The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Big Supes Z31 Fairlady

Big Supes

After years of looking and lusting, I finally got hold of a Z31 Fairlady.
/vbb/images/smilies/bbcode_cool.gif

The decision came at the time I was about to spend a lot of money converting my Supra to manual. After a lot of consideration, I decided against spending a small fortune to then depreciate it quite substantially in return. All it took was the Fairlady to pop up and then everything else fell into place.

It's a 1988 UK specification car (manual, turbo, diff cooler, cruise control) and it's in pretty decent condition for it's age. The underside is surprisingly OK! The boot lid has some nasty rust underneath the spoiler so me and a good friend are looking at making a carbon fibre boot lid. We were talking about carbon fibre front wings as well, but you then get into the realms of split moulds, etc.

Immediate plans are to remove the aerials and replace with a stubby S2K, poly bush throughout (it needs it badly), coilovers and to look at swapping out the gearbox for the Z32 box as it's stronger.

The car comes with an identical 'spares car'. UK car, built in the same factory just a month later. The car is also in really good condition! The only thing missing from it is a prop shaft and a dizzy cap. I'm a bit confused as to what to do with this car, but at the moment I am thinking about restoring it and just garaging it somewhere.

Me, Sabrina and Logan (the dog) had an epic road trip to get the car. It was situated in the Isle of Lewis just off Scotland so we piled into my Ford Focus on Wednesday night and drove until we hit the ferry terminal in the morning. Then it was a 3 hour ferry to get to the island. The Fairlady drove all the way to Southampton with no issues at all. :)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys. :thumbs:

Like it a lot but for me the wheels need to go along with the turbo sticker

The plan is to sell the wheels, put the Supra back on stocks and put the Ultralites on the Fairlady. :)

I was of the same opinion regarding the Turbo sticker, but its grown on me in a retro kinda way. :)

Does the Z32 transmission drop straight in? Shame we never got the RB20 engined version here.

Its a popular conversion, but at this stage I haven't done the research. I think the Z31 bellhousing is used to put on the 32 box.

I agree on the RB20. Apparently the vg30 is fairly tuneable so I guess we'll have to wait and see. Its a very responsive engine in it's stock form. There is bags of power low down the rev range.

I'd like to 1JZ the second car...

Thats one seriously fluffy dog (GSD?)........ must hate getting bathed :)

Cars looks good as well

Haha yes mate, he's a GSD... and he loves to be bathed! When he's dirty he will go upstairs on his own accord and jump in the bath and wait to be showered. :D

Supercool bud !(like most things in Scotland):D

Like IRN-BRU? :D

I could've picked you up from the ferry in style if I'd known you were coming up to Lewis [emoji41] I remember the car, sounded good! [emoji106]

Shame mate. It's kinda odd that you travelled all the way to my home town to collect your Supra and I travelled all the way to you to collect my Fairlady. :conf:

She does sound quite nice, although I look forward to putting a full exhaust system on. :)

Like IRN-BRU? :D

Shame mate. It's kinda odd that you travelled all the way to my home town to collect your Supra and I travelled all the way to you to collect my Fairlady. :conf:

She does sound quite nice, although I look forward to putting a full exhaust system on. :)

Well the car came into Southampton, but collected it from Devon, close enough though [emoji12]

Thanks guys. :thumbs:

The plan is to sell the wheels, put the Supra back on stocks and put the Ultralites on the Fairlady. :)

I was of the same opinion regarding the Turbo sticker, but its grown on me in a retro kinda way. :)

Its a popular conversion, but at this stage I haven't done the research. I think the Z31 bellhousing is used to put on the 32 box.

I agree on the RB20. Apparently the vg30 is fairly tuneable so I guess we'll have to wait and see. Its a very responsive engine in it's stock form. There is bags of power low down the rev range.

I'd like to 1JZ the second car...

Haha yes mate, he's a GSD... and he loves to be bathed! When he's dirty he will go upstairs on his own accord and jump in the bath and wait to be showered. :D

Thats brilliant!

• 2 weeks later...

Just took delivery of the second Z (spares car).

Still not sure what to do with it. The chassis is in pretty good condition and she was made a month after my current car in the same factory (both UK cars).

I think it would be a shame to let it rot and take the occasional part of it (that I could probably source online anyway). I might up end going RB25 or 1JZ.