The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Mini Movie Review

Scott

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

on ukso I made a thread up like this as I LOVE movies lol....

snip

absolutely amazing

Ouch, there are some terrible movies in that list for me. 2 stand out worst movies of all time films on that list is 'The Grey' & 'Rec'. It appears you like low budget, severely bad acting type of films. You would get on with my Mrs, she has terrible tastes. :D

Mind you there are some crackers on there too, Goodfellows is epic!!

Going a little OT there Supra N/A. Try to keep it to reviews of stuff you have watched recently, rather just listing your movie life highlights ;)

its a thread there no limit to what I can and can not post! LOL.. also I have watched these recently oh and in ""life time"

Ouch, there are some terrible movies in that list for me. 2 stand out worst movies of all time films on that list is 'The Grey' & 'Rec'. It appears you like low budget, severely bad acting type of films. You would get on with my Mrs, she has terrible tastes. :D

Mind you there are some crackers on there too, Goodfellows is epic!!

so name some "good" films ??

most of them are not low budget imo

rec is great foreign movie about zombies

its a thread there no limit to what I can and can not post! LOL.. also I have watched these recently oh and in ""life time"

Think the ideas for films that have recently been released, otherwise we'd be here all day reading reviews from old films.

Especially if we were to do films in a lifetime, there isn't enough server space for every film I've ever watched and liked....

Depends on how much of an arse you want to appear to be, but yes..... feel free to come across as a complete tool.

Disagree on The Grey, really enjoyed it.

I was quite pleasantly surprised by The Grey too, it's by no means a classic but it had enough in it to fill in a couple of hours and not feel cheated :)

Full of cliches though :D

I was actually quite pleasantly surprised by this one. Bare in mind that it's clearly made on a shoestring budget and it's reasonably well put together. Another film that isn't a classic, but you won't feel cheated for spending the time watching it.

Over-zealous, under appreciated understudy working for a lawfirm ends up stuck in the building with a killer. As expected everything isn't quite as it seems. Yes, it's predictable and yes it has all the usual "don't go that way" nonsense, but overall it's reasonable entertainment :)

Just remembered Bad Words too. It's quite a clever film and I enjoyed that side of it, my Wife got a little bored of it and fell asleep near the end but I was with it the whole way through. Ending is a little cheesy but everything up to it is reasonable.

Fully grown, and clever, adult joins a spelling bee competition. Uses a literal description of the rules to get through, trying to get to the finals. Everyone around the competition sees it as an absolute farce.... but dem's the rules :D

Just watched the Raid. Unfortunately.... I was expecting too much. Granted, some of the choreography is absolutely outstanding, the fight scene towards the end is sublime, and that wee guy can fight like feck.

I genuinely can't compare it to Ip Man at all. The only resemblance in any way is the choreography, but even then the IP Man movies are more traditionally Kung Fu and Chi based than this was. There was absolutely no culture to this movie, it was purely about action and violence. No "way of life" meaning to the movie and completely riddled with stereotypes and cliche's.

Granted, I did enjoy it and I would say for anyone who enjoys action/kung-fu movies to watch it...... but it's nowhere near the more "traditional" Chinese Kung-Fu movies that have been produced in recent years.

I'll definitely still give the Raid 2 a watch though.

Out of curiosity, and be certain I am in no way stereotyping here, did anyone else think the same characters kept popping up through the Raid? The guy with the Afro seemed to turn up a lot (possibly different, but looked exactly the same IMO) and a couple of others seemed to stand out and cause Deja-vu in me.

Some of the faults you've picked out in the Raid could possibly be due to it being directed by an Englishman as opposed to a native of the country.

Still good 'turn off the brain' movie though but as you suggested, a little less 'focused'

Some of the faults you've picked out in the Raid could possibly be due to it being directed by an Englishman as opposed to a native of the country.

Still good 'turn off the brain' movie though but as you suggested, a little less 'focused'

Absolutely, the film is what it is..... it isn't trying to copy anything or be anything that it isn't. It was my expectations that were different from what the movie was set out to do.

Spot on though, scoop the brain out.... pour the pint and enjoy some action :)

Bad Parents.... 10 mins in and they've left their infant kid in a detached house while they party in a neighbours detached house. Monitor or not, that's seriously wrong. Best of it is it must be the norm as there is absolutely no deal made out of it at all.

Well for something a bit different, I just watched the original 1984 version of Red Dawn for the first time. Makes the remake look like slapstick. From a time when we all lived under the spectre of the Cold War and films about it were allowed to be cold, bleak and not necessarily have a happy ending, endless preamble nor an obligatory romantic subplot. Loved it :)

Love the cold war films too Digby.

Final recommendation from me for tonight, just watched Ghost Dog - Way of The Samurai for about the 10th time, one of my all time favourites. Forest Whitaker in a different role to normal, and a good mix of different ideas and cultures. Relevant to me at the moment as I'm reading the Hagakure, but a very good film.

Love the cold war films too Digby.

Final recommendation from me for tonight, just watched Ghost Dog - Way of The Samurai for about the 10th time, one of my all time favourites. Forest Whitaker in a different role to normal, and a good mix of different ideas and cultures. Relevant to me at the moment as I'm reading the Hagakure, but a very good film.

I just checked out the trailer as I hadn't heard of it. Must say... it looks horrific. Is it possibly a nostalgia thing? Like Ski School and Monster Squad is for me? :D

Will give it a look....

X-Men, Days of Future past.

Very much like the latest Wolverine movie IMO. So much focus on Wolverine that it could almost be a stand alone movie. Good effects, relatively thin plot, average at best. How it rates 8.4 on IMDB is beyond me. I love the franchise, as I do the Wolverine one, but it's starting to get a little mundane.

I absolutely hate the technology aspect of the X-Men. Everything is just ridiculous with regards to the leaps and bounds in advancements. This movie, and the last Wolverine flick, epitomises exactly that.

Lego movie, so much better than I expected. Very cleverly put together with a lot of really clever/funny parts in it. Batman is hilarious.

Lego construction worker, plain as they come, turns out to be the "one" to save the world. Everything is awesome.

Loved x-men first class and I thought the newer Wolverine movie set in Japan was superb, definitely wasn't as excited for the newer one though.

Nice that it's not been subjected to a reboot yet though!

Heard nothing but good things about the Lego movie, didn't get round to seeing it though.

On another note I was tidying up some books earlier and remembered how much better the World War Z book was compared to the film. Not bad in its own right but far too much was changed from the book.

Loved x-men first class and I thought the newer Wolverine movie set in Japan was superb, definitely wasn't as excited for the newer one though.

Nice that it's not been subjected to a reboot yet though!

Heard nothing but good things about the Lego movie, didn't get round to seeing it though.

On another note I was tidying up some books earlier and remembered how much better the World War Z book was compared to the film. Not bad in its own right but far too much was changed from the book.

I'm not much of a book reader, too slow for me to keep interest. I honestly thought the movie was fantastic though, I had no expectations of the film and I knew next to nothing about it. I just stuck it on and watched it. Both myself and my Wife were blown away with it. Ticked every box for me, with enough of a difference from normal Zombie genres to keep it really interesting.