The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Mini Movie Review

Scott

I like a good movie wasn't sure about Pompeii it was like someone thought hey lets take gladiator and dantes peak and stitch them together, and Keither Sutherland as a Roman chancellor seemed strange the fx were good story was a bit cheesey. Recently watched the grande hotel budapest which is weird I strangely liked it though :) million ways to die in the west which if you like Ted movie you'll like this if you didn't then you probably wont, and Bad neighbours which I had low expectations of but it was ok few funny moments easy to watch when drunk haha.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watched 22 jump street last night.

Can definitely recommend this if you want stomach and rib pains from laughing.

Absolutely comedy genius.

It knows it's a sequel and rips into sequel films, itself and is just pure funny.

Story line isn't too bad either and even though has similarities to the first, it is very different.

I went to see Godzilla at the cinema, I felt cheated beyond belief. I too D/L movies and usually only go to cinema when their is a blockbuster per se.

Godzilla storyline was pathetic, yes I know it is about big monsters, so should be taken pinch of salt but not full gritting lorry.

Films of late have been of thin pickings to be honest, but the 2 stand outs that I can think of writing this (there may be more) and not exactly new are

The Butler

The Blind Side

I enjoyed edge of tomorrow more than I thought! As a gamer geek (a few years ago I was anyway) I really liked the idea of the movie once it settles in - the game link gets explained! (I'm a sci fi fan) better than Elysium (which was rubbish). Anybody seen it yet?

22 Jump street is very funny, if you liked the 21 Jump street then your love 22 Jump street.

I thought Gozilla was a very good film but felt that it really needed more.

I will be seeing Ejde of tomorrow at some point as i think this looks like a really good film and its Sci-fi ( Im a big geek :) )

Couple of films I've seen recently;

Godzilla - good, but not brilliant. Few too much Pacific Rim copying.

Elysium - superb, particularly the Quake style railguns :)

47 Ronin - particularly interested in ancient Japan, but this was a let down. The sum of its parts should have added up to more than it did.

Robocop - put it off for ages as I love the original, but was pleasantly surprised. Very interesting first half (the tech etc), but lacked a lot of the satire and wit of the original.

Europa Report - serious/techy sci-fi thriller/drama. Good, great attention to detail. Interesting, but was obvious in some bits they had a low budget.

Raid

After watching the first raid movie which I didnt expect it to be good (never reached cinemas) I was amazed, probably one of the best martial arts movie since IP MAN. The story "A S.W.A.T. team becomes trapped in a tenement run by a ruthless mobster and his army of killers and thugs".

Raid 2: Raid 2 was as good if not better than the first movie "Only a short time after the first raid, Rama goes undercover with the thugs of Jakarta and plans to bring down the syndicate and uncover the corruption within his police force." The fight scenes are epic in this movie.

I don't want to give much away but I recommend watching them. Both movies have subtitles

Monuments Men...

I thought this was quite good, watched it last night. The characters are well cast and the film makes you root for them. Bill Murray is particularly good in this although he has one of the smaller roles out of the cast. The film really pulls you in with the thought that it will be a war/comedy (weird to describe) type of film then as it develops the horrors of war set in and you can see how the characters react to what is in essence a mission regarded as one of pure futility. I would highly recommend this film.

Lone Survivor...

This was another one I watched this week. A lot of people saying that this is a pro war film only fit for US propaganda. It does come across initially as very gung ho/hooah type of film. The film centres on a 4 man US Navy SEAL recon team carrying out a pre raid observation mission. I won't give away the rest of the story, but it had me on the edge of my seat. The film has some truly jaw dropping set pieces and moments of tension. It then becomes less of an action film and more a film depicting human nature both good and bad. Was an enjoyable watch, even the missus enjoyed this one.

2 films well worth a watch.

I watch a lot of films and the film that has REALLY stood out in recent times is a film called Oldboy, it's an older film (2003) and it's Korean so you have subtitles, but it is pretty mind blowing and keeps you guessing all the way through to a completely unexpected ending, I would recommend it to everybody.

Beware though, there is an American remake that is terrible, avoid under all circumstances, it ruins the ending of the original and leads you there with pretty horrendous script work, if you must watch it, watch the original first.

I watch a lot of films and the film that has REALLY stood out in recent times is a film called Oldboy, it's an older film (2003) and it's Korean so you have subtitles, but it is pretty mind blowing and keeps you guessing all the way through to a completely unexpected ending, I would recommend it to everybody.

Beware though, there is an American remake that is terrible, avoid under all circumstances, it ruins the ending of the original and leads you there with pretty horrendous script work, if you must watch it, watch the original first.

