The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Mini Movie Review

Scott

Just watched the Raid. Unfortunately.... I was expecting too much. Granted, some of the choreography is absolutely outstanding, the fight scene towards the end is sublime, and that wee guy can fight like feck.

I genuinely can't compare it to Ip Man at all. The only resemblance in any way is the choreography, but even then the IP Man movies are more traditionally Kung Fu and Chi based than this was. There was absolutely no culture to this movie, it was purely about action and violence. No "way of life" meaning to the movie and completely riddled with stereotypes and cliche's.

Granted, I did enjoy it and I would say for anyone who enjoys action/kung-fu movies to watch it...... but it's nowhere near the more "traditional" Chinese Kung-Fu movies that have been produced in recent years.

I'll definitely still give the Raid 2 a watch though.

Out of curiosity, and be certain I am in no way stereotyping here, did anyone else think the same characters kept popping up through the Raid? The guy with the Afro seemed to turn up a lot (possibly different, but looked exactly the same IMO) and a couple of others seemed to stand out and cause Deja-vu in me.

IP man is the better movie no doubt but this is the best thing thats come out since thats martial arts related and a good watch. You wont be disappointed by Raid 2 although I was confused alot!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Transcendence - Load of rubbish.

The idea is good, but the surroundings are awful. It's slow, scattered, unrealistic (even given the content) and drags oooooonnnnnnnnnnn.

Johnny Depp's worst film IMO.

• 3 weeks later...

Last Vegas - Reasonable flick. Quite predictable, but fun and enjoyable. Nice little twist on the bachelor movie without going too overboard and making it unbelievable.

Rush - Fantastic movie, really enjoyed it. Brilliantly put together and very well depicted throughout. A must for any petrol head.

The Family - Mediocre but OK if you've nothing better to do. Quite enjoyable throughout with a VERY predictable ending.

The raid 2 - Action packed and quite intense. Again, I was expecting more from the plot/culture given the rave reviews but the action just has to be seen to be believed. Some of the fight scenes are just jaw dropping.

Divergent - Thought this was going to be truly horrific, but I was pleasantly surprised. It's quite out there but the explanation of the plot eventually makes some sense (the trailers make it seem like a ridiculous prejudice). Worth a watch, but don't expect anything magnificent.

Noah - Given the opinions I read on this film I was expecting it to be awful. Very pleasantly surprised by this film and I quite enjoyed it. I still can't go Russell Crowe but the film was decent. You need to switch off from it though as some of it did annoy me. For example... creationism and evolution get intertwined to show that "7 days" isn't actually 7 days and yet the people who eat meat are shown as some kind of evil...... when we would in fact still be living in caves if it wasn't for fire & meat. It was also stated that man doesn't need protein to be strong.

Hi guys,

Enjoyed this movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD-Hadlnp9I

(Have no idea where else can I get the one with dubbed translation)

Thought non of you guys seen any Russian movies before? (This one is fully dubbed I must say nice job translating)

Afganistan veterans will be able to see some collegues of Afgan war in 1979-1989.

If you watch it please comment, very interested in your thoughts of modern Russian cinema.

Thank you.

Hi guys,

Enjoyed this movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD-Hadlnp9I

(Have no idea where else can I get the one with dubbed translation)

Thought non of you guys seen any Russian movies before? (This one is fully dubbed I must say nice job translating)

Afganistan veterans will be able to see some collegues of Afgan war in 1979-1989.

If you watch it please comment, very interested in your thoughts of modern Russian cinema.

Thank you.

I shall most probably watch this :-) In fact I think I may have added it to my LoveFilm rental list already so I may watch that as I prefer subtitles to dubs. I certainly recognise the title, though.

Not quite the same thing, but I watched "The Beast" a few days back and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Transcendence - Load of rubbish.

The idea is good, but the surroundings are awful. It's slow, scattered, unrealistic (even given the content) and drags oooooonnnnnnnnnnn.

Johnny Depp's worst film IMO.

I also watched this the other day. It really is an awful film, I can't believe it had Johnny Depp and Morgan freeman in it to be honest. I felt like none of them had any personality in this film though, if you switched them out with some lesser known actors the film wouldn't have even got any attention. The setting was really dull, most of the movie was in the middle of nowhere.

I usually enjoy films about ai, technology, the future etc too. I'd avoid this one.

Anyone seen anything decent at the cinema lately?

Just got back from the cinema from watching 'the fault in our stars' with the Mrs.

I don't think a 30 year old bloke who's into cars and guns and fights was necessarily the target demographic, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Basically a love story told from the perspective of teenage cancer sufferers. Difficult subject matter but well acted.

I'm going all soft!

Just got back from the cinema from watching 'the fault in our stars' with the Mrs.

I don't think a 30 year old bloke who's into cars and guns and fights was necessarily the target demographic, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Basically a love story told from the perspective of teenage cancer sufferers. Difficult subject matter but well acted.

I'm going all soft!

I was 'made' to watch this too the other week, good movie worth watching. Don't expect fairy tale ending tho folks, cancer rarely delivers such, even in movies!

I'm going all soft!

I watched this recently with the misses and was 1 of 2 blokes in the who cinema and literally every girl in there was crying. Ill be honest I had to hold a tear back at one point :lol: its a good film... If you want to pull vulnerable women lol

I watched this recently with the misses and was 1 of 2 blokes in the who cinema and literally every girl in there was crying. Ill be honest I had to hold a tear back at one point :lol: its a good film... If you want to pull vulnerable women lol

With all those women, what eye had a tear?

I watched Transcendence last night, not a bad film. However it did feel like it was trying to do too much - very rushed in places and massive use of the 'montage'. I think it would have made a brilliant series, could easily be stretched out, more ideas added and really explore the questions and opportunities raised. It was a bit like all the matrix films pushed into one but not quite delivering. Worth a watch though.

Couldn't sleep so went all Kung Fu tonight.

Shaolin Soccer - Some bits of this movie are really OTT, on the whole it's quite enjoyable though. Not in any way serious, just good fun.

Kung Fu Hustle - Getting on a bit now, but still a fantastic movie.

Bunraku - One of the most under-rated films I have ever seen. Fantastic movie IMO, if you like Kung Fu with the gang side of things then this is definitely the movie for you. Almost comic book like, in a similar way as Sin City is, with some really nice scripting and a decent enough plot. I've watched this a few times now and always thoroughly enjoy it.

Couldn't sleep so went all Kung Fu tonight.

Shaolin Soccer - Some bits of this movie are really OTT, on the whole it's quite enjoyable though. Not in any way serious, just good fun.

Kung Fu Hustle - Getting on a bit now, but still a fantastic movie.

Bunraku - One of the most under-rated films I have ever seen. Fantastic movie IMO, if you like Kung Fu with the gang side of things then this is definitely the movie for you. Almost comic book like, in a similar way as Sin City is, with some really nice scripting and a decent enough plot. I've watched this a few times now and always thoroughly enjoy it.

I've got bunraku on DVD and its a great film!