The mkiv Supra Owners Club

350z 6speed transmission in to Supra?

Branners

They maintain the box will take 1000bhp, but thats american BHP so lets assume a real world 700. They mostly say it is a better option than the w58.

And yes, the later boxes are the ones apparently, just not sure how common the 350z is in the scrap yards of the UK.

When someone quotes a transmission capability of whatever HP you know *IMMEDIATELY* they are talking total bull. They are probably newbies, kids, or salesmen. HP has virtually *NOTHING* to do with how long a gearbox will last. It's TORQUE that loads gearboxes. If you could somehow bolt an F1 transmission to a Supra you'd break it almost instantly. They have huge power, sod all torque. So when someone say this box is good for 600 HP you know to stop listening :) A quick and dirty way to assess torque handling of an unknown gearbox is to look at how big a diameter the gears are (how far apart main and lay shafts are) and how wide the gears are. Shaft spacing and casing length are finite, so "improving" an existing box usually entails deleting the synchro hubs to create a dog box, which allows wider gear width as dogs are a lot more compact than synchro hubs.

I have looked into this before you want the getrag from a e46bmw (£450 second hand) its strong lots of turbo'd /supercharged m3's in the states 600hp+ on the stock box

Ratios

1st = 4.32:1

2nd = 2.54:1

3rd = 1.62:1

4th = 1.23:1

5th = 1.00:1

6th = 0.83:1 (overdrive)

Reverse = 3.75:1

Single turbo'd 6speed e46m3 646whp and 549tq think in a previous video it was a 71mm turbo stock engine not bad

[video=youtube;hr-kdrfcO8Q]

Does he miss 5th gear `cos the teeth are in the bottom of the gearbox? ;) All these weird and wonderful hybrids are fine, but given the labour and parts you want something in there that's 100% bullet proof. The Tremec should work, albeit the change is a bit truck like. Most turbo engines do not need 6 ratios behind them, 6th is usually very much an over drive ratio anyway. A 5 speed (or even 4 speed...) box is often stronger as they have a lot more space for 4 or 5 gears than 6. At the end of the day just buying a six speed TT in the first place saves a lot of grief.

Beware gear ratios in diesel sourced boxes. Diesels tend not to rev, so often have a very over driven top gear.

Other things you need consider are how to mate it to the engine (!!), input shaft length, spline position and pilot bearing ID, out V input shaft heights, gear lever position. Means of feeding input and output shaft speeds to an ecu if required. Position of rear mount pickup point.

Hi I was thinking that but

for a z33 box conversion you will need to consider.

transmission plate.

bellhousing maching to achieve spigot depth

mainshaft machining or custom spigot bearing.

prop

custom shifter

speedo sensor signal correction.

diff ratio

clutch centre.

it is not a 5minute job. And certainly shouldn't be undertaken by the inexperienced.

I read on Facebook the other day that with an adaptor plate you can fit the 350z 6speed getrag.

Not heard that mentioned before, anybody else hear of it?

The box is about £1000 or something, vs £loadsandloads for an original 2jz 6 speed.

Yeah I saw this too, obviously spiked my interest, as it is something I really need to change in mine

Yeah can be done and its a strong box as well

If one of the notorious Supra tuners/garages decided to support this conversion, and offered off the shelf parts and support, I could see it working though.

We are waiting Lee ;)

I was looking at this myself but I don't think it's that's viable price wise. When you factor in all of the conversion parts needed it soon starts adding up and before you know it you are over 2k just for the gearbox, conversion parts, flywheel/clutch and that's not including custom made rear gearbox mount, modified Propshaft, doing whatever needs doing for the gearlever. And then if you want to convert from auto to manual you still need to find the pedal box and master cylinder.

http://www.nod-land.co.uk/ForumStuff/LS2inSupra.jpg

Here is a LS2 into a MK4 on a Tremec T56 6 speed that Craig at Dyno Torque did quite a while ago. He doesn't remember having to do any beating of the trans tunnel to get it to fit. TR6060 is not much bigger if at all. He did say if a fitting issue did occurr it would be the bell housing as these are bigger on the Chevy. However, if using a 2JZ Auto Bell housing with an adaptor plate this shouldn't be an issue.

Edited by Nodalmighty (see edit history)