The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra prices

supra_aero

It is shocking the amount of folks that finance cars out, putting down a small deposit and then paying monthly payments on a car that would drastically lose value.

I guess we need these folks to pick up our bargains :D

Leasing cars is what makes me laugh the most.

Yeah you get a new car every 3-5 years depending on the plan, but they are co Stanton forking out loads of cash for a car they never ever own

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leasing cars is what makes me laugh the most.

Yeah you get a new car every 3-5 years depending on the plan, but they are co Stanton forking out loads of cash for a car they never ever own

To be fair that's better than financing it as they then have a car to sell which have lost tonnes in depreciation.

Some lease deals on smaller cars are pretty good actually, think SaqTRD told me of a brilliant offer he was able to get on the Audi A1 which worked out perfect as a daily. Think it was something like £120 a month on something which returning 80+mpg! Although perhaps not cheaper than buying a cheap run around, the fuel saving and no mechanical bills/servicing etc.

As someone else stated it's not just Supra related you only have to look at the other jap cars they have all firmed up the same. Even the R35gtrs have also gone up looking at the second hand price a year ago you could pick one up for 30k

If and when BMW / Toyota do release the new supra and keep to what they say regarding it being affordable then 450hp in stock form with all the toys and mass produced I reckon will see more big spenders move on although most have gone already. Since I have joined the quality of the cars has gone down hill. I have owned 5 mkiv's and the first 3 came with heaps of main dealer Toyota service history now it's very rare to find one with servicing from any sort of garage just receipts from whifbitz/srd for bolt up bling on parts at home.

I have looked at 3 mkivs for sale recently and if you look past things like body kits/big brakes/stick on parts you soon realise the rest of the car has gone to pot to afford the eye candy parts . Some quotes "don't worry about the valve stem seals just keep topping it up when the light comes on only puffs a bit" / "the knocking on the suspension has been there for years don't worry about it"

Not saying it's everyone on here some still very well looked after cars but as these cars get older and Toyota keep putting the part prices up and up and with discontinued parts becoming more common not sure what the quality of the mkiv's will be in another 15-20years people will probably say your better off getting a MKV by then the prices will have dropped and only well looked after mkiv examples will be worth decent money.

As someone else stated it's not just Supra related you only have to look at the other jap cars they have all firmed up the same. Even the R35gtrs have also gone up looking at the second hand price a year ago you could pick one up for 30k

I've noticed this too, looked last year at gtr's and they were available for 30k+ I've been looking at them as I'm getting the urge and ones I've liked are 40k+! And that's for an 09 car with a stage4.5 tune.

I've noticed this too, looked last year at gtr's and they were available for 30k+ I've been looking at them as I'm getting the urge and ones I've liked are 40k+! And that's for an 09 car with a stage4.5 tune.

I kick myself a bit I should of bought one but I thought wait another year they will be under 30k but it went the other way. It's not even just jap cars though seen the price of Tvr's within the last two years a decent Cerebra/Tuscan will now cost 30k two years ago 15-20k tops. I saw my old mans cerbera sell a few months ago he sold it for 11k 9years ago it went for 23k last year with 30k more miles on it

I don't think mine would sale for much more than 15k on the basses that it hasn't any service history from when I bought it :( but I didn't buy it as an investment nor did I buy it to sale. Bought it because I absolutely love the Supra, even when spending a fortune to get it running, but that is something I already knew that maintaining these beasts are not cheap, which i do think some people don't understand and contributes to some cars not being well looked after. I am glad that the prices are on the rise and I bought mine for a good price.

But it will be interesting to see the prices when the american market opens up.

To be fair that's better than financing it as they then have a car to sell which have lost tonnes in depreciation.

Some lease deals on smaller cars are pretty good actually, think SaqTRD told me of a brilliant offer he was able to get on the Audi A1 which worked out perfect as a daily. Think it was something like £120 a month on something which returning 80+mpg! Although perhaps not cheaper than buying a cheap run around, the fuel saving and no mechanical bills/servicing etc.

We are enthusiasts, but not all people are,so either leasing or car loan they don't worry about what they are losing cash wise.I have one friend who isn,t interested how much his trade in is worth, just they payment amount on his new car!

I kick myself a bit I should of bought one but I thought wait another year they will be under 30k but it went the other way. It's not even just jap cars though seen the price of Tvr's within the last two years a decent Cerebra/Tuscan will now cost 30k two years ago 15-20k tops. I saw my old mans cerbera sell a few months ago he sold it for 11k 9years ago it went for 23k last year with 30k more miles on it

I've noticed this too, I was looking at Chimaeras before my Supra cuz I've always wanted one.... Cheapest were about £4k, decent looked after ones starting at about 6-7k. Now it's tricky to find any under about £8k and that's the Chimaera 4l alone.

I hope GT3/S4 Esprits don't go up in value, I fancy one of those - especially for £12-15k!

Part if the reason there are so few for sale now is that do many have been exported to France, Germany, Sweden etc. There are generally more UK specs for sale in France and Germany than in the UK now.

A few years ago, the German equivalent of autotrader would maybe have 5-10 Supras for sale at any one time. Now there are many times that amount, and the majority are rhd.

