The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Moo's - Widebody Aerotop Turbo Manual - Build Thread - CCW's !

Mugello

UPDATE: It was at this point that the brake booster was fitted which had also received a fresh coat of paint...

attachment.php?attachmentid=205080&stc=1&d=1442651847

attachment.php?attachmentid=205081&stc=1&d=1442651847

It was at this point that i was losing sleep over the state of the front subframe. So watch this space!

I then turned my attention to the interior, the dash panels were already flocked when i purchased the car but they definitely benefited from a sand down and a re-flock...

For anyone who is thinking about doing this just bare in mind the time it takes to slowly build light layers, have patients and relax :rlol:

First i sanded them down/flat...

attachment.php?attachmentid=205082&stc=1&d=1442652030

Then i began to slowly build layers

attachment.php?attachmentid=205083&stc=1&d=1442652030

attachment.php?attachmentid=205084&stc=1&d=1442652030

The eagle eyed views will notice there is a large dash panel missing. This was because i wanted to modify the dash panel first.

I wanted the panel to house my boost, oil pressure and oil temp gauge in a bank of three...

244 Brake Booster.jpg

245 Brake Booster.jpg

247 Flocking Dash.jpg

248 Flocking Dash.jpg

249 Flocking Dash.jpg

Edited by Mugello (see edit history)

UPDATE: I started by cutting a small section of dash panel out to accept my custom infill piece which i had laser cut from perspex...

attachment.php?attachmentid=205085&stc=1&d=1442652311

Once it was cut to shape i offered up the new piece...

attachment.php?attachmentid=205086&stc=1&d=1442652311

Then i fibreglassed it in place...

attachment.php?attachmentid=205087&stc=1&d=1442652311

Then i spent what felt like days sanding it...

attachment.php?attachmentid=205088&stc=1&d=1442652311

Filled it and sanded again...

attachment.php?attachmentid=205090&stc=1&d=1442652331

Almost there, gave it a quick spray to see the low points... sanded again...

attachment.php?attachmentid=205091&stc=1&d=1442652331

And finally locked and installed with the other dash panels :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=205092&stc=1&d=1442652331

Im really happy with how it turned out to be honest. I think it gives a really clean look and goes well with my seats.

At some point i also did the small section on the drivers door to match the dash, sorry i don't have pictures of this. And also inserted the astray correctly :rlol:

Just need to remove that nasty stock steering wheel

Thanks Moo

:wave:

252 Custom Dash.jpg

253 Custom Dash.jpg

254 Custom Dash.jpg

255 Custom Dash.jpg

310 Custom Dash.jpg

311 Custom Dash.jpg

312 Custom Dash.jpg

320 Flocked Dash.jpg

UPDATE: Again the eagle eyed views will notice that the speedo clocks were in place in the above photos...

These too were modified with a little custom work thrown in for good measure. First of all thanks to Keron for sourcing me a manual set of clocks!

Below are the stock clocks...

attachment.php?attachmentid=205093&stc=1&d=1442652930

Here is my modified clock mats with my own custom logo. Notice these use the same start position for the needles.

attachment.php?attachmentid=205094&stc=1&d=1442652930

After a lot of reading there does seem to be a little bit of a rumor that moving the start position of the stock needles can make the speedo a little inaccurate, so i decided to redesign the clock mats to accommodate. I personally much prefer this design!

The main difference to the TRD speedo clocks is the position of the rev counter start/finish.

attachment.php?attachmentid=205095&stc=1&d=1442652930

Finally while i was there for good measure i replace all the nasty, old LED's with new ones :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=205096&stc=1&d=1442652930

Thanks, Moo

306 Standard Clocks.jpg

307 Custom Clocks.jpg

308 Custom Clocks.jpg

309 New LEDs.jpg

Are the dial faces metal monkey type ones or are they printed like the OEM ones.

