The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Mini Movie Review

Scott

Oh well, at least the vodka and biscuits was good.

The film is actually a reasonable idea. It's mostly been done before, but it's a nice little take on it (internet secret fighting competition). The real issue is the execution. The dialogue is awful, literally cringeworthy in places, and the acting is almost as bad (Keanu does his usual cardboard acting here, but he's not even the worst).

Plot Spoier******

Young lad is unbelievably good at Tai Chi, learns from the best and ends up mastering the technique. Chooses a path of action rather than flow with the technique and winds up trying his hand at combat. Using the opponents strength against them, he ends up being unbelievably good and peaks the interest of an underground group who promote fights online. Running parallel he takes part in local tournaments, where he becomes increasingly more violent towards his opponents.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watched guardians of the galaxy last night and it is definitely worth a watch. Some funny bits in there but a serious undertone to the film at the same time, not sure if they did that very well as sometimes the transition between funny and serious came across stupid at times. Some good action scenes, solid acting and amusing characters though. So yea enjoyed it!

Just watched The Legend Is Born: Ip Man

Does exactly what it says on the tin, with a couple of unexpected, although a little weak, twists in it. I was pleasantly surprised by this one. Solid 7/10 as per the IMDB score.

On another note, I was just looking through a couple of 80s flicks and one popped into my head, ironically not from the 80s, The First Great Train Robbery

I didn't see it until it was on TV at some point in the 80s, hence why it popped into my head, but it's a truly brilliant piece of film. The cast is fantastic, the plot is sublime and it all makes for a thoroughly entertaining film. I watched it again a few years ago and it still held good weight compared to some of the dross that gets fired out nowadays. Going by the IMDB score, I would say this one is really under-rated. 8.5 all day long for me :)

Edit: It'll be tomorrows viewing pleasure :)

Got to love those 70s trailers :D

Thoroughly enjoyed it yet again. Definitely one of my favourite films.

Just stuck on After the Sunset. Really enjoy this film, seen it a half dozen times now. Really good fun action/black comedy. Amazing thief tries his best to retire in paradise, while the FBI agent he managed to evade for years still has his eyes set firmly on catching him. Scoop the brain out and enjoy kind of movie :)

Just watched Escape Plan. Had no idea what this was about before watching, but was pleasantly surprised. Some of the twists were obvious, but it was still really enjoyable. Nice premise and good to see the old timers still kicking butt.

Just watched Escape Plan. Had no idea what this was about before watching, but was pleasantly surprised. Some of the twists were obvious, but it was still really enjoyable. Nice premise and good to see the old timers still kicking butt.

Yea I thought it was a good film when I watched it! Enjoyed it greatly.

Also to keep it to this thread rather than making loads of threads for separate films... I've seen inbetweeners 2 tonight and really enjoyed it. Some bits were grim but it added to the humour IMO. Is what it says on the tin. If you like the inbetweeners then you'll love this. The whole cinema was packed and in hysterics.

Escape plan did exactly what it said on the tin for me. You know exactly what to expect before you put it on, so there is no way to be disappointed. Good old fashioned entertainment :)

Yep, thoroughly enjoyable for all the right reasons. Thankfully there was a little Arnie moment with the MG near the end which made it spot on. Good supporting cast too, always thought Caviezel was underrated

Yep, thoroughly enjoyable for all the right reasons. Thankfully there was a little Arnie moment with the MG near the end which made it spot on. Good supporting cast too, always thought Caviezel was underrated

I'm actually really glad that producers and directors have noticed that there's nothing wrong with a bit of ham and action. There was a period over the last few years where they were a thing of the past and it seemed like there was no return in sight. IMO it was the expendables that turned the corner for the genre.

The thing is though, and it seems to have been noticed, it doesn't matter how far movie audiences have come with regards to their tastes...... there's always room for a bit of ham-action :D

The Inbetweeners 2 - Not really a lot to say about this one. IMO it's not as good as the first, but if you enjoyed the first then you'll like this. It starts off a little slow and a bit episode-typical. Once it gets into the swing it's full steam ahead though, some of the scenes are simply laugh out loud hilarious. Another film where you know exactly what you are getting, and it doesn't disappoint.

The Grandmaster - Another Ip Man tale. Fantastic cinematography in this one, really sublime viewing. Unfortunately it all falls down with the storyline. It's simply all over the place. I follow the most complicated of storylines/plots with absolute ease but this one is just all over the place. Nothing seems to link together. The timeline is backwards then forwards, with very little actually cohesion.

This film had some real potential to be great. It has all the visual makings of a masterpiece, but the really poor timeline/storyline lets it down.

Awesome movie. Just need to stumble across it, and then you're hooked until the end all over again. Enjoy.

Exactly, Wife was channel hopping and instinctively stopped when she saw it was on. Only missed about 20 minutes from the start. She's getting REALLY annoyed at me quoting every other line just before it's said though :D

Exactly, Wife was channel hopping and instinctively stopped when she saw it was on. Only missed about 20 minutes from the start. She's getting REALLY annoyed at me quoting every other line just before it's said though :D

Sounds like my house, except we just went from Anchorman 2 to Arachnid to Star Wars... and now the quotes have started coming... :rolleyes:

Tonight's viewing consisted of Mortal Kombat and The Prestige.

Not really a lot to say about Mortal Kombat, it is exactly what it makes itself out to be.

The Prestige - I really enjoy this film other than one lingering thought that I cannot shake. Unfortunately this isn't really a film that you can just scoop your brain out with, it requires a little concentration.

****SPOILER****

When Angier gets his invention (cloning machine) he decides that it's better to kill the clones rather than just clone himself once and perform the trick as he did previously. I just don't understand this. I get the aim of the movie and all, obsession is a very dangerous thing, but to actually go to those lengths seemed strange when there was a far more humane option.

The Prestige - I really enjoy this film other than one lingering thought that I cannot shake. Unfortunately this isn't really a film that you can just scoop your brain out with, it requires a little concentration.

****SPOILER****

When Angier gets his invention (cloning machine) he decides that it's better to kill the clones rather than just clone himself once and perform the trick as he did previously. I just don't understand this. I get the aim of the movie and all, obsession is a very dangerous thing, but to actually go to those lengths seemed strange when there was a far more humane option.

Just watched The Prestige tonight. Really enjoyed it. Do you think Angier was playing the long game? Ie, he knew Alfred was just as obsessed, so it was always an effort to frame him (especially considering the method used to kill the clones)?

Definitely. I'm not sure how much of it was planned to work out that way, but my guess is that... due to the unique way the trick was done, he could be ready at any time the opportunity arose, with minimal planning actually required. As soon as he saw him taking an interest all he had to do was not reveal himself. The timing itself was all down to the obsession eating away at Alfred, at that time Angier was content with his method.... he still hungered for revenge though.

Obsession is the theme with the entire movie. Both over the magic and over the past. Very well thought out but sometimes a little in your face :)

Definitely. I'm not sure how much of it was planned to work out that way, but my guess is that... due to the unique way the trick was done, he could be ready at any time the opportunity arose, with minimal planning actually required. As soon as he saw him taking an interest all he had to do was not reveal himself. The timing itself was all down to the obsession eating away at Alfred, at that time Angier was content with his method.... he still hungered for revenge though.

Obsession is the theme with the entire movie. Both over the magic and over the past. Very well thought out but sometimes a little in your face :)

Agreed. I really thought it was a great movie, even if the twists were a little obvious, it didn't distract from the spectical.

On another note - have you seen The Jacket?