The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Car went on the dyno today

j_jza80

Nothing :) But even in manu mode, the tiptronics can be coaxed out of the set gear via kickdown, vehicle speed vs gear ratio etc. On the plus side, once you get used to the way it works, it is far more effective on the twisties than the regular auto :)

Karl made 430hp. UK spec TT auto with Syvecs running 1.2bar on stock turbos. Jon made 206hp IIRC. Those were flywheel, not sure what the estimated transmission losses used were though.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No worries :)

TBH I have no idea why you haven't applied for/or been granted a trader status, as your work is fairly unique and fits well with the forum. But whatever your/their reasons are, the situation won't be improved by winding up the mods. I'm not having a pop either, just friendly advice :)

He was offered but turned it down.

He does not need it, just like the best restaurants, the "bush telegraph" is much more meaningful, and much more difficult to establish.

The big problem comes where too many get to know and just like the restaurants you can't get a table.

My local garage who services my merc, due to his value for money work, expertise and honesty, now has the problem of expanding his business, as there is now a 2 weeks waiting list, also when a lot of businesses expand you can get a poorer quality of workmanship and know how.

Not a pop at your thread dude. Just seems like persecution for being a long time member that's contributed to the club for years.

Everybody knows we run this place as a community, everybody chips in where they can, events people put time in unpaid to run events you attend, moderators put time in unpaid to keep this forum alive and I've put a massive part of my life in unpaid to make sure this is a great club for everybody.

I therefore expect a long standing member who is making money from forum members to chip in. You know you are getting business from the forum and you know you are asking your customers to post up on here.

If you feel you are part of this community then the least you can do it pay to be a trader on here. If you choose not to be a trader then thats your choice and I will deal with it accordingly but you are basically kicking me and all the forum members in the teeth by trying to get round the rules.

I have let is slide for many years, but when you start to post in public that a moderator (who helps out on the forum for fun) is being persecuted then I feel its time you actually put back in to the forum rather than just taking from it.

You know the rules full well, and you have always known you operate right on the edge.

Everybody knows we run this place as a community, everybody chips in where they can, events people put time in unpaid to run events you attend, moderators put time in unpaid to keep this forum alive and I've put a massive part of my life in unpaid to make sure this is a great club for everybody.

I therefore expect a long standing member who is making money from forum members to chip in. You know you are getting business from the forum and you know you are asking your customers to post up on here.

If you feel you are part of this community then the least you can do it pay to be a trader on here. If you choose not to be a trader then thats your choice and I will deal with it accordingly but you are basically kicking me and all the forum members in the teeth by trying to get round the rules.

I have let is slide for many years, but when you start to post in public that a moderator (who helps out on the forum for fun) is being persecuted then I feel its time you actually put back in to the forum rather than just taking from it.

You know the rules full well, and you have always known you operate right on the edge.[/Quote]

As a mate of Craigs I fully accept the club rules , as I,m sure he does . And equally I appreciate the time and effort dedicated to this club by the mods . And now comes the "BUT" . I had an issue with josh42 not so long ago about a similar thing . He tried to say it was against club rules to promote a member who, was in business repairing Supras on this forum if the said member was not paying his dues . Now at this point I fully agree with what is being pointed out .

My issue with him was, and still is this ... as a club and forum we as members require information from time to time regarding a problem we might have stumbled across during a repair or service to our cars, and thus put a thread up asking for help to their technical problem . If I came across such a thread more often than not if I could not help I would tell them to speak to Dr Jekyll ( Craig ) as he has a decent knowledge of our cars . At this point I,m only trying to help out another member . Where I found this whole subject to be cloudy is here , " at what point of help , is it considered that I am advertising a business that is not a trader , and not giving another member a pointer in the right direction to someone on here that could help, where I failed . I made this reply only to point out my issue with josh42 , not to question the rules of the club ,or to annoy any of the traders on here ( that we as a club are very thankful to ) .

Craig knows we have turned a blind eye for many years, it started with selling part worn and cheap tyres. It was so long ago most of you wont even remember that.

We have a rule that non official traders can be talked about and recommended, but at some point that stops being a discussion and becomes advertising.

Ok Branners , I accept what you say as a point to where it can be conscrewed as advertising, if a member is constantly being flagged up as a " go to guy " . But do you agree that the waters get a little cloudy when , and at which point we arrive at that place ?

As I say, its been blind eye for a LONG time, but when the trader is sat on the forum and getting business from the forum and more and more threads are posted about his service then it is time for them to help give the forum a hand and sign up as a trader.

Being smart and getting round the trader rules is not really fair on the club. We need the revenue to run things like Dragonball, JAE, Wroxhall, Suprapod and so on. It's the members that will lose out when we cant afford to write off £1000 on JAE or £1000 on Wroxhall or pay upfront for things like Suprapod and Dragonball.

As a mate of Craigs I fully accept the club rules , as I,m sure he does . And equally I appreciate the time and effort dedicated to this club by the mods . And now comes the "BUT" . I had an issue with josh42 not so long ago about a similar thing . He tried to say it was against club rules to promote a member who, was in business repairing Supras on this forum if the said member was not paying his dues . Now at this point I fully agree with what is being pointed out .

