The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra crash at Vmax?

gordy.r

O might be worth thinking about changing if you do alot of high speed stuff mate that or run a a tyer pressure meter to keep an eye on pressures when doing long high speed runs

You are right Matt. I haven't been thinking about that so far tbh. Seeing those guys in Russia in their GTR's doing 240 mph on 888's without even a helmet made me think 888's are fine for high speeds.

I know that slightly lower tire pressure is for track and traction ; but what shall be considered for high speed runs?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just shows that tyres are the single most important thing you buy for a car. Why you'd scrimp and fit cheap ones is completely beyond me.

:yeahthat: although R888 are not exactly a cheap option :D

My cousin good few years back bought a supra after seeing mine, it was a nice supra imported by jurgen and ex members car. I never really posted details as he did not want me to etc. The full sorry was he was winning a street race against some skylines and some how the cars rolling 4 times when he switched lanes, he survived with some serious facial cuts.

The Moral of the story it never stopped him wanting another one, but Unfortunatly his parents did not allow him to purchase any other supra ever again!

So what tire options are there for runs like this?

Same as what other cars are using for such runs I'd imagine. Again, did the tyre pop, or come off the rim.. was the surface suitable for track day tyres or not.. did it lead to loads of heat generation - did that make the type unstable, could have just been a weakness. Lots of questions... :|

Same as what other cars are using for such runs I'd imagine. Again, did the tyre pop, or come off the rim.. was the surface suitable for track day tyres or not.. did it lead to loads of heat generation - did that make the type unstable, could have just been a weakness. Lots of questions... :|

Just looking at tire speed ratings, they actually use Y to indicate up to 186mph and (Y) for over 186mph, but cannot see any indication of how much over 186mph they are rated for.

225/50ZR16 in excess of 149 mph, 240 km/h

205/45ZR17 88W 168 mph, 270 km/h

285/35ZR19 99Y 186 mph, 300 km/h

285/35ZR19 (99Y) in excess of 186 mph, 300 km/h

There's a lot of discussion going in to the tyres, could it have been a defective alloy or unknown damage to the alloy that's caused the tyre to let go?

So many questions to this, I'm sure it will all come out in time.

Glad the guys are ok, seriously can`t believe helmets aren`t compulsory at these events though, were they wearing them?

Yes I was thinking the same I was watching you tube vids of the event earlier and two guys in an r8 had helmets on the back seats but never put them on,

And from hearing about there injurys I would say they weren't, :(

It's all speculation what happened until Jay posts up his thoughts. Both were very lucky rolling in the car at the speed with a cage and no helmets. Head injuries alone would have been catastrophic. Someone was definitely watching over them.