Another vote for the original Oldboy :thumbs: I have not even entertained attempting to watch the new version. But as Marc states the ending was unexpected and is a WTF moment.

One film again that is quite old (2005) is Hard Candy, brilliant film and shocking on how it delves into such a taboo subject.

Raid

After watching the first raid movie which I didnt expect it to be good (never reached cinemas) I was amazed, probably one of the best martial arts movie since IP MAN. The story "A S.W.A.T. team becomes trapped in a tenement run by a ruthless mobster and his army of killers and thugs".

Raid 2: Raid 2 was as good if not better than the first movie "Only a short time after the first raid, Rama goes undercover with the thugs of Jakarta and plans to bring down the syndicate and uncover the corruption within his police force." The fight scenes are epic in this movie.

I don't want to give much away but I recommend watching them. Both movies have subtitles

Not seen Raid 2 yet, looking forward to it now :thumbs:

I've been meaning to watch the Raid movies for ages. Sounds very cheesy, but if they're anything like the standard of the IP man films then they can only be good. Oldboy has been on my watch list for a while, I'll definitely ditch the remake in favour of the original though.

Not seen Raid 2 yet, looking forward to it now :thumbs:

I've been meaning to watch the Raid movies for ages. Sounds very cheesy, but if they're anything like the standard of the IP man films then they can only be good. Oldboy has been on my watch list for a while, I'll definitely ditch the remake in favour of the original though.

Be warned Raid 2 is a very long movie, I think almost 2.5 hours but its a must see.

I will check out Oldboy

Raid was superb, also not seen the 2nd one yet.

Oldboy (original as is often the case) was very good.

Quite a good few Korean films out there, I'd seriously recommend one called R-Point if you can ever get it on DVD etc, a kind of psychological/supernatural horror set in the Korean War. Very very good.

In the same vein as Raid - is anyone else as desperate as me for a Dredd sequel?!?!

Try - Sci Fi films Event Horizon and Sunshine. Also Ravenous with Robert Carlyle & Guy Pearce is excellent. Tears of the Sun (Bruce W war film)

Event Horizon was a great film, shock factor as I really had no idea that it was going to be like that, the drive home from the cinema was odd, everyone was silent wondering what the hell they just seen.

For Sci Fi Aliens is still right up there for me, the extended directors cut is well worth it too.

In the same vein as Raid - is anyone else as desperate as me for a Dredd sequel?!?!

Yes, me. I used to read 200AD and I liked both Dredd films in their own right, but I would have rather the Stallone one stuck closer to the comics. I thought the Karl Urban reboot was great and it was a crying shame that it just ended up being compared to The Raid when it was released.

I thought there was talk of a sequel? I recall some chatter about it using one of the more grand story arcs from the comics - probably involving the Dark Judges and Sisters of Death. Although I reckon this would be a success comemrcially, for me it would just reduce the it to "just another sci-fi horror". I hate mordern horror films, especially the zombie genre. I stopped reading 2000AD before the Necropolis story, but I gather that's a massive zombie fest which has been mooted as a possible basis for a Dredd sequel. I know that these stories form a big part of the Dredd universe but I'd rather see him in his "everyday" guise, fighting crime like a future Dirty Harry than a pure sci-fi figure.

All the love for Event Horizon..... the studio left the best of it on the editing suite floor, when you get the flashes of hell and torture, that was supposed to be a sustained half hour of really nasty hell but the studio freaked at the graphic scenes. This has always made it ultimately disappointing and I doubt we'll ever see the version the director intended.

On Oldboy (original), if you liked it, it's the middle film of a vengeance trilogy by the same director. First one is Sympathy For Mr Vengeance and last one is Lady Vengeance, and the camera work on the final film is amazing.

Loved Dredd too having grown up reading 2000AD, but I don't think it made enough at the box office for a sequel.

Raid Films - brilliant.

The Book Thief - pretty good watch and enjoyable captivating movie

Pain and Gain - brilliant and very funny film

2 Guns - similar in style to above. Brilliant and very funny film. Denzel and Mark are class.

American Hustle - again a truly brilliant film. Acting is world class and the plot totally enthralling

Captain Philips - really impressed by this. Proper edge of your seat action.

Olympus has Fallen - world class film. Probably Top 20 of all time for me.

The Family - Robert De Niro. Great film and good storyline throughout. Definitely worth a watch.

3 Days to Kill - easily one of my top 5 WORST films ever.

Enders Game - again easily one of my top 5 WORST films ever.