My issue with him was, and still is this ... as a club and forum we as members require information from time to time regarding a problem we might have stumbled across during a repair or service to our cars, and thus put a thread up asking for help to their technical problem . If I came across such a thread more often than not if I could not help I would tell them to speak to Dr Jekyll ( Craig ) as he has a decent knowledge of our cars . At this point I,m only trying to help out another member . Where I found this whole subject to be cloudy is here , " at what point of help , is it considered that I am advertising a business that is not a trader , and not giving another member a pointer in the right direction to someone on here that could help, where I failed . I made this reply only to point out my issue with josh42 , not to question the rules of the club ,or to annoy any of the traders on here ( that we as a club are very thankful to ) .

In response to this, apologies if you feel I have been a little unfair, however, for me, rules are rules and Craig is not an authorised trader. Forgive me, however by your admission, you are a friend of Craig's and therefore are unlikely to see this from an impartial point of view.

As Branners pointed out, Craig has been treading the line for a long time now and if it was just the odd reference, I'm sure it wouldn't be an issue. However, there seems to be a number of references to Craig's services and the business appearing on regular basis now and this isn't fair on the traders who have paid the fees to support this club.

May I please remind you all that this is a club. We donate our spare time to supporting the continued smooth running of this forum, we do not gain any financial or material benefit from our efforts, it is done purely for our admiration of the club.

We therefore do not appreciate anyone, regardless of length of membership deliberately negating rules to avoid supporting the club financially, whilst benefitting from additional trade gained via the club.

This is all I have to say on the matter and will leave this in Branners hands to sort.

One does have to question however the stance that is being taken on this. If someone has been a member for years and has made significant contributions to the forum, one would assume that would be enough to be granted permission to promote their business should they want to. Not the case apparently, so it appears said members years of unpaid contributions are worth nothing.

Why should someone who signs up tomorrow and pays to become an authorised trader be allowed to do that without contributing anything beforehand? It doesn't make sense.

The only way this could truly be fair, is if any and all forms of advertisement were allowed, or none at all.

One does have to question however the stance that is being taken on this. If someone has been a member for years and has made significant contributions to the forum, one would assume that would be enough to be granted permission to promote their business should they want to. Not the case apparently, so it appears said members years of unpaid contributions are worth nothing.

Why should someone who signs up tomorrow and pays to become an authorised trader be allowed to do that without contributing anything beforehand? It doesn't make sense.

The only way this could truly be fair, is if any and all forms of advertisement were allowed, or none at all.

All this insightful information from someone who hasn't even payed their membership since joining 2 years ago :rolleyes:

You make those free posts count now.

They can't just join up and pay. The fairness onus lies with the traders that already pay, as there is nothing worse than paying and doing the right thing only to see others avoiding it. the difficulty comes when a member can't get trader membership, they then have to contribute to earn the right to be a trader whilst not self advertising which can be problematic....

Trader and hobbyist status is voted in by us, the members.

You can't just come onto the forum, throw some money and start trading.

Plus there are rules and hurdles before it even goes to the vote.

What happens if we all have a club meeting at a given restaurant and we all think it is very good, the owner of the establishment also has a supra, and is a club member, non of us were aware of this fact, but several members posted where the restaurant was, eg: in park road Glasgow, and recommended the place?

I have been a member of a mercedes club for many years and there has always been a mixture of "Indes" (independant merc experts) who do not advertise, just relying on their reputation, and also "Indes" who are official forum advertisers. Members are allowed to choose and it balances out. So is a rule to protect the members of a club, or to limit competition to official forum advertisers?

This IMHO is a good club for information and banter, and some times a bit of agro or differences of opinion, like other posters have said this issue is a "grey area", but at the end of the day the club is run and controlled by the mods, who are presumably voted in by the club members, so like one of the moderators said, we all agreed to the rules, we just need some discretion at times, and maybe that is now what is happening.

Edited by herbiemercman (see edit history)

It had the dyno operator baffled :D But he said that quite a few Japanese auto/tiptronic gearboxes cause similar issues. I'm hoping that when I go single Ryan can ensure the car holds its gears in manu mode 100%, which should eliminate this issue. TBH I'm not really bothered though, it drives perfectly and that is all that's important. :)

It had the dyno operator baffled :D But he said that quite a few Japanese auto/tiptronic gearboxes cause similar issues. I'm hoping that when I go single Ryan can ensure the car holds its gears in manu mode 100%, which should eliminate this issue. TBH I'm not really bothered though, it drives perfectly and that is all that's important. :)

Definitely - enjoy it for what it is. It's nice to know the exact figure but in no means affects an opinion of the car... E.g. all I know is mine is bloody quick

Why not just follow the rules and keep applying for an official trader position? I was in this situation and it took many years and getting to prove myself but it payed off in the end and finally part of the club.

Tim

TBDevelopments

There seems to be a very obvious answer. Craig applies to be a Trader. The business and further promotion of his business by forum members will far outweigh any costs.

He already started mixing business with his Supra passion when he started fitting turbos to them.

As I said earlier Craig was offered the chance to become a trader but turned it down

If hes been offered a position but has turned it down, then i think the matters closed really. When i was fighting for a spot i went through alot of similar things but all the while i said, give me a slot, i'll pay what ever just want to prove myself.

I would have loved to be instantly offered a place, if its thrown back then not much more the admin can do. After nearly 2 years of fighting for the position i have you realise its more of a privilege than a right, so even being offered one is generous.

Just my opinion

Tim

TB Developments