The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Recommend me a new car!

Chris Bailey

Hello!!!

Right so my renewal has come through for my fiesta, £1145! So I've been thinking about getting a new car as the fiesta is quite boring. Also being a Japanese car nut I'd like something Japanese. I've been looking at Toyota Celica VVTI 140's which seem a good all round option, sporty car, good handling, toyota reliability, reasonable fuel costs etc etc...

This will be my daily car, have a budget of around £2k. Open to suggestions, are there any other options? :thumbs:

The year has come around quickly since your last car recommendation thread :)

Mazda MX5 :) can find the mark ones and twos in your price range theres lots of aftermarket for them as well as cheap parts. they can look super cool. fun to work on and there rwd front engines. bags of fun and you can get jap imports :)

Prefer the ones with the flip up head lights :)

You can't get a nice Mk1 MX5 for £2K now. Most seem rotten, and mk2s aren't much better. You'd need £3k plus imo, I know because to want to buy a Mk1 at the moment, and it's becoming obviously I'll need to import one.

For that budget, a Celica is probably a good bet. DanTurismo had one with a lot of miles on it (300k iirc) and it was very reliable. Hyundai Coupe is another option depending on insurance costs.

Gen 7 Celica is a great car. 2003 onwards is a must and beware of cam lift problems on the 190.

If I was in your shoes, I would go MX-5 though, just because they are RWD. Celica was great (we had 3), but FWD has it's limitations when it comes to fun.

H.

Another vote for a MX-5, mate has just picked one up for a steal off a old lady and is thoroughly enjoying it, personally love the mk1 shape but my mates mk2 has a factory LSD and a few other goodies. He paid around the 1K mark although his has a rust bubble on his arch but could get something like that fixed well within your budget. As said though a lot are rust buckets

You can't get a nice Mk1 MX5 for £2K now. Most seem rotten, and mk2s aren't much better. You'd need £3k plus imo, I know because to want to buy a Mk1 at the moment, and it's becoming obviously I'll need to import one.

For that budget, a Celica is probably a good bet. DanTurismo had one with a lot of miles on it (300k iirc) and it was very reliable. Hyundai Coupe is another option depending on insurance costs.

Yep & his car looks like it has done 50k!!!

Thanks for all the replies.

I cant help but think an MX5 is a girls car, but could be a possibility. Will have to look into it further.

The celica does seem a good all rounder, I'm not to bothered about it being a FWD as I like Hondas so used to that.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep & his car looks like it has done 50k!!!

I'd have snapped that up if I was looking for a new car back then.

Thanks for all the replies.

I cant help but think an MX5 is a girls car, but could be a possibility. Will have to look into it further.

The celica does seem a good all rounder, I'm not to bothered about it being a FWD as I like Hondas so used to that.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd have snapped that up if I was looking for a new car back then.

Woah, you fit into girls Jeans :D

Civic Type R EP3! If you can get one for around 2k

Sent from my LG G5

Oh crap sorry didn't read EP3 is pricey on insurance. Get a Lexus IS200 or dare I say..300. Or check this

https://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/toyota-soarer-converted-to-manuel/1177874280?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=whatsapp