I would really like a newer set of dial faces but I don't rate Metal monkey ones. I've had a few sets and they never look right.

I'd love to get some made like the OEM ones.

Richbrook will make some custom printed plastic ones that look identical to stock, but they're circa £300 iirc. I'm running metal monkey ones, and think they look great :)

Brilliant work as always Moo :thumbs: really like watching this car develop.

Awaiting next update :D

Thanks Fitz :thumbs:

Are the dial faces metal monkey type ones or are they printed like the OEM ones.

I would really like a newer set of dial faces but I don't rate Metal monkey ones. I've had a few sets and they never look right.

I'd love to get some made like the OEM ones.

These were made by Metal Monkey yes, but are not metal. They are the same as stock which is the look i wanted :)

Richbrook will make some custom printed plastic ones that look identical to stock, but they're circa £300 iirc. I'm running metal monkey ones, and think they look great :)

Ouch! Mine were less than half that, definitely worth shopping around

Great work with the centre dash panel, that looks really good.

Thanks, cant wait to get the beast finished :cool:

• 3 weeks later...
Once upon a time, I had my heart set on a manual TT Aerotop! Creme de la creme! :thumbs:

Cant agree more! I want to create that, just a single setup ;)

Would love a set of them faces dude how much ?

Drop Metal Monkey a call/email. They were very helpful, of course the price is dependent on what you want :thumbs:

So the dial faces are printed coloured plastic as appose to cut out material with a coloured backing?

I believe so, its really not my area of expertise. Best talking to Metal Monkey.

All i wanted was a 'stock' looking dial face with a bit of custom stuff in there for good measure ;)

Misread.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Loving this build so much, those NUR arches paired with the CCW's are exquisite... First thing I did after completing Uni was buy my Sup, done much the same underneath with mine as you have yours, alot of work indeed :(

Thanks Pal :thumbs:

The Nur spec arches along with the aerotop are the main two reasons I purchased this shell. I personally love this combo! The CCW's were always going to happen, to date they are the only wheels I have ever purchased, not a bad place to start. As for the underside of these cars, yeah its a lot of work, but given its age i was always going to go the full hog.

Will update this thread this week!

• 9 months later...

So an update is long over due, to the point that I can hardly remember what you have and haven't seen!

So you might recall that I had just refurbished the brake master cylinder including new paint, well moments later I removed it all (Yup, the polishing bug bit me) I also installed a brake cylinder brace that I had just finished painting in 202 black

I then found myself doing some odd jobs to tidy bits up, including; the inline fuse for the battery

Flocking the manual gear surround with ashtray and installing it

This was now the dash/interior generally

Cannot wait to get rid of this steering wheel

And finally some general pictures

More coming soon - I will update this more often!

326 Polished BMC.jpg

327 Polished BMC.jpg

318 Rear Battery Fuse Installed.jpg

336 Ashtray.jpg

337 Ashtray.jpg

321 Flocked Dash.jpg

323 Flocked Dash.jpg

325 Interior.jpg

304 As She Stands.jpg

305 Garage View.jpg

324 As She Stands.jpg

I then turned my attention to finishing the restoration on both the front and rear subframes. Both had been moved from the car, blast and then painted. You might recall that the stock bushes were all fine, so no poly stuff here.

So starting with the rear, I was not happy with the stock tie-rods that offer a bit of bracing to the subframe, but also help hold my half-shafts in until the diff arrives. So I made some custom ones

I was also not happy with the items I had removed from the front subframe, so these were off for blasting and painting too

And finally, this Ultra Racing lower front brace arrived, which finished off the front subframe

Stay tuned

314 Custom Tie Rod.jpg

315 Custom Tie Rod.jpg

328 Front Subframe Mounts.jpg

329 Front Subframe Mounts.jpg

330 Front Subframe Mounts.jpg

371 Ultra Racing Front Lower Brace.jpg

372 Ultra Racing Front Lower Brace.jpg