manufacturer that has a range of suitable springs of various stiffnesses for example?

Let's assume I'm looking for stock rivalling performance/comfort as my back is similar to jellybeans, as are my ridiculous current coilovers.

Fair Summary?

Nitrons have

• No dust boots
  • Use spherical bearings rather than rubber mounts so you will encounter more road noise but positives of less compliance
  • most people service every 3-5 years (Road car)
  • Higher Cost
  • Single rate Springs
  • Reduced internal friction
  • 2-Way combined damping adjustment
  • high-grade materials protect against corrosion whilst reducing weight

CW Setup

• built for longevity with no rebuilding
  • Progressive rate springs (better ride and can give better traction)
  • Valving is similar, in longevity and sophistication to Nitron
  • No damping adjustment
  • OE Dust boots Fit (Sold separately)
  • OE Bump Stops Fit (Sold separately)

What spring rates are you running on the Nitrons?

Fronts are 700Lbs/inch 12.5kg/mm with 150lbs/inch 2.67kg/mm helper spring

Rears are 525lbs/inch 9.3kg/mm with 150lbs/inch 2.67kg/mm helper spring

Might add that all four Nitron units weigh about the same as one bilstien shock and spring! Never had any issues with the spring seat seizing and no corroding at all!

Edited by fastcar (see edit history)

Fronts are 700Lbs/inch 12.5kg/mm with 150lbs/inch 2.67kg/mm helper spring

Rears are 525lbs/inch 9.3kg/mm with 150lbs/inch 2.67kg/mm helper spring

Might add that all four Nitron units weigh about the same as one bilstien shock and spring! Never had any issues with the spring seat seizing and no corroding at all!

They are even stiffer than mine! Must be a rock on the road

Readng on here I think 600 lbs ins fronts and 320 lbs ins rear are better suited to a road car, not too sure if a Helper Spring would be a way around of trying to mimic a Progressive spring at a cheaper cost