The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone tried one of the link ECU's

fastcar

Yes it can. You can add a multiplier and a Frequency offset to the input and send it back out via an aux line. It even does that sweep thing at Key on at a speed/time of your choosing (as can the Tacho out).

That's great news, thanks for the info Nodal. :)

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

£1651.20 INC VAT from PowerMax Engineering for the plug in ECU

As far as I have been told by Mark, all Link prices from Dealers should be the same unless they are running a sanctioned group buy or discount period backed by Link themselves

As far as I have been told by Mark, all Link prices from Dealers should be the same unless they are running a sanctioned group buy or discount period backed by Link themselves

Correct, You discount your installation and calibration costs to be competitive. Back in the Day Thor Racing (i.e me really) was the only dealer in the UK so it was Hobsons choice, now everybody seems to be one and I'm not anymore :D

I would say at least 2/3's were dealers before this became policy. Link has had a low profile on here due to Syvecs. Syvecs chatter seems to have quelled of late so more people seem to be looking at alternatives now Ryan is no longer here to map them very often. Link being one of them.

http://www.bellsautoservices.co.uk/ is a dealer of link based in Hampshire tunes allot of skylines on the link ecu has his own rolling road as well he used to be called rising sun performance

His prices are spot on group buy for the skylines ! 1500 fully fitted and mapped :blink: and a proper cold start map and all :taped:

http://www.skylineowners.com/forum/284-bells-auto-services/273762-link-g4-group-buy.html

Link G4+ Plugin Group Buy

We have decided to do another group buy on the fantastic Link G4 plugin ecu for the RB engine. The Group buy will only go ahead once we have 5 or more people on the list. Once we have enough people we will take a deposit and can get you booked in.

The Group buy is for the following :-

Link G4+ Plugin ECU

Boost Control Solenoid

Cas Trigger wheel upgrade

Fitting of the ecu

Mapping on the Dyno and setting up of boost control etc

RB25 uses will also require a High speed Air temp sensor and boss and extension loom which we will do for a Extra £65 which includes the parts and removing the intake pipe and welding the boss to the pipework etc.

The vehicle will be needed for at least 2 days to allow for mapping and cold start mapping etc.

Price will be £1500 which is a saving of just over £250.

Edited by chazuk (see edit history)

Good power readings from that dyno! My RB25DET engine, in an R33GGTS-t was rolling road dynoed a week before I bought it at 390 BHP at the wheels. I took the engine out the day after I drove it, (conservatively and circumspectly), home from the south coast. It immediately went on a proper, certificated, engine dyno. Somewhere between Portsmouth and Shrewsbury 91 horses went AWOL ;) And people wonder why I have a certain disdain for rolling road print outs

http://www.bellsautoservices.co.uk/ is a dealer of link based in Hampshire tunes allot of skylines on the link ecu has his own rolling road as well he used to be called rising sun performance

His prices are spot on group buy for the skylines ! 1500 fully fitted and mapped :blink: and a proper cold start map and all :taped:

http://www.skylineowners.com/forum/284-bells-auto-services/273762-link-g4-group-buy.html

Link G4+ Plugin Group Buy

We have decided to do another group buy on the fantastic Link G4 plugin ecu for the RB engine. The Group buy will only go ahead once we have 5 or more people on the list. Once we have enough people we will take a deposit and can get you booked in.

The Group buy is for the following :-

Link G4+ Plugin ECU

Boost Control Solenoid

Cas Trigger wheel upgrade

Fitting of the ecu

Mapping on the Dyno and setting up of boost control etc

RB25 uses will also require a High speed Air temp sensor and boss and extension loom which we will do for a Extra £65 which includes the parts and removing the intake pipe and welding the boss to the pipework etc.

The vehicle will be needed for at least 2 days to allow for mapping and cold start mapping etc.

Price will be £1500 which is a saving of just over £250.

