The mkiv Supra Owners Club

First Supra Project

Richie_k83

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a break in the weather today so decided to put some shiny bits on the car to cheer me up a little...

Pulled the old struts off the rear

Pulled the sway-bar off too to pop the new Whiteline bar on

Whiteline heavy duty adjustable links dropped on too

Teins lookin much better, ran out of light so called it quits

Will hopefully have the fronts on tomorrow too, then set the ride height. Once the engine is fixed, we will be getting a full geo setup.

Cant wait...!

Edited by Richie_k83 (see edit history)

Finally had the chance to pull the old leaky suspension off and fit the new shiny gear today.

The passengers front damper is shot looking at the state of it

I also took the chance to pull all of the arch liners out and Waxoyl underneath them.

All bolted up along with the front sway-bar and adjustable links

Really coming together now...

End result after a bit more lowering, not the best pic as I was running out of light :(

Took a closer pic of the wheel to show how much lower it is. I wanted the Tyre flush with the arch or as close to it as possible anyway...

Chuffed with how much better she sits. Once she is running properly, I will be getting the geo setup sorted. Interested to see how well she's going to handle :)

More bits arrived today, noticed the front discs and pads were long past a change so had a scout round at work. Our office in Germany happened to have a set of Stoptech Slotted Rotors and Street Sports Pads in stock for cheaps so i snapped them up

They don't look too bad so will be a job for the weekend.

However, in my utter foolishness, I ordered UK Spec Pads and Rotors. I have Lexus 4 Pots, so they aren't going to fit :(

Doh....!

Ahh well, will have to source something else, Braided lines and new fluid soon...

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I have come to the conclusion that the Engine is need of a rebuild, so the car is off the road for the winter now.

I should hopefully be picking up a block and crank ready to build up soon...

Given the noises from the engine, I have a dreaded feeling its scrap :(

So, Winter plans, full rebuild, Pistons, Rods etc & hopefully a Manual 5 Speed conversion if funds allow.

May look into a Whifbitz Turbo Kit too.

Just need to tidy the man cave ready to lock myself away.

If you're only looking to upgrade to the 5 speed box you won't be needing pistons dude. The W58 will let go long before the OEM pistons reach a level where they will need changed. I think the W58 starts to struggle around the 400hp mark, you're pistons will be fine at that level.

You could try and get hold of a R154 5 speed box but they are pretty rare these days. That'll will handle a lot more power :)

If your after a W58 5 speed box then I should hopefully have one available in a few months time :) What kinda power you looking to get from the NA-T conversion? will be nice to see it with a turbo on :)

Possibly bud, depends on price cos i'v gotta fair chunk of money to save/spend for the rebuild lol

If you're only looking to upgrade to the 5 speed box you won't be needing pistons dude. The W58 will let go long before the OEM pistons reach a level where they will need changed. I think the W58 starts to struggle around the 400hp mark, you're pistons will be fine at that level.

You could try and get hold of a R154 5 speed box but they are pretty rare these days. That'll will handle a lot more power :)

Think i might be going for pistons anyways, £220 for a set of OEM rings whereas i can get a set of new forged Wiseco ones for about £450 from work.

What is it that tends to let go on the W58's?

Think i might be going for pistons anyways, £220 for a set of OEM rings whereas i can get a set of new forged Wiseco ones for about £450 from work.

What is it that tends to let go on the W58's?

That's not so bad then, it'll future proof it as well if you decide for more power :)

The gears themselves are what give way as far as I'm aware. Once they go they're scrap I think.

That's not so bad then, it'll future proof it as well if you decide for more power :)

The gears themselves are what give way as far as I'm aware. Once they go they're scrap I think.

True, I would like go NA-T in the future, once the Suspension and Brakes etc are all up to scratch.

Definately interested in a manual conversion, but I don't want it goin boom! Lol

Maybe I'll do it whilst still NA, then change to a stronger box and clutch when I go Turbo...

True, i would like go NA-T in the future, once the suspension and brakes etc are all up to scratch.

Defo interested in a manual conversion, but i don't want it goin boom! Lol

Maybe i'll do it whilst still NA and then change to a stronger box and clutch when i go Turbo...

If your going NA-T I'd recommend going for David P's hybrid auto box rather than a 5 speed. A w58 wont with stand the torque for very long and you'll always have the fear of it going bang.

Do you plan on running the car with the pistons installed without going NA-T? as lowering the compression will result in a loss in performance if your staying NA.

If your going NA-T I'd recommend going for David P's hybrid auto box rather than a 5 speed. A w58 wont with stand the torque for very long and you'll always have the fear of it going bang.

Do you plan on running the car with the pistons installed without going NA-T? as lowering the compression will result in a loss in performance if your staying NA.

Not heard of the Hybrid Auto before, will have to take a look...

Sounds expensive mind.

Pistons will keep the same CR, i believe its 8.0:1 for a NA motor?