The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Moo's - Widebody Aerotop Turbo Manual - Build Thread - CCW's !

Mugello

Next the cylinder head came off, and you can see in the background of the first photo how everything was tagged and bagged in case I ever need it.

77162945_457HeadCleaned.thumb.jpg.c85aa89c14941e74e6690bf4c09359d3.jpg

205898304_458HeadCleaned.thumb.jpg.9e55dd4dacc5cca3d0c71caeb7a40da8.jpg

Generally the inside of the engine was in good condition, but it should be right, its a 60k miles VVTi import lump. Which is the main reason why I wanted to open this engine and refresh it. I'm not saying I don't trust the importer or the paperwork that the engine came with, but short of opening the engine its impossible to be truly confident.

The plan at this point was simple. The block and the cylinder head were going off to the machine shop to ensure they were straight and true on the mating surfaces, and I had new ARP headbolts and a new stock Toyota head gasket to go in - Job done?

But then the slippery slope began. My thinking at this point was along the lines of ‘The engine is now apart, so why not build it’. 🤦‍♂️

So my next step was to get the cylinder head and block ready for the machine shop, to have a little more work done than I originally intended.

Also at some point a gumball banner was put up - I think I borrowed it from the London checkpoint.

1686031302_496BlockPrep.thumb.jpg.568d5c8efdf0246a2b07c0421425d4c1.jpg

1977849441_499Block.thumb.jpg.b4bf4dc63740e88c3efe4d908ffd7fe3.jpg

For the eagle eyed viewers, note this is an Aristo engine meaning at this point the sump and engine mounts are not going to fit the supra.

Edited by Mugello (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Loving the home made tool to undo the crank pulley bolt.

You must have done a proper job of isolating that, as they are normally mega tight.

Still a marvelle to look at the standard Toyota twin turbo set up.

Look forward to seeing/ following your plans.

Bit of a dust monster in the background though 😀

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, tayr said:

i like the look of this for the bucket @Noz

I love this look. It's what inspired me for my own build. The curvy shape is pronounced no adding tons of kit on the rear. Black has always been a great colour for the rear angles of the bulb shape of the rear arches.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi, 

I think this is my old Supra Aerotop. Is this L30 DWB?

If so, I bought it around 2009ish from Herefordshire I think.

I was today randomly thinking about it and thought I would see if it was still about. 

It was my 1st and only Supra I owned, loved that Toyota. It was only a non turbo Auto at the time, but the aero top made me want it. 

Would be interesting to know if this is my old Supra. I had it resprayed in the original black colour, but I did change from the standard alloys to something else. I can’t remember the name but they were a graphite colour with polished silver lip. 

would like to post a photo of it when I owned it if that’s ok?

cheers

Matt

Edited by Mjd
Incorrect reg number (see edit history)
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Mjd said:

Hi, 

I was today randomly thinking about it and thought I would see if it was still about. 

It was my 1st and only Supra I owned, loved that Toyota. It was only a non turbo Auto at the time, but the aero top made me want it. 

Would be interesting to know if this is my old Supra. I had it resprayed in the original black colour, but I did change from the standard alloys to something else. I can’t remember the name but they were a graphite colour with polished silver lip. 

cheers

Matt

Yes it is that car. You sold it to a chap called Dave? I got it from him then sold it to Ali(Mugello). 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 2/16/2023 at 7:45 PM, Mjd said:

Hi, 

cheers

Matt

Hi Matt,

Wow what a small world - Please do post some pictures if you have any, I would love to see them.

Also I WILL be updating this thread any day now, just need to find ten minutes.