The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Slightly disappointed

Guest Dayl26

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A full decat on an NA will make it less pokey in the lower rev range, on NA engine bigger is not better when it comes to exhausts ;)

I had a Blitz Nur Spec on my NA, with cats still in place, went back to a stock NA exhaust and it was much nicer to drive, mine was also an auto :D

Its been a while since I owned one but might also be worth checking if the variable inlet gubbings are working, this is also designed to give better torque lower down and open up around mid range.

As for the induction kit, bin it and go stock.

Bottom end just seems slow.. about 60 70 seems to pick up abit can't get over how loud it is tho even louder than my old wrx which was de cat lol speed bumps are a pain in the ass supras sure do turn heads just wish I had the power to back it up.. looks like am not off thailand now :( gonna save up for a tt or maybe go na/t conversion decisions decisions :/

It is not a performance monster, but it sound like that there is something wrong in your car. 2jz-ge will give it best performance in high rpms, like above 4500 rpm or so. It has quite ok p/w ratio too so when it is on the move it should be quite fast even modern standards. Of course, we are talking about car which handles speed very well. It does feel totally different than your mondeo when you are driving 80mph+...

And i think you have a too firm after market suspension set for road use.

Manual. Auto will probably be a little quicker.

I think stock manual is faster than auto. My time figures were quoted from old U.S car magazine articles. Those are tested times for manual so it has same performance than porker 968.

Edited by LasseV (see edit history)

Erm is that an aero? If it is then i demand you stop hating on it and wait till the roof is off on a nice hot day and go for a cruise.

This. Cruising around in a Supra with the roof off is awesome! Don't get me wrong though, it is pretty slow. I came from a Celica GT4, which felt rapid compared to this. They aren't exactly blisteringly fast either, great fun in the twisties though.

Depends if you want the aerotop or not. If you don't then like others have suggested, sell up and get a TT. If you do then go for the engine swap. That's what I plan on doing next year :thumbs:

They are not quick compared to modern cars, but although your car looks lovely, that engine shot looks very tired.

Check her over, service it fully , stick a oem air box back on with a fresh filter, and pop a cat back in, and go from there.

Also just noticed you don't have a heatsheild either, that pod filter is going to be sucking in some serious heat.

Edited by ripped_fear (see edit history)

They are not quick compared to modern cars, but although your car looks lovely, that engine shot looks very tired.

Check her over, service it fully , stick a oem air box back on with a fresh filter, and pop a cat back in, and go from there.

Also just noticed you don't have a heatsheild either, that pod filter is going to be sucking in some serious heat.

No it's not a fast car if you compared it against modern high performance cars. They are now insanely fast cars. But if you compare it against diesel mondeo, it is fast car :D

And tbh, i was surprised when i noticed that manual n/a is as fast as new golf gti or new audi tt. So i think they offer quite good bang for buck in many ways.

Yeah it's aerotop jap import don't get me wrong I do love it just slower than I expected.. Faster than an audi tt lmao funniest thing have heard all day I had an audi tt 225 as it goes n no way is this na faster that's for sure. Thanks for the advice I'll get it serviced exhaust checked over. I want to get rid of the crappy pod filter but I can't find any oem any where even phoned Toyota they not got any. I seen a custom one on the for sale section but it won't let me comment on it :/ steering wheel shakes on motorway at high speed which is scaring me a lil aswell. I'd give it a second thought racing a saxo vtr off the lights that's how much confidence I got in it lol something ain't right :(

Yeah it's aerotop jap import don't get me wrong I do love it just slower than I expected.. Faster than an audi tt lmao funniest thing have heard all day I had an audi tt 225 as it goes n no way is this na faster that's for sure. Thanks for the advice I'll get it serviced exhaust checked over. I want to get rid of the crappy pod filter but I can't find any oem any where even phoned Toyota they not got any. I seen a custom one on the for sale section but it won't let me comment on it :/ steering wheel shakes on motorway at high speed which is scaring me a lil aswell. I'd give it a second thought racing a saxo vtr off the lights that's how much confidence I got in it lol something ain't right :(

You need to be a member, its only a tenner, to buy and sell & PM

Get the alignment checked and a general check of the bushes

I would appreciate that a lot if you could bud I could travel to you if that's easier save your fuel ;) guessing you was or are in the army I was in the army myself in 3 rifles :)

How fast does your car move in Drive with no throttle input?

When you next park up on a relatively flat surface, turn the engine off, reach down and hold the red button next to the gear shifter and select neutral, release the handbrake ensuring the car doesn't roll, get half out and try and push the car back and forth. If it doesn't move freely then I suspect your brakes are partially seized. If you are not in a position to jack up the wheels and inspect each corner then you can go for a little drive and then stop and see if a particular wheel is warmer than the others. Well worth checking as it could be a cause of the steering shake at speed too.

How fast does your car move in Drive with no throttle input?

When you next park up on a relatively flat surface, turn the engine off, reach down and hold the red button next to the gear shifter and select neutral, release the handbrake ensuring the car doesn't roll, get half out and try and push the car back and forth. If it doesn't move freely then I suspect your brakes are partially seized. If you are not in a position to jack up the wheels and inspect each corner then you can go for a little drive and then stop and see if a particular wheel is warmer than the others. Well worth checking as it could be a cause of the steering shake at speed too.

Mine did that and it turned out to be a seized rear caliper.

Rear calipers do seize. I had one on my old N/A seize and I suspect one on my current N/A is seizing on as well as I get heavy juddering that starts at 90 leptons which is usually back end related. The other thing that can drastically improve things on an ageing auto is doing a gear box oil flush. I did one on my old N/A and it made the pick up better, the gear changes slicker and it just drove a lot better. I dunno wether to bother on my current N/A as a conversion is firmly on the cards. Finding a TT black aerotop is nigh on impossible (apart from the one that is now on the forum FFS) so I went with an N/A. I'd sell ours and buy the TT that's for sale now but I'd end up selling mine and missing the other one ending up with no supra lol. It does feel embarrassingly slow and my 530D would literally muller it!

I'll be intouch al Massey thanks. Don't thinks it's brakes the guy said just had new ones all round but I'll get them checked anyway cheers gonna guess filter getting that sorted asap and that annoying rattle! Would love a turbo in it gonna try save up big time now ;) lol thanks for all the advice guys appreciated :)