• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A few pops and bangs just after picking it up :D

https://vimeo.com/121702600

I must say considering what people have said about the lag with 2835's I really don't think it's that bad. On stock boost it reaches full just before 3700rpm and on 1.5 bar it comes on full boost between 4000-5000rpm. And when that boost comes on, and you hear those turbos spooling.......... Absolute bliss!

Plenty more updates/pictures/videos to come very soon, but for now it's off to a car meet :)

I'm sure it's awesome when it comes on full boost :eyebrows:

But peoples comments about spool aren't unfounded, for example a single GTX3576R turbo would be on full boost before 3000rpm and provide the same power.

Anyways, get out there and enjoy your car :D

Sounds nice, I'm glad you're happy with it.

Regarding lag It's slighty better than normal as the VVTI is helping you, but it's still very laggy, at 3500rpm you make 275ftlb, my car makes double that at the same rpm on a little 62mm turbo. When you fit them bigger housings it will be even worse.

I'm sure it's awesome when it comes on full boost :eyebrows:

But peoples comments about spool aren't unfounded, for example a single GTX3576R turbo would be on full boost before 3000rpm and provide the same power.

Anyways, get out there and enjoy your car :D

IMO as I don't race this car I have no problem waiting that couple of extra seconds for it to hit full boost, because when it does it puts the biggest smile on my face. No turbo can beat the sound of a HKS turbo, especially when there's two of them ;)

At the end of the day, its YOUR car. People will have their own opinions on things. But as long as you like the big twins and it makes you happy then that's all that matters.

You should have gone single turbo though :D

For now I am more than happy with twins. I totally understand people's complaints about it being too laggy etc etc but really doesn't bother me tbh :) the missus loves it too so that's a bonus! :thumbs:

Sounds nice, I'm glad you're happy with it.

Regarding lag It's slighty better than normal as the VVTI is helping you, but it's still very laggy, at 3500rpm you make 275ftlb, my car makes double that at the same rpm on a little 62mm turbo. When you fit them bigger housings it will be even worse.

Yes but your car is a beast ;)

I know it will be hella more laggy with the bigger housings but as I've mentioned previously it doesn't really bother me. Obviously if I was chasing numbers (accel not top end) then we would have gone small single in the first place

Alright so the other day my oil light came on thought nothing of it, checked the dipstick and filled up with 10w40 fully synthetic accordingly. Next day oil light is on again, check the dipstick and no oil shows on it... Drain the sump and filled up again 6L of the same oil. Few days later, oil is back down to 0... So checked the front of the engine to see this...

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/16/4a1c661ee585a22d452e9cfb245d6ac0.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/16/cc64f07fd24bc27ba679e2d22c40838e.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/16/870aafe5f9b3686eae72c4da5247b015.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/16/9f05cae27e6a207424e8cd3b5bb9b300.jpg

I imagine the oil must be leaking from the crank seal or maybe the cam cover seal as pressing down on it causes oil to bead around the seal. I was wondering if anyone has had an oil leak similar to this and what their problem was and how it was fixed? I'm hoping it's just a seal but could it be something more serious than this?

Will update as soon as I've towed it to a garage

Could be cam seals, but much more likely to be the oil pump seal. Is this an old engine that's had a steroid injection of boost? They don't like it up `em you know, if the pump is tired or the crank nose warn it may have cried enough. I do a high tension seal that may help if the crank nose has a wear ridge where the seal lip sits. If the pump is worn and leaking past the rotors to an extent the drain hole can longer cope with, then it's really an engine out job and a new pump. You may as well do the bearings and core plugs plus whatever else is potentially tired at the same time. Oil light on is never good news, hope its not done the bearings. I would not run it any more like that.

Could be cam seals, but much more likely to be the oil pump seal. Is this an old engine that's had a steroid injection of boost? They don't like it up `em you know, if the pump is tired or the crank nose warn it may have cried enough. I do a high tension seal that may help if the crank nose has a wear ridge where the seal lip sits. If the pump is worn and leaking past the rotors to an extent the drain hole can longer cope with, then it's really an engine out job and a new pump. You may as well do the bearings and core plugs plus whatever else is potentially tired at the same time. Oil light on is never good news, hope its not done the bearings. I would not run it any more like that.

It's a 2001 car ran on stock boost all the way up to this conversion where I usually drive on 1 bar. I'm hoping it is just a seal but yeah it is a lot of oil to be losing

The front crank seal? Thinking maybe a new oil pump and crank seal is in order as I just read a thread on how crank seals usually fail due to a worn oil pump, just hoping this will fix the leak

Yea good move looks like the front crank seal, new oil pump is fairly cheap :). Good job you caught it on time as that seems a lot of oil!

Yea good move looks like the front crank seal, new oil pump is fairly cheap :). Good job you caught it on time as that seems a lot of oil!

It is a lot of oil a whole 6L of it! Would it be worth while getting an oil pressure gauge so that God forbid this were to happen again I can catch it sooner?

Lucky you didn't knacker the engine.

Exactly what I thought, had to drive a further 8 miles home after the oil light came on :(

8 miles with no oil? Does it still sound ok?

Yes it sounds fine and idles fine, even drove the rest of the way home fine and no smoke or bad ticking sounds. Haven't started it since then though

I was under the impression that they Syvecs should have shut the engine down with such a sudden drop in oil pressure?

I would have thought so too, maybe it hasn't been setup

Id be giving him a phone to see if the syvecs has been calibrated for oil pressure, bit alarming that the car continued to drive for 8 miles

I'm gonna talk to Darren about it as he's the one who took it down for mapping

I would imagine the seal's come out altogether if it's haemorrhaging that much oil.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking too, apparently they're renowned for being blown straight out if they're gonna fail