Thats very cheap even taking into account you are not including the O2 Wideband add on Module

Syvecs I was quoted

S6 Plus

Syvecs S6 + with loom 2880

NTK wideband 220

Pressure sensor 144

3.5 bar map sensor 144

Boost solenoid 66

Bosch Knock sensor 90

Cal switch 50

Labour 250

Mapping and Dyno time 550

Adapter for oil pressure sensor 35

S6

Syvecs S6 with loom 2180

NTK wideband 220

Pressure sensor 144

3.5 bar map sensor 144

Boost solenoid 66

Bosch Knock sensor 90

Cal switch 50

Labour 250

Mapping and Dyno time 550

Adapter for oil pressure sensor 35

I reckon you are in Motec price range with 4429 GBP

Edited by Jellybean (see edit history)

Just become a link dealer so ill see what kind of deals i can get for you guys.

The plug in range is very tempting. No need for custom harnesses or cutting up the loom

Tim

TBDevelopments

Hi Tim please could you give me a price on the 5mtr A and B looms Cheers matt

I am looking into the PNP kit (6MTM, Non VVTI only) and have installed the PCLink software

• The ECU Tuning Function Online Help included with the PCLink Software is very useful and installation looks very simple via the tutorial
  • The PNP kit is defaulted to Supra settings and has a Supra Base map
  • I have not come across a sensor the ECU requires , it will be up to your mapper if they suggest using a faster Sensor over OEM
  • Any wideband controller with a 0-5V out put can be used. (i.e. Innovate LC2 or the MTX-L)
  • Any temp sensor can be used but if you stick to the ones we offer the set up is easier. The Bosch sensor is the best but not so easy to mount.

Few open Questions I have on the Link Forum for the PNP kit

Engine protection strategies

I am looking through the engine protection strategies on the ecu tuning function online help and I don't see anything mentioned about knock , setting thresholds for oil, fuel pressure to trigger a limp home mode ; is it possible in the pnp kit; I know you can get an external Link Knock add on or if you can use the OEM knock Sensor

Here is what listed under Engine Protection

Engine Protection features are offered to reduce the risk of engine damage due to unexpected circumstances. The following conditions will invoke RPM limits:

· RPM Limit - Prevents engine RPM increasing beyond a specified value.

· MAP Limit - Prevents manifold pressure from exceeding a specified value.

· GP RPM Limit - Use configurable 3D tables for engine RPM limiting.

· Speed Limit - Prevents vehicle speed from exceeding a specified value.

· System Voltage Limit - Shuts down the ECU if system voltage exceeds a specified value.

Traction Control

I Presume I would need a digital signal from the ABS sensors

Link Quick fuel tuning

Not too sure if this is VE Tuning?

OK so it has an rpm, boost and speed limit functions, none of which should invoke limp mode as they are normal limiting factors used on most ECUs.

What configurable features / alarms / limits would invoke limp mode?

With my PNP Link ECU, I use the external Knock Link unit with the factory knock sensors. Without the external knock unit I think you can just log knock (don't quote me), but not use it to limit the engine which mine can do.

I have fuel pressure limiting the engine. It uses a digital fuel pressure signal and a spare ECU map to limit the engine, if fuel pressure drops too low. I have staged fuel pumps as well with second one kicking in at 15 psi boost.

You could also do the same with oil pressure as well.

If you swap to a 2 wire ISCV, you can free up at least 2 inputs (outputs?) as the mkiv ISCV uses 4 wires.

There is no traction control with the Link PNP, you would need the Fury or Thunder (better option as has high speed sensors that can be used with ABS without needing a signal divider).

The Link PNP does not have VE tuning, but that is available on some later model Link ECU's. e.g. G4+, Fury, Thunder

Edited by V8KILR
Added more info (see edit history)

I was talking to Simon (Link Tech) , here'd a summary of the ECU's , might help with some Q's

http://forums.linkecu.com/index.php?/topic/5795-mk4-supra-ecu/#comment-42092

http://forums.linkecu.com/index.php?/topic/5601-help-on-which-ecu-to-run-mk4-supra/#comment-40815

http://forums.linkecu.com/index.php?/topic/1964-supra-plug-and-play-ecu/#comment-25535

You have two Options for manual cars (Nothing is available for Auto Trans to date)

• Supra PNP kit (Based on the xtreme Link ECU) ,
  • For wideband control you will need to add any wideband controller with a 0-5V output . (i.e. Innovate LC2 or the MTX-L)
  • Plugin is intended for Supra's with single turbo conversions
  • Fury with built in Wideband controller (Uses Bosch LSU 4.9 sensor and loom-side plug/pin kit)
  • The Supra plug-in base-map can be loaded into the Fury. You will need to adjust the AN Volt, AN Temp, Digital Input, and Aux Output channels to suit.

