The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Stunning investment spec Supra for sale in Japan

j_jza80

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One just sold in Japan for pretty big money... just over £40k! (plus fees, shipping etc)

In case you were thinking Supras weren't getting any love from collectors paying big money at auction, we suspect a new record was set for a JZA80 today. This a grade 4.5 2000 model manual RZ-S with just 17,000km on the clock. Sale price - 5,125,000 yen, which works out to around $85,000 landed and complied in Oz.

https://www.facebook.com/ironchefimports/posts/1096897940379444

• 4 weeks later...

£46k, before shipping, fees etc... only 16k kms though.

http://www.carsensor.net/usedcar/detail/CU5157062578/index.html?TRCD=200002

Given these big increases in Japan, their stocks drying up, and the exchange rate, I wonder if we might start to see a new trend emerge - Japanese buyers importing from the UK. I know that sounds unbelievable, but I've read before that this has been happening with NSX's.

Edited by j_jza80 (see edit history)

Given these big increases in Japan, their stocks drying up, and the exchange rate, I wonder if we might start to see a new trend emerge - Japanese buyers importing from the UK. I know that sounds unbelievable, but I've read before that this has been happening with NSX's.

Its not a strange thing to see in the classic car World. You only need to look at the numbers of old Jaguars, Austin and MGs now coming home from the USA. about half of the e-types for sale these days as Yank left hookers returned to the UK.

Its not a strange thing to see in the classic car World. You only need to look at the numbers of old Jaguars, Austin and MGs now coming home from the USA. about half of the e-types for sale these days as Yank left hookers returned to the UK.

My dad's E Type is a 1 owner US import, currently undergoing a RHD conversion :)

My dad's E Type is a 1 owner US import, currently undergoing a RHD conversion :)

I was looking at an e-type roadster for moi. Is he doing the conversion himself or having a company do it for him, if a company who would that be. The parts cost of a conversion is nothing really and I've been told by a jag expert its not a long or hard job to do so i'd assume it must be fairly reasonable cost wise. You can still get roadsters in the USA for $60,000 that are when neat and tidy £110k here.

• 1 month later...

Nice, fairly low miles (70k kms) investment spec car in Japan, just under £26k before shipping etc. Not bad in the current market.

http://www.goo-net-exchange.com/usedcars/TOYOTA/SUPRA/700050325430161125001/index.html

Very nice condition GZ here, can't be many in this condition now.

http://www.goo-net-exchange.com/usedcars/TOYOTA/SUPRA/945016101100204655001/index.html

And this excellent condition mk3 is more expensive than most of the MKIV's! :cool:

http://www.goo-net-exchange.com/usedcars/TOYOTA/SUPRA/700101006930160704002/index.html

Forgive the next stupid question then. If the plastic skirt is rubbing the paint off the metal, that means the skirt is moving? So how does the skirt move when it has like 20 fixings?

Chassis flex, door, bonnets, bootlids will move slightly. Where the skirt meets the bottom of the door, the door and skirt rub...friction/ movement will take the coating of and actually dig into the plastic and metal

Nice, fairly low miles (70k kms) investment spec car in Japan, just under £26k before shipping etc. Not bad in the current market.

http://www.goo-net-exchange.com/usedcars/TOYOTA/SUPRA/700050325430161125001/index.html

Very nice condition GZ here, can't be many in this condition now.

http://www.goo-net-exchange.com/usedcars/TOYOTA/SUPRA/945016101100204655001/index.html

And this excellent condition mk3 is more expensive than most of the MKIV's! :cool:

http://www.goo-net-exchange.com/usedcars/TOYOTA/SUPRA/700101006930160704002/index.html

Nice cars, but when you really think about it, bone stock supras really are boring/ slightly tacky. Somethings do need to be changed will all these new cars out there

You have to look at them through the context of the time they were released. The curved body shape was well ahead of its time, the spoiler mental, and the interior space ship like for its time. Remember, the basic design is over 24 years old now, so it really was pushing boundaries then.

Yes, there are things that can be done to improve them, and without a doubt some subtle lowering and classy wheels really being out the best, but no doubt Toyota did a brilliant job in the first place :cool:

Well the gentleman's agreement actually made cars like the Supra affordable. However certain cars like the Honda NSX would somehow get away with ridiculous price tags. Would you rather spend £100,000+ on a Ferrari, or a piece of shit Honda? Oh wait but Ayrton Senna helped with the design, that means it must be worth 5 times as much as anything else.:rolleyes:

Well the gentleman's agreement actually made cars like the Supra affordable. However certain cars like the Honda NSX would somehow get away with ridiculous price tags.

The NSX was pretty much completely bespoke, and revolutionary in its all aluminium construction. Relatively speaking, the Supra raided the Toyota parts bin. The NSX was supposed to be an Italian Supercar beater, and it was (it was so good that it was used as a benchmark during development of the McLaren F1). The Supra was a sports GT, predominantly aimed at cars like the C4 Corvette, Z32 300ZX and Mitsubishi GTO. Both very different, both very good, but there's no doubt that the NSX is a more exotic vehicle in almost every way, which justifies the relatively high price tag.

• 10 months later...
That looks to have done way more than 20k miles to me.

The wheel and gearknob look quite shiny for such a low miles car, and the brake calipers not quite as bright as some. I would definitely want to see some comprehensive history, wouldn't consider buying without. Certainly not at anything like that price.

Still, seems reasonably priced next to some of the US stuff...

Looks very freakishly clean. Mats are very clean. Seat belts looks mint. Seat boslter suggester otherwise unless a tubby jdm owner drove it..centre caps looks clean. On original shocks. The rusting on suspension nuts are the very early stsges of surface corrosion. And the exhaust flanges are mint. I wouldnt get too excited. Itll corode like any other car or supra. Unless a car is made of gold..itll never be mint. We can waxoly our under sides as much as we want. Some sort of corrosion will be there. Be happy with what you got. Mod the crap out of it and enjoy :D