The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Skippyboyo1's 2014 build finished LOTS of pics

skippyboyo1

Looks like you based all your reliability issues on an old Vauxhall engine swap, known to go pop! ;)

How's the flocked dash to live with? IIRC you've had in for a while?

Loving the seats!

I've had lots of cars not just the Astra, had an evo 6, wrx etc all ended badly, I have no issues with this engine and that's what's important to me.

Flocked dash is fine, people always comment on it. However I wouldn't want to take it out again.... Ball ache!

I'm about to pull the trigger on another car actualy which goes against my better judgment. An r33 GTR but that's another story and will probably end badly but I've been toying with the idea for far too long not to get one.

Supra is staying as it is engine wise.

I'm in awe at this!! Absolute credit to you mate! Stunning!

Each to their own, but I personally see no problem with driving a well sorted NA! I used to have a TT6 which sold for a house deposit. I now have an NA which although isn't as fast, I enjoy driving more! Go figure!

Alright guys, bloody hell I've had a few pm's about carbon I'll try and answer them all on here in 1 go.

Carbon is horrible to work with, it hates to bend, it won't go round corners and is an all round pig. There's a Traider on here who does carbon and I'm sure he will agree. One thing I also need to point out is for around a year I've had this planned and researched all options available. There was a guy on here from Ireland that claimed to do all the dash pannels for £300, if that's the case I'll take 10 sets right now as that price is way too low.

To get the finish I have has not been easy to say the least. I spent 3 solid days rubbing the pannels down alone. Then they need painting with black apoxy resin and then the fun starts, you have to lay the carbon on the parts getting in to all the contours etc and apply apoxy resin.... Then in to a vac bag to get all the resin to penitrate the carbon, then under a heat lamp to dry, once dry the parts need rubbing down then more resin and repeat the process.... Mine has 5 coats. Then the final rub down and clear coat. The clear coat is then rubbed down and clear coated again and repeat until you get a good finish. My dash pannels have around 40 hours of work in them, the sound system just to carbon has around 15.

Ok so where did I get it done, there's no point in saying to be honest, it was a good friend of mine but to make it worth him doing the dash pannels would be around the 1k mark easy (just for dash pannels) plus said he wouldn't want to do it again . My bill at mates rates for all this was the price of a small car and that's mates rates.

Carbon is super super expensive a total ball ach but obviously people love it but also have no idea how complex it is.

To get it cheep I hear the best way is to send your bits off to china as it's cheep labour.

Hahaha! :D

All very true about the carbon mate. You're right, it is a ball ache to work with and get a decent finish unless you have a big autoclave set up (which I don't, I work only in my kitchen on the bench lol). Spot on regarding the prices too - to recover the amount of hours work that goes into it, I'd have to charge prices that, to be honest, nobody would want to pay.

Anyhow, you're mate has done a top notch job on your car and the whole car looks great - you should be very proud!

Hahaha! :D

All very true about the carbon mate. You're right, it is a ball ache to work with and get a decent finish unless you have a big autoclave set up (which I don't, I work only in my kitchen on the bench lol). Spot on regarding the prices too - to recover the amount of hours work that goes into it, I'd have to charge prices that, to be honest, nobody would want to pay.

Anyhow, you're mate has done a top notch job on your car and the whole car looks great - you should be very proud!

Just see this Stevo, glad you agree, it certainly is an artform that's for sure.

It's ok for the guys that use it for weight saving as it does not have to look pretty, the theme at goodwood this year is carbon. Everything is dripping in it

Cars come a long way since the last time I saw pictures of it. Shes looking lovely some amazing touches which make it stand out!

It nice to see someone giving a NA some love they seem to be used and abused these days and most are deteriorating quickly from what I have seen.

Cars a credit to you :thumbs:

• 7 months later...