• The ECU Tuning Function Online Help included with the PCLink Software is very useful and installation looks very simple via the tutorial
  • The PNP kit is defaulted to Supra settings and has a Supra Base map
  • I have not come across a sensor the ECU requires , it will be up to your mapper if they suggest using a faster Sensor over OEM
  • Any wideband controller with a 0-5V out put can be used. (i.e. Innovate LC2 or the MTX-L)
  • Any temp sensor can be used but if you stick to the ones we offer the set up is easier. The Bosch sensor is the best but not so easy to mount.

VVTI Vesus Non-VVTI

The vvti motors use a different type of ECU loom plugs so the non vvti ECU doesn't physically plug in. Workaround is to use one of the universal ECU's and a fields-type adapter harness to make a plugin loom if you don't want to mod the stock ECU. Fury ECU is recommended for VVTI

Running Sequential Vs TTC(Turbos in Parallel)

For the twin turbo setup to work like factory, you will need to wire in all the control solenoids and then attempt to program the logic to control them like factory. Or you can do a simpler TTC setup which is easier to control electronically: http://mkiv.supras.org.nz/articles/andy.htm

The plugin only has the one output configure and is intended for parallel twins or a single conversion.

Sensors

The stock knock sensors, water temp sensor, Crank/Cam triggers all work with the link. The stock oil pressure switch is a bit useless, better off replacing it with a 150psi TI pressure sensor , the stock Toyota air temp sensor in the plenum with a faster acting sensor, the Fury uses the Bosch LSU 4.9 sensor and loom-side plug/pin kit

Engine protection strategies

I am looking through the engine protection strategies on the ecu tuning function online help and I don't see anything mentioned about knock , setting thresholds for oil, fuel pressure to trigger a limp home mode ; I know you can get an external Link Knock add on

Here is what listed under

Engine Protection

Engine Protection features are offered to reduce the risk of engine damage due to unexpected circumstances. The following conditions will invoke RPM limits:

· RPM Limit - Prevents engine RPM increasing beyond a specified value.

· MAP Limit - Prevents manifold pressure from exceeding a specified value.

· GP RPM Limit - Use configurable 3D tables for engine RPM limiting.

· Speed Limit - Prevents vehicle speed from exceeding a specified value.

· System Voltage Limit - Shuts down the ECU if system voltage exceeds a specified value.

Knock Control

Knock control can be setup to detect (and log) only, or to retard ignition timing when required. This is accessed through ECU Settings > Knock Control. The GP RPM Limit table axis are adjustable, so you can put oil pressure, fuel pressure, etc on these tables, and then control the allowed engine speed to make a limp home level. This is possible on the plug in ECUs provided they have the required input data.

The knock control will try to remove timing if set up but there are no limits around it to actually limit the engine.

Traction Control

The traction control needs a driven and non-driven wheel speed source.

Traction control on the Supra would need additional wheel speed inputs wired in. The frequency off the ABS sensor will be too high for the Di inputs. You need inputs will a lower tooth count to keep the frequency under 500Hz

Link Quick fuel tuning

'Quick Trim' (M key when on fuel table) is used to quickly get PCLink to make a change to the fuel table based upon the data you enter. 'Quick Tune' is a tool for helping you live tune the fuel table, it is more comprehensive than the Quick Trim.

Quick tune is tuning tool and as such I guess you could say it is VE tuning as you are tuning to suit the VE of the engine.

Regarding traction control, you can just use frequency dividers (use divide by 4) to get ABS signal to a usable range for Link ECUs other then the Thunder, which has high speed sensors. Way easier then trying to change the tooth count of the ABS. :)