The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Talk Coilovers to me :)

ShawnPreece

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Eibachs were more than stiff enough for me both on road and track days, dont think id want anything stiffer for road use

Fronts were 370-510 lbs inc and the rears 180-263

I was looking at the Spring rate register on here last night , range in stiffness is mind blowing ; mine did not seem to be extreme in comparison but I did notice a trend the fronts on majority are near double OE

The Eibachs are just in a section on their own , was interested in CW's progressive rates to compare

Helper Springs : if anybody is interested in a bit of nerdness

https://eibach.com/de/en/motorsport/products/eibach-helper-system

Contrary to the Tender Spring which usually has a full effect on the road behaviour, the Helper Spring’s only use is to fix the Main Spring in the spring seat when the wheel is completely released.

Thus the Helper Spring prevents the loosing of the spring when the wheel gets released.

The installation of the Helper Spring has no effect on the suspension characteristics of the vehicle. By using of the Helper Spring, spring-to-perch gaps of up to 50 mm can be covered.

I bought a set of OEM Yellow Bilsteins and Eibach springs off a forum member as a temporary measure when I got my car, with the intention of buying a CW setup at some point, and I've been really impressed with it. Great setup for a road car. I will no doubt go for CW stuff when these start failing, but for now they are superb.

I bought a set of OEM Yellow Bilsteins and Eibach springs off a forum member as a temporary measure when I got my car, with the intention of buying a CW setup at some point, and I've been really impressed with it. Great setup for a road car. I will no doubt go for CW stuff when these start failing, but for now they are superb.

Just out of interest, have you ever had a decent coilover set up to compare it to?

Just out of interest, have you ever had a decent coilover set up to compare it to?

I had Tein Superstreets on my first Supra, which were rubbish. I then had Aragosta coilovers on my second one (single turbo), which are comparable quality to Ohlins and Nitron. They were very good, but just not ideally suited to daily driving. I've also had Ohlins, KW and Jom setups on other cars (non Supras), along with many other aftermarket suspension setups. I have also had 3 Supras on stock suspension.

My main issue with adjustable 'coilovers' is , as Chris said, the exposed nature of the adjustment threads and nuts. These always corrode on daily drivers. Most people buy adjustable coilovers because they care more about how their car looks than how it drives :)

Interesting :) That's the first negative thing I've heard about this setup. What didn't you like about it?

Mine got a baptism of fire the year before last. Just after fitting them, I did a roadtrip around Europe, including some very long motorway stints, a weekend at the Nurburgring, two ferry crossings, and some amazing mountain roads, and I really couldnt have asked for a better setup.

All suspension setups are a compromise, these seem to be a great one for a road orientated car.

They are even stiffer than mine! Must be a rock on the road

Readng on here I think 600 lbs ins fronts and 320 lbs ins rear are better suited to a road car, not too sure if a Helper Spring would be a way around of trying to mimic a Progressive spring at a cheaper cost

They actually aren't at all! I was actually very surprised when I converted lbs to Kg! I'm pretty sure that can't be right to be honest, but that's what it says on the build sheet! Many years ago when Tein first brought out their Mono Flex I brought a set out of young foolishness! The Nitrons are far softer and more compliant on the road then them

I absolutely hate the bilsteins and eibach springs on the Supra.

What's your reasons on this?

I had the Tein Mono Sports on mine set up by WIM and my Bilstein B6's with Eibach springs is far better now. Traction is improved and a much more enjoyable ride on the road.

They actually aren't at all! I was actually very surprised when I converted lbs to Kg! I'm pretty sure that can't be right to be honest, but that's what it says on the build sheet! Many years ago when Tein first brought out their Mono Flex I brought a set out of young foolishness! The Nitrons are far softer and more compliant on the road then them

Maybe somebody more knowledgeable can explain why , only variables I can see is the actual shock oil , valving used

Because they feel awful on the road. Coilovers are night and day in terms of improvement.

The Supra suspension is coilover no matter what you fit

I did many thousands of miles on road and track and couldn't fault the Eibach OE damper

set up i had. I don't doubt there are better set ups out there but for the price I think they

were hard to beat

The Supra suspension is coilover no matter what you fit

I did many thousands of miles on road and track and couldn't fault the Eibach OE damper

set up i had. I don't doubt there are better set ups out there but for the price I think they

were hard to beat

Yeah, I (pretty obviously) meant complete coilover units. I've got a set of MeisterR GT1s now and they were about 1400 quid, so maybe I'm comparing apples to oranges. I just found the Bilstein/Eibach combo far too harsh for UK roads. I am used to cruising about in a Lexus as a daily though, so I've probably been spoiled.

Yeah, I (pretty obviously) meant complete coilover units. I've got a set of MeisterR GT1s now and they were about 1400 quid, so maybe I'm comparing apples to oranges. I just found the Bilstein/Eibach combo far too harsh for UK roads. I am used to cruising about in a Lexus as a daily though, so I've probably been spoiled.

Whats the spring rates on your MeisterR set up ?

Perhaps my car drove differently to yours due to the dampers being different which will of course

affect how harsh the ride will be

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Eibach Pro Sport Kit is a progressive spring 370->510 front and 180->263 Rear

Meisterr Zeta-R Coilovers (GT1 may be different) 784 front and 448 Rear

OEM is 430 Front to 219 Rear

Taking out all other variables the Eibach should provide a softer ride and roll control but considering they are progressive springs , Progressive rate springs generally have less total deflection compared to a linear rate spring of the same free length. This is because the closely wound coils needed to create the dual rates take up deflection space.

For grand touring and high-performance driving, progressive rate springs offer great ride quality and superior handling due to the roll control offered by the springs. This is especially true if a reduced ride height is desired. The initial light rate provides a great ride, while the increased secondary rate assures a load carrying capability unavailable if lowering with a linear rate spring is attempted. Most high-performance driving involves a fixed vehicle package with only one or two passengers and very limited extra weight. This is the ideal situation for progressive rate springs.

Based on this my conclusion is , Did you have your car lowered with the Eibach's resulting in having a ride height well beyond the rate transition range and the vehicle therefore will ride very harshly ?

No, car wasn't mega low. They came with the Supra though so could have just been buggered. I'm only using one data point for my experience with them, whereas I've had multiple cars running various different models of MeisterR coilovers, it may well be I just had a knackered set on the Supra from the word go.

Edit: It's also worth noting that I've gone for a larger profile on my tyres at the same time I swapped the suspension, which probably had a lot to do with it.

Edited by el_bandido (see edit history)

Could be , I think it is very easy to turn a Supra into a complete dog and extremely difficult to improve on OEM

I would be a firm believer in handling over power and I find all this Suspension Tech fascinating

One think I also noticed was the RSR Titanium spring rates are very reasonable in comparison to OEM but I presume due to the properties of Titanium vs conventional steel , How they compress differs greatly , lower spring rate but equivalent to a stiffer Steel spring