Little bit of incorrect information. When i was young lad (10 years ago) there was plenty (like 200 or so) of MKIV Supra's on sale in Mobile.de and now there is only about 30. Cars which are on sale in Mobile.de are across the continental Europe, so Supra is quite rare car nowdays...

Complete false economy to think that a lease deal is good. You're effectively paying interest on paying the depreciation of the car that you need to hand back. Basically the dealership that you hire the car from gets the car back worth market value with you having already paid the difference... plus interest & fees/expenses etc.

Here's a for instance....

Person 1 - Buys a car using a small personal loan.

Person 2 - Buys a lease car. Deposit paid & monthly instalments in place.

Both people lose their job. Person 1 can sell the car, pay off the loan and depending on the value of the car vs the outstanding balance may actually have some money available to buy a runaround. Person 2 is completely shafted as they will have to pay fees etc to terminate the contract. They will end up MUCH further out of pocket than person 1.

The danger is that due to the recurring nature of the lease game, this can happen at ANY point and you will have absolutely nothing to show for the years of monthly payments that you have put in.

My Dad currently owns a nearly new Focus. He bought it at 4 months old with 2k miles on it. It's mint, has all the toys (parks itself, rear camera, etc) and had a new value of 22k. He paid 16k for it, 11k of which was his tradein from his previous car. If he needed to, he could have taken the finance or a small loan to pay the 5k difference. At ANY point he was in any trouble he could EASILY sell the car for 15k, pay off the 5k loan and still have 10k to show for it. If he took out a lease deal he would have nothing to show for it at all other than extremely low monthly payments.

Complete false economy to think that a lease deal is good. You're effectively paying interest on paying the depreciation of the car that you need to hand back. Basically the dealership that you hire the car from gets the car back worth market value with you having already paid the difference... plus interest & fees/expenses etc.

Both people lose their job. Person 1 can sell the car, pay off the loan and depending on the value of the car vs the outstanding balance may actually have some money available to buy a runaround. Person 2 is completely shafted as they will have to pay fees etc to terminate the contract. They will end up MUCH further out of pocket than person 1.

The danger is that due to the recurring nature of the lease game, this can happen at ANY point and you will have absolutely nothing to show for the years of monthly payments that you have put in.

My Dad currently owns a nearly new Focus. He bought it at 4 months old with 2k miles on it. It's mint, has all the toys (parks itself, rear camera, etc) and had a new value of 22k. He paid 16k for it, 11k of which was his tradein from his previous car. If he needed to, he could have taken the finance or a small loan to pay the 5k difference. At ANY point he was in any trouble he could EASILY sell the car for 15k, pay off the 5k loan and still have 10k to show for it. If he took out a lease deal he would have nothing to show for it at all other than extremely low monthly payments.

That's a pretty out-dated view on it TBH.

Over 80% of new cars are leased. The majority on PCP deals, where you can hand the keys back at any time, usually with no fee at all. But more lease for three years and then get into another brand new car with little or no extra deposit to pay. A new car every few years, manufacturer warranty and dealer facilities mean a lot more to most motorists than worrying the old banger they've just bought is going to last the winter.

Cars are built to cater for these lease periods (same thing happens in the fleet market) so the wise money is often on chopping in and replacing rather than running the gauntlet of driving around in a car that's likely to fail.

The saying goes "they don't make 'em like they used to", but there's a reason for that: they don't buy or sell 'em like they used to either. :)

That's a pretty out-dated view on it TBH.

Over 80% of new cars are leased. The majority on PCP deals, where you can hand the keys back at any time, usually with no fee at all. But more lease for three years and then get into another brand new car with little or no extra deposit to pay. A new car every few years, manufacturer warranty and dealer facilities mean a lot more to most motorists than worrying the old banger they've just bought is going to last the winter.

Cars are built to cater for these lease periods (same thing happens in the fleet market) so the wise money is often on chopping in and replacing rather than running the gauntlet of driving around in a car that's likely to fail.

The saying goes "they don't make 'em like they used to", but there's a reason for that: they don't buy or sell 'em like they used to either. :)

Yeah and you're clearly not being bias are you ;)

I reckon my Dad's car will get him through the winter just fine, as will ours.

Over 80% are leased because people can't afford them. The way of the world nowadays is to get ticked up to the eyeballs buying things that we can't afford. Throwing caution to the wind and absolutely rooking ourselves should anything happen.

I'll stick to the old fashioned way of buying.

Little bit of incorrect information. When i was young lad (10 years ago) there was plenty (like 200 or so) of MKIV Supra's on sale in Mobile.de and now there is only about 30. Cars which are on sale in Mobile.de are across the continental Europe, so Supra is quite rare car nowdays...

I'm going off what I saw 3-5 years ago, when I was checking mobile.de on an almost daily basis to see if my old single turbo Supra would come up for sale. I don't know.what ot was like 10 years ago in Germany. Although I would say there were maybe 3 UK specs for sale in the UK at any one time, and there would generally be at least a couple of j spec tt6's. How times change :)

No bias here mate. I just call it as I see it. That's my job.

