The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Big Supes Z31 Fairlady

Big Supes

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After a lot of investigating and trying to source parts, it's looking like I am going to pull the engine from the spares car and build it over the winter. The VG series looks to be a great little engine that's well put together and has plenty of performance potential.

The plan is to go for a built VG33det that will be good for 700+bhp, but run a smaller turbo for somewhere between 550 and 600bhp. It should be quite lively. :eyebrows:

loved these they were the start of some epic japanese designs

looks lush mate and what a great duo of cars

as a choice goes to spend your hard ernt money seems like a cracking choice which will potentially be worth loads more

You said it buddy. :thumbs:

Looks wise, I love black so once the engine is out, I will prep the whole car for paint and a good friend of mine will come over and spray it for me. I'm going for something along these lines, without the oil cooler hanging out of the front. :D

Something Axl may approve of. :)

i got A uk TT auto which have thought about doing a manual conversion but really dont want to spunk that kind of money and love the orignal car

so you have inspired me i might follow suit :D

I am happy to have helped with the logical decision mate. :D It's really easy to get caught up with a car you own and love, but just as easy to ruin it in a time where they are reaching legendary status.

You said it buddy. :thumbs:

Looks wise, I love black so once the engine is out, I will prep the whole car for paint and a good friend of mine will come over and spray it for me. I'm going for something along these lines, without the oil cooler hanging out of the front. :D

Something Axl may approve of. :)

I am happy to have helped with the logical decision mate. :D It's really easy to get caught up with a car you own and love, but just as easy to ruin it in a time where they are reaching legendary status.

I more than approve my friend ;) love these old cars

• 6 months later...

Little thread update. Not a lot to report, but I started unbolting the rear subframe today in order to drop it down for poly bushing.

Once it's out, I'm going to have a look into sourcing a new LSD diff....

I may even end up selling off the entire poly bush set and go for the subframe from the S13 with the multilink, rear struts, etc.

Decisions...

Decided to go down the S13 subframe route. The benefits will enable the car to get shot of the trailing arms and take use of a multi-link system so it'll unlock far more options for performance/serviceable parts.

Dropped the subframe out today

I think these shocks have seen better days. :D

So, the list of things to do is increasing quite rapidly...

While I wait for the subframe and diff, I have starting pulling the rear end apart to start any body restoration work that needs doing. As expected, every single stud snapped off on the rear bumper and someone had put the rear lights back in place with a load of bathroom silicone at some point so they were a complete PITA to get out. :D

For the time being, I have removed the loose surface rust and kurust'd the areas.

Removed all the surface rust and POR-15'd the rear end today.

Took the diff cooler off, cleaned it up and gave it a fresh coat of paint.

The brackets for it had seen better days. They're now freshly painted and drying on my washing line, but for the time being, you can see the comparison.

The S13 subframe is here! Gave it a wire brush off. I'll get it painted tomorrow.

And, as per usual, my assistant was alongside the whole day...

Removed all the surface rust and POR-15'd the rear end today.

http://i.imgur.com/bP73tHH.jpg

Took the diff cooler off, cleaned it up and gave it a fresh coat of paint.

http://i.imgur.com/8rTNBgw.jpg

The brackets for it had seen better days. They're now freshly painted and drying on my washing line, but for the time being, you can see the comparison.

http://i.imgur.com/epRVUJ6.jpg

The S13 subframe is here! Gave it a wire brush off. I'll get it painted tomorrow.

http://i.imgur.com/wHue4N6.jpg

And, as per usual, my assistant was alongside the whole day...

http://i.imgur.com/i37UR7j.jpg

Some great work mate love this project :)