The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Slightly disappointed

Guest Dayl26

My back end kicks out abit high speed too coupled with the shaking steering wheel feels like a death trap sometimes :/ I thought supras supposed high eaters.. One thing I noticed today rims stick out more than the tires maybe that's all my handling issues?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My back end kicks out abit high speed too coupled with the shaking steering wheel feels like a death trap sometimes :/ I thought supras supposed high eaters.. One thing I noticed today rims stick out more than the tires maybe that's all my handling issues?

Do you mean like this?...

http://cdn.speedhunters.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/IMG_6525_copy.jpg

The N/A auto felt absolutely gutless to me to be honest bud. I know it wasn't as it's a powerful enough car, it just FELT that way. The way it revs (high) to even just pull away is loud and revvy, with no pull.

Thing is, I've driven a couple of manual N/As and they were completely different.

I too drive a 2.2 TDCi Mondeo and I know exactly where you are coming from. Most diesels will feel quicker than most N/As though, simply due to the way power is delivered. The rev range makes the difference, that and the fact that the Supra only starts to stretch its legs after 80.

The TT was the same for me BTW. I had a MR2 turbo prior to the Supra, the Supra had more of a surge..... but the MR2 just felt quicker.

The NA auto I drove once did feel a lot slower than the manual version. My current NA 5spd isn't quick by modern standards but it picks up fairly well below 70mph.

One thing to look for is the butterfly operation in the inlet manifold. There's an actuator in the inlet pipe that keeps only one branch open at lower RPM then opens the 2nd branch around 4k rpm. Some goons wire this open with the mistaken belief it makes more power (or in my case pressure pipe to the actuator had become detached). You should feel a bit of pick up of power around 4krpm when the actuator opens, if not, have a look at it.

With the actuator not working it caused a big drop in torque in the low and mid range. My thread about it is here: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?230114-Lack-of-power-NA

I'd suggest you try and get it on a dyno to see what sort of power it's making and to check the torque curve is looking healthy. You may also get chance to play with the timing (via the distributor cap) and this can release more power when setup correctly.

I'll be intouch al Massey thanks. Don't thinks it's brakes the guy said just had new ones all round but I'll get them checked anyway cheers gonna guess filter getting that sorted asap and that annoying rattle! Would love a turbo in it gonna try save up big time now ;) lol thanks for all the advice guys appreciated :)

I've sent you a message, but not sure if you can view/reply if you're not a paid member.

I've had 2 na autos now and they both felt a lot quicker than the one my missus has, but I am now used to a TT bpu so I have been putting it down to the fact I am now comparing hers to mine. Interesting point about the transmission flush though, in both of the na cars I had the transmissions were silky smooth and fast, hers is a bit clunky in the lower gears. Something I need to look at.

Edited by Shane (see edit history)

So, it is essentially a gearing issue? i.e in auto gears are too tall. N/A 5spd moves better than my friends old (2003 or 2004) BMW 530D or Volvo V40 T4 in straight line. I think 3rd and 4rth are quite short gears and close together, which gives it quite good on the move performance. Similar than my mates 2011 Golf GTI. 2nd gear is quite tall tho (it breaks 60mph) and it makes it feels quite sluggish in slower speeds. I think that 2nd gear is so tall because they wanted top have best possible 0-60mph time.

However, maybe everything is not lost. I did have a IS200A and it did have quite similar box with much weaker engine. When you want to go fast, you should change gears to 3rd and after that kick down will make rest of it. But yeah, that auto box can be a serious performance killer...

I'll be intouch al Massey thanks. Don't thinks it's brakes the guy said just had new ones all round but I'll get them checked anyway cheers gonna guess filter getting that sorted asap and that annoying rattle! Would love a turbo in it gonna try save up big time now ;) lol thanks for all the advice guys appreciated :)

He probably means it had new pads all around, a sticking caliper will certainly slow you down and give the shuddering you and others described.

Good luck though as your car looks alright.

Al Massey yeah I got your number mate I'll give you a bell when u free to have a look? Not really like them tires it's got 19s jader alloys rims stick out about half an inch. Think the rattle is coming from the manifold heat shield honestly don't think it's seized brake still not had chance take it to garage yet with work etc.. On the plus side about performance first time I tried it in manual today 1st n 2nd and ooooomg what a difference seems way way faster quite impressed actually so in future gonna use gears then drive ;) hope everyone's had a good day and enjoy your wkends peeps :)

Al Massey yeah I got your number mate I'll give you a bell when u free to have a look? Not really like them tires it's got 19s jader alloys rims stick out about half an inch. Think the rattle is coming from the manifold heat shield honestly don't think it's seized brake still not had chance take it to garage yet with work etc.. On the plus side about performance first time I tried it in manual today 1st n 2nd and ooooomg what a difference seems way way faster quite impressed actually so in future gonna use gears then drive ;) hope everyone's had a good day and enjoy your wkends peeps :)

Even though you say it's not a seized caliper, for future reference you can just jack the car and spin the wheel. If it's stiff as hell it's seized.

You can call or text me anytime and I'll have a look mate.

And do that before you go to a garage, no point wasting money when you have a great resource in this forum and I'm willing to come have a look.

Since today was the first time you used it manually, have you used overdrive yet?

So reset the ECU it maybe has learned slow driving and I again say flush the box as it sounds box related. Mine needs flushing for sure. Mine is now dropping a missed cylinder in occasionally when in gear at a stand still, knock it into neutral and it doesn't miss.