The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra prices

supra_aero

Fortunately BMWs do hold their value, after the 4-5 year falling like a stone stint :D

I've never taken the finance option from a car sales person, I always get a personal loan as I feel it gives more options.

Try telling that to someone buying a 6 month old BMW :D

I am hoping my 645 holds it value!

It certainly does, some folks fall for the sales pitch though!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive had my current Supra the same length as Jake has had his NA. I traded that car in for 3.5K towards my tip tt(dont know what Jake paid for it after my trade in) and paid around 10K for mine. It had jap service history (although you cant read it) and in my ownership I have gone BPU, rebuilt the suspension, done all the belts and water pump, replaced the oil pump and changed the valve stem seals (along with many other seals and pipes) and she gets a service (either minor or major) every 6 months. Looking at prices of Sups I feel pretty content with that outlay over the last few years.

I am fortunate enough to have 3 x cars on the drive and I own all of them none were bought on tick but the newest is a 2005 year car.

So in a nutshell I would not use the never never but whilst people do I can pick up good cars that have gone through their depreciation which others have paid for and long may Supra prices continue to rise but I wont be selling mine anytime soon (even if I did fall out of love with it over the Autumn)

I hope so too for your sake, but normally big German coupes and saloons are among the worst culprits for depreciation.

It's a 2004 with 50k odd on the clock, so I am hoping it has lost most of it but you never know. Paid just under £9k for it, after seeing some really ropey ones for cheaper.

535D is doing OK. Only dropped £1k per year since I've had it which I'm OK with :)

That's pretty good, the 535D is the perfect family man compromise between practicality and power.

Funny enough I was speaking to a good mate of mine who now lives in the US and he showed some mates my car which they loved and said it would easy go for $70k (how true that is I'm not sure) but he was speaking to a few Supra owners .. He was saying TT6 are mega rare to get over there

Sounds all good though , crazy how cheap Supra's are over here compared to other parts of the world

Interesting to see what prices will be once US can import

Edited by mplavery (see edit history)

Funny enough I was speaking to a good mate of mine who now lives in the US and he showed some mates my car which they loved and said it would easy go for $70k (how true that is I'm not sure) but he was speaking to a few Supra owners .. He was saying TT6 are mega rare to get over there

Sounds all good though , crazy how cheap Supra's are over here compared to other parts of the world

Interesting to see what prices will be once US can import

I would not get hopes up to much stock super clean low mileage mint examples seem to fetch big money but modified ones not so much when you consider the cost to build. Would you also want to drive a left hooker in the uk most would not so same for them who wants to have a rhd

1000hp real street performance built :drool: sold uk money £34k

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-Toyota-Supra-/272042505677?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3f56ff35cd%3Ag%3A9ZkAAOSwhcJWOTqY&item=272042505677&nma=true&si=tNl4U2ftbDGnoyGvkqzqTKvPlEk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

6spd 6266 £20k http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Supra-Twin-Turbo-Hatchback-2-Door-/291643407531?forcerrptr=true&hash=item43e74d3cab:g:T1kAAOSwo0JWOCfP&item=291643407531

Edited by chazuk (see edit history)

Don't know why people are arguing, pretty sure 99% of people would rather be driving a new car everyday than some old banger, if not then they are chatting some serious waffle...

And people saying "don't buy something if you can't afford it" bet your mortgage on your house sais otherwise...boom

But yeah supra prices are going up :D

Don't know why people are arguing, pretty sure 99% of people would rather be driving a new car everyday than some old banger, if not then they are chatting some serious waffle...

And people saying "don't buy something if you can't afford it" bet your mortgage on your house sais otherwise...boom

I would never ever buy a new car again.

Lose too much money, and come time for service or repairs, costs go up dramatically because of computers and technology.

And for the record, my other car is an old mk3 gold cabriolet.

And when I ditch that, I don't plan on spending more than £1k for another used car.

I've had brand new cars, bought out right and on finance.

Never again

The irony is strong with this one.

The reason for the don't buy what you can't afford comments is that you aren't actually buying the car...... because you can't afford it. You are hiring it for a set period..... because you can't afford to buy it.

People who buy new cars CAN afford them for the most part. People who hire them generally can't afford to buy them, but they still want the new car smell.

I could afford to buy a new car but it would never be the sort of car that I would want to buy. I could only dream of being able to afford a new 535D MSport. However, even if I could I would never buy one due to the immediate 20% drop in value just driving it off the forecourt and the ridiculous annual drop in value every 6 months. It doesn't make economic sense to me at all, and I'm decent at maths.

I would MUCH rather pay a comfortable monthly sum to have something that I own rather than having to hand it back after 3 years (or sooner if the worst happens). I would HATE worrying about mileage, I would HATE worrying about dings/dents, how much a crash would cost me, etc. I'm willing to buy a car a year or 2 old if that's what it takes, or in some cases many years old (not a daily though).

Dealerships aren't pushing their PCP/etc deals because they make less money on them than selling 2nd hand..... or are they full of waffle too?

For those that have no idea about cars perhaps, they would see a brand new Fiat Panda as a better car than a 10 year old BMW 535d.

What mortgage [emoji6]

I can understand why people arnt fans of the hire purchase/pcp idea but I have a few friends have either done it or currently still doing it. Yes of course it's better to buy outright or finance but for the vast majority of us younger generation it's a lot easier for themselves to get their hands on a a more upmarket car which isn't a corsa. I've bought new cars outright and on finance in the past also and yes I would rather buy a car that's a year or too old than losing a several thousand ££££, unless I'm chundering £50's of course

Oh and... When I said "waffle" I said about everyone would drive a new car rather than an old one if they had spare money to do so. I would much rather be driving around Ina brand spanking new daily, yes I could afford it but I would rather save the money for something more worthwhile in my eyes. And I'm pretty sure 99% of people would rather so the same. let's face it, not many would rather drive round a crapbox everyday than a fresh new whip

bare waffle

For those that have no idea about cars perhaps, they would see a brand new Fiat Panda as a better car than a 10 year old BMW 535d.

What mortgage [emoji6]

Haha it agree with you there, I meant if I had plenty of spare funds to be able to drive a brand new 5 series I would drive one, not the 10 yr old equivalent. Not a fiat 500 :D

I never keep a car long enough to sign up to a lease hire, get bored too quickly, my missus did get a new c class on a 3 year deal in 2010, was nice while it lasted but when it went back the addition to the bill for tyres, excess mileage etc put her off doing it again

Worth adding I purchased a Frontera diesel from little Num on here a year ago for tuppence, went straight through the mot and never let us down, perfect run about and has no depreciation left to do really

Edited by tooquicktostop (see edit history)

• 9 months later...

Has anyone noticed the sudden influx of $100k Supras in the US over the last couple of weeks?

2 here, and one at $80k. Wonder if any will sell at these prices?

http://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=Supra&isNewKw=1&isRefine=true&mfs=GOCLK&acimp=0&_trksid=p2056088.m2428.l1313.TR0.TRC0.Xsupra&sqp=supra

Edited by j_jza80 (see edit history)