The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Germanwings plane crashed on purpose?

Gaz6002

Apparently German Police have made a significant discovery at the Co-pilot's second home but haven't let us know what it is yet.

There's also been news going around that he suffered from depression. Such a shame he decided to take so many innocent lives with him

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently German Police have made a significant discovery at the Co-pilot's second home but haven't let us know what it is yet.

There's also been news going around that he suffered from depression. Such a shame he decided to take so many innocent lives with him

A letter according to reports.

Suicide note?

Would an airline pilot if known to suffer from depression be allowed to have control of an aircraft ?

If he was off sick with depression his employers wouldn't necessarily have known, doctor patient confidentiality.

If he passed his employers psychological tests etc then they would have no reason to suspect he was unfit to fly.

Would an airline pilot if known to suffer from depression be allowed to have control of an aircraft ?

Half the population seems to claim to be depressed from time to time, I guess it's impractical to determine if he's just a bit down, or an imminent cliff jumper. Anti depressents are handed out like Smarties these days, so there must be thousands admitting depression to their doctors. Maybe his depression was discussed inter friends on a casual basis and not with his doctors during a aviation medical? A few years ago the press had a hoo ha over boozing pilots, now it'll be unhappy ones. There's a big element of trust when you agree for a stranger to drive fly / operate on you, even marry you. Sometimes it's misplaced and bad things occur. One of life's risks, one can only hope those in charge do their best to mitigate those risks.

Half the population seems to claim to be depressed from time to time, I guess it's impractical to determine if he's just a bit down, or an imminent cliff jumper. Anti depressents are handed out like Smarties these days, so there must be thousands admitting depression to their doctors. Maybe his depression was discussed inter friends on a casual basis and not with his doctors during a aviation medical? A few years ago the press had a hoo ha over boozing pilots, now it'll be unhappy ones. There's a big element of trust when you agree for a stranger to drive fly / operate on you, even marry you. Sometimes it's misplaced and bad things occur. One of life's risks, one can only hope those in charge do their best to mitigate those risks.

Agree..

Half of the population could well be depressed, and in need of anti depressants.

It's a very real illness and not something to trivialise, although the media are starting to already.

I can see the headlines already, "Why was a man who suffered from depression allowed to fly?"

Because he's a qualified pilot ffs?

Half of the population could well be depressed, and in need of anti depressants.

Oh come on! No bloody way is it that common.

Depression is a real thing, but it's also a vehicle used to pigeon-hole people GPs don't know what to do with, and as an excuse. Don't fancy work? Get down the doc and tell them you feel sad.

This is a massive problem in the UK, and one I can't see a solution for because there will always be that percentage of society who do have a genuine need for medical treatment.

It's very easily that common, possibly not to the extent of wanting to fly a plane into a mountain but certainly more common and much less trivial than people would like to admit.

Regardless of that debate, if he was depressed, and should not have been at work, obviously the airline medical checks weren't thorough enough.

If I had to join the conspiracy theorists, and reading he was a fitness fanatic, I would conjecture steroids have maybe had some input in his actions.... But that's a wild guess.

So many young people seem to be popping pills with a totally Cavalier attitude to there long term physical and mental effects.

You're telling me you think that half of the people in the UK are clinically depressed? Like, one in every two people?

Clinically depressed doesn't actually exist.

Depression covers a wide variety of illnesses.

Granted many people play the depression card and gets easy pills etc.

Everyone suffers depression multiple times during the day, but many are able to cope or switch it back.

The brain naturally goes through various stages.

The main problem is no one really knows how to deal with the various types of depression, where pulls work to a degree, it really only changes the brain chemicals.

I've had PTSD, quite bad but also quite mellow, and I was never suicidal, really but there were times I could of snapped.

And depression is hard to judge and spot these days.

Probably because the way our culture has become now

This has been a very disturbing incident, I call it an incident and not an accident or mass murder as all of the facts are not known yet by the investigators.

Firstly I would like to convey deepest sympathies to all who have been affected by this tragedy and our thoughts and prayers are with you.

The internet/news channels are awash with speculation as to what happened to the germanwings flight but with only an unprofessional leak from a "senior investigator" as to the contents of the CVR(Cockpit Voice Recorder) any assumption as to the mental state of the FO and subsequent pointing of fingers needs to be refrained from until all of the FACTS are established.

Some excellent "light reading" can be found here: http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/558654-airbus-a320-crashed-southern-france.html

These are posts on the Professional Pilots Rumour Network, but don't be fooled by the name real A320 pilots and engineers are posting their thoughts on the incident (admittedly interspersed with a few hacks and people who have no idea) the general concensus seems to be revisions to the door locking procedure needs to be carefully revised for all flights.

Edit: you may want to skip the first 50 or so pages of that thread to get to the most recent info regarding the thoughts derived after the leak of the CVR data

One thing bothering me right now...

What's the name of the pilot who tried to get back into the cockpit to stop his co-pilot? I feel that he needs some recognition for attempting to stop the incident

A few details have emerged about the pilot who flew the plane for the first 20 minutes, until he was locked out by Mr Lubitz. He has been named in the German media as Patrick Sonderheimer. French radio station Europe1 interviewed a former colleague of his who said Mr Sonderheimer was married with two small children and was "one of our best pilots".

Recordings show Mr Sonderheimer banged repeatedly on the cockpit door, in a vain attempt to regain access. German tabloid Bild quoted security sources as saying that he then used an axe to try to break it down.

....the part where it says the screams can be heard just in the final few seconds sends shivers down me....

and the poor pilot who was probably trying to very calmly tap on the door to his co-pilot, and gradually tapping/knocking a bit louder still trying not to alert or alarm the passengers, knowing full well something bad was about to happen is terrifying.

Some of the grammar used in this thread has almost caused me to snap several times. Thankfully I am able to control that rage without subscription medication though.

My mind works in strange ways at times, but I would never deliberately cause the death of hundreds of passengers. I have a hard enough time accepting with my own inevitable expiration. The human brain is an odd thing though.

If it was not for the terrorists the door into the cockpit could of been kicked down quite easy before 9/11 didn't they just have the same lock at the plastic toilet doors , heard on the radio today some airlines are now not allowing 1person to be left in the cockpit