You effectively pigeon-holed people into 2 categories. One where they hire a new car for a few years and the other where they simply buy a banger to get them around. If you can't see that as a bias then you can't be very good at your job. You show a VERY clear bias towards your own opinion.

I got to agree with Gaz in the past it might have been like that but now the lease deals are so good, they are doing turn key monthly fees so you literally only pay fuel and tyres.

I have a personal friend of mine who was person 1, that took out a loan to buy a car... after 4 years he had to sell the car. It had lost so much value after selling the car he would still be £5k out of pocket, a combination of a long loan term, higher interest rates and a car that depreciated like a stone he had a £5k hole to still fill. In the end he PX'd as he could not pay off the loan prior to selling the car and lost out even more.

Totally agree with you re people buying cars they can not afford. What can you do, some folks just like being in debt :D

No bias here mate. I just call it as I see it. That's my job.

Do you really think that they don't make them like they used to? Was a Peugeot 205 a better built/longer lasting car than the current 207 (is it? I'm out of touch with what's the most recent number). Is a hardy late 90's Corolla similarly better than a Auris?

I'm not so sure but I do think the engines are more highly strung and complicated which can make things harder for owners as they get older. Massive coup by the manufacturers over the last decade or so getting more and more people into the new car cycle, be it leasing, hp, pcp etc. It works nicely for them and to be fair also a lot of happy customers willing to pay to be in a new car and have a hassle free ownership experience. I don't necessary buy into that value but then I'm happy to 'gamble' on older cars and can deal with some downtime, you pays your money (monthly or a lump!) and take your choice.

I got to agree with Gaz in the past it might have been like that but now the lease deals are so good, they are doing turn key monthly fees so you literally only pay fuel and tyres.

I have a personal friend of mine who was person 1, that took out a loan to buy a car... after 4 years he had to sell the car. It had lost so much value after selling the car he would still be £5k out of pocket, a combination of a long loan term, higher interest rates and a car that depreciated like a stone he had a £5k hole to still fill. In the end he PX'd as he could not pay off the loan prior to selling the car and lost out even more.

Totally agree with you re people buying cars they can not afford. What can you do, some folks just like being in debt :D

That's a pretty stupid way to buy a car though and clearly an example of buying something outwith his reach. Noone in their right mind should buy a second hand car with such a high value that it takes more than 4 years to pay off. Especially where a high interest rate is involved.

My general rule of thumb is 3 years to pay it off. Previously my car purchases have been less than a year old (the 20% VAT hit has already been taken). I moved away from that recently in order to buy the Supra though. We need 2 daily drivers so having 3 cars was going to be expensive regardless of the original outlay. To that end we bought a 3 year old Mondeo (at the time of purchase) and a 4 year old BMW (at the time of purchase). Both fairly high mileage to keep the costs down and other than tyres we've had no real issues.

Bloody tyre god hates me though :(

That's a pretty stupid way to buy a car though and clearly an example of buying something outwith his reach. Noone in their right mind should buy a second hand car with such a high value that it takes more than 4 years to pay off. Especially where a high interest rate is involved.

My general rule of thumb is 3 years to pay it off. Previously my car purchases have been less than a year old (the 20% VAT hit has already been taken). I moved away from that recently in order to buy the Supra though. We need 2 daily drivers so having 3 cars was going to be expensive regardless of the original outlay. To that end we bought a 3 year old Mondeo (at the time of purchase) and a 4 year old BMW (at the time of purchase). Both fairly high mileage to keep the costs down and other than tyres we've had no real issues.

Bloody tyre god hates me though :(

Oh I totally agree, even more so when I warned him that it will depreciate badly but according to him BMW's hold value well. :D

The monthly repayments were low and that sold it to him, he did plan to pay it off sooner but I told him that isn't going to happen, his learned his lesson now, well sort of.

Mega :D

Yes, my examples were at the extreme ends, but there are plenty of reasons why leasing makes sense for folk. It's not always the false economy you seem to think.

I can understand how it makes sense to them, I genuinely do. You get a new car and there are a lot of "just add fuel" options. To non petrol heads it's the ideal option to take. It can't be seen as good value though surely?

My work brought in a scheme last year. How it got through is beyond me. A just add fuel decent Mondeo was going to cost £400 per month. At the end of the 3 year lease I would have paid 14.5k and had absolutely NOTHING to show for it.

The deals down at the £200 mark don't seem to exist for me. Not in a just add fuel capacity anyway, otherwise I would consider such an option for at least one of our cars. We generally pay around £200-£250 per month for our third car which generally cycles every 3 years with a newer model replacing the old one.

The only difference is that I wouldn't have £6k of car available to pull me out of a hole should something happen.

Oh I totally agree, even more so when I warned him that it will depreciate badly but according to him BMW's hold value well. :D

The monthly repayments were low and that sold it to him, he did plan to pay it off sooner but I told him that isn't going to happen, his learned his lesson now, well sort of.

Fortunately BMWs do hold their value, after the 4-5 year falling like a stone stint :D

I've never taken the finance option from a car sales person, I always get a personal loan as I feel it gives more options.