The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone tried one of the link ECU's

fastcar

My Skyline Motec set up has no knock control. It's mapped conservatively. KISS :) (Or read cheap....). If you aren't trying to control the stock sequential turbo stuff I am sure it would be just fine. Maybe it would have enough outputs to do the sequential too, wih a bit of jiggery pokery, like running a different idle control valve? Are you trying to run stock twin turbos?

My Volvo engine project ( 4 cylinder 2.8 stroker) may get treated to knock monitoring, if not control, as it's a big bore engine operating at high torque. Big bore engines are far more likely to knock than a small bore, due to the long flame travel. It also has old school 2 valves per cylinder, in an old school head chamber shape, but I can do some work to help it a bit there.

Don't read into any of my ramblings that I am any kind of mapping or ECU expert though, I am not!! I do understand the basic parameters a 4 stroke petrol engine desires though, to a reasonable extent.

Motec! LOL didnt know you had a Motec in there, I tried to get a Motec priced up here but nobody is interested , they just want to push PNP Ecu's

I would like to retain the sequential's , I talked to two mappers here , one said they are 23 year old Turbos so get a single LOL eh no, and the 2nd I am still waiting on a price for the last 10 days, when I rang after 7 days they got very irate me as they are too busy so I doubt it anything will come to fruition , Parallel is as good as I can get

I appreciate what you call "ramblings" :), as good as the forums are for aftermarket Ecu's , they lend themselfs to each manufacturer pissing on each others parade to get a sale , I am not fully up to speed on the Jargon or some basics like Knock protection, injector algorithms; I am sure alot of features between these ECU's are the same but just worded in high tech jargon to give off the illusion of more sophisticated circuitry/Software strategies over their competitor

Especially with hardware you have to question the price gap and especially why other competitors ship high end sensors with their ECU when other use OEM ; just trying to gauge is Competitor A worth the extra $$$ over B and weed out the marketing propaganda; its not easy

I do appreciate your and other members input!

AEM, Syvecs, Link the two mappers have experience with them and said they will and can map them, the mapper I cannot get a price out of is pushing link and the other pushes Haltech but is a recent link dealer , Haltech I dont like as very few people in europe are within their dealer network; support might be an issue

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though an M800 is quite dear you would have the savings in that a Motec mapper of renown has the maps at his disposal to run the sequential turbos and if needed the VVTi fly by wire using the stock sensors. This will save a LOT of mapping costs compared to someone who comes to an ECU as a blank canvass. As it was his own MKIV manual VVTi he mapped and sorted the sequential turbo control on it would not be unreasonable to say he will have taken considerable interest in perfecting this ;) There were no loom changes in achieving this control, he may even still have the plug and play loom for sale...

The stock sequential system is not complicated the issue with most ECUs is the number of IO available, the sequential system requires three outputs, the only PnP I know to do this are the AEM v1 and Apexi PFC.

As Chris mentioned, if you could swap the IACV from a 4 wire to a 2 wire device and the ECU you chose had a strategy available you could do it ;)

The stock sequential system is not complicated the issue with most ECUs is the number of IO available, the sequential system requires three outputs, the only PnP I know to do this are the AEM v1 and Apexi PFC.

As Chris mentioned, if you could swap the IACV from a 4 wire to a 2 wire device and the ECU you chose had a strategy available you could do it ;)

The F-con being a piggyback style standalone will keep sequential operation by retained the OEM ECU.

Of course dependent if you have a mapper for it.

or just use the additional outputs on the internal expansion connector.

If you want to run a single turbo, the best functionality (but highest cost) is provided by the wire-in Link ECUs. In order of best functionality for the wire in ones are: Thunder, Fury, G4+, G4

However, the PNP will work out cheaper after all labour charges, it is simpler to install and can easily be removed and changed back to the stock ECU if selling the car. When I bought mine the best wire-in was the G4.

Personally I will be upgrading from my Link PNP to a Thunder at some stage, but only because I want the high speed ABS capable sensors it has for setting up traction control. :) The PNP does everything else I need for the street and the drag strip.

Saw a Supra vvti with link, rev counter erratic, it uses a 6cyl ford coil, 2 wire idle valve which u have to flick the throttle to get revs to drop, wasn't controlling power steering electric valves so steering heavy!

Ecu was spliced in so its not the pnp kit

I presume down to the ability or lack of from the mapper

Sorry I mean why use Ford coils on it!

Because they are cheap and plentiful and the connector kits are easy to find. To be fair they will be Bosch or Delco so they will be well up to the job, but you are adding 3 extra HT leads into the equation. Again I suspect the idle unit was one of those big 2 pin Bosch drum units, again a bit ugly but do the job, handy for a bit of anti lag too, where as the stock units are just pains in the arse as they are so slow to react.The Link drives them fine but they HAVE to be wired to aux 5,6,7,8 for stepper control. Having said that the single and dual PWM units also have to be wiried to Aux 1 and 2 as Master or Slave and Master. The wonky tacho could be anything, not a usual Link trate. The Steering weight is a mutually exclusive system with its own ECU which the engine ecu has no control over. The only thing they share is the speed signal from the Odometer.

I think I've worked out how to do the oil pressure engine Kill on the Link which seems to be the holy grail of ecu feature so it would seem :)

Because they are cheap and plentiful and the connector kits are easy to find. To be fair they will be Bosch or Delco so they will be well up to the job, but you are adding 3 extra HT leads into the equation. Again I suspect the idle unit was one of those big 2 pin Bosch drum units, again a bit ugly but do the job, handy for a bit of anti lag too, where as the stock units are just pains in the arse as they are so slow to react.The Link drives them fine but they HAVE to be wired to aux 5,6,7,8 for stepper control. Having said that the single and dual PWM units also have to be wiried to Aux 1 and 2 as Master or Slave and Master. The wonky tacho could be anything, not a usual Link trate. The Steering weight is a mutually exclusive system with its own ECU which the engine ecu has no control over. The only thing they share is the speed signal from the Odometer.

I think I've worked out how to do the oil pressure engine Kill on the Link which seems to be the holy grail of ecu feature so it would seem :)

Just showing off now dude LOL

Thanks for the Explanation!

• 7 months later...

Just sharing my experience with Vipec/Link Ecu.

I have been running Vipec v88 on my 98 JDM VVTI supra since 2009 and it has been running great. VVTI, DBW, Knock Control everything work great. Just earlier this year i have upgraded v88 to latest Link Thunder ecu with a lot more features on it. Digital wideband onboard x 2, onboard thermocouple input x 2, and especially the 3-axis accelerometer just fun to have.

Just sharing my experience with Vipec/Link Ecu.

I have been running Vipec v88 on my 98 JDM VVTI supra since 2009 and it has been running great. VVTI, DBW, Knock Control everything work great. Just earlier this year i have upgraded v88 to latest Link Thunder ecu with a lot more features on it. Digital wideband onboard x 2, onboard thermocouple input x 2, and especially the 3-axis accelerometer just fun to have.

Do you mind telling us who installed and mapped it please? I do like the Link software, from the point of view of ease of use and clarity of function.