The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Germanwings plane crashed on purpose?

Gaz6002

Some of the grammar used in this thread has almost caused me to snap several times. Thankfully I am able to control that rage without subscription medication though.

My mind works in strange ways at times, but I would never deliberately cause the death of hundreds of passengers. I have a hard enough time accepting with my own inevitable expiration. The human brain is an odd thing though.

PREscription, not SUBscription..... tut tut! ;)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the grammar used in this thread has almost caused me to snap several times. Thankfully I am able to control that rage without subscription medication though.

My mind works in strange ways at times, but I would never deliberately cause the death of hundreds of passengers. I have a hard enough time accepting with my own inevitable expiration. The human brain is an odd thing though.

PREscription, not SUBscription..... tut tut! ;)

Grammatically speaking it should actually be either prescription medicine or prescribed medication, and not prescription medication :D

This is where the media actually have it wrong.

It's been policy for quite some time for 2 people to be in the cockpit at all times on the majority of airlines.

I didn't think that was mandatory on all yet though? Just US airlines and some major European ones?

As for the comments about depression, I'll leave it for the media to spin that how they want it without commenting any more on here.

I'll simply say society obviously still has a lot to be educated about.

I am not quite sure what the "other person" is supposed to do faced with a suicidal psychopath in charge of an airliner. Arm them? Then there's a shoot out on the flight deck... Let `em slug it out? There's just no practical way to deal with some of the bizarre scenarios airlines face nowadays. As I tend to keep my feet firmly on terra firma I am unlikely to have to concern myself with such a situation, for the global traveller I guess they have the prospect of the captain wielding an axe at a Kevlar reinforced door. I suspect if such future scenes were put to my grandparents they'd have been be disbelieving.

The papers were discussing a means of taking control of an airliner from the ground in such a situation. God only knows what the cost and technical problems undertaking such an update on all commercial planes might be. If indeed it's even viable in the first place.

Someone just posted on Bookface that they'd read the co-pilot had recently converted to Islam. Whether that's just Islamophobia without any facts or not, I don't know.

I can just see the holiday makers now demanding the flight deck crew burn the Koran in front of them before boarding, whatever next :(

That social media stuff is something I am happy to be ignorant of and avoid. So much random speculation (says he who suggested the pilot was perhaps on steroids.... ;))

It was bound to get brought into it at some point.

I've never heard of this news source so wouldn't put much faith into it. http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2015/03/breaking-german-news-germanwings-airbus-co-pilot-was-muslim-convert/

I can just see the holiday makers now demanding the flight deck crew burn the Koran in front of them before boarding, whatever next :(

That social media stuff is something I am happy to be ignorant of and avoid. So much random speculation (says he who suggested the pilot was perhaps on steroids.... ;))

That article was shared 171,000 times on Facebook alone... That is 171,000 people without a brain living on this planet.

Wait till Fox News get whift of it and report that Ireland is now a Muslim country from the terrorist expert.

Oh come on! No bloody way is it that common.

but it's also a vehicle used to pigeon-hole people GPs don't know what to do with, and as an excuse. Don't fancy work? Get down the doc and tell them you feel sad.

predominantly labour voters......:)

A few details have emerged about the pilot who flew the plane for the first 20 minutes, until he was locked out by Mr Lubitz. He has been named in the German media as Patrick Sonderheimer. French radio station Europe1 interviewed a former colleague of his who said Mr Sonderheimer was married with two small children and was "one of our best pilots".

Recordings show Mr Sonderheimer banged repeatedly on the cockpit door, in a vain attempt to regain access. German tabloid Bild quoted security sources as saying that he then used an axe to try to break it down.

could lubitz have passed out or had a heart attack or somehow was incapacitated?

could lubitz have passed out or had a heart attack or somehow was incapacitated?

Apparently after the pilot tried opening the door normally/knocking, the co-pilot locked it. Bascially there's a keypad on the door that only the flight crew know, however there'sa function that blocks ther keypad from being used just in-case the plane is hijacked. stops them getting into the cockpit, co-pilot used this function to lock the other pilot out before reducing the altitude manually.

The argument for the above is "remote control of planes" but that just opens the door to cyber-terrorism. it's a lose-lose situation that bureaucracy and safety functions can't prevent.

The argument for the above is "remote control of planes" but that just opens the door to cyber-terrorism. it's a lose-lose situation that bureaucracy and safety functions can't prevent.

Don't we already have that we drones & also with Trains - whats the issue?