The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New to the club looking to purchase my dream MKIV

Guest WesleyMkIV

Hi guys

Thanks for the welcome to the club, my names Wes I'm 27 from the Leicestershire area.

Been an avid fan of Supra's for years now after being taken for a spin in a friends 6 speed single turbo 700bhp monster, since then I've always wanted one and I'm currently looking for an na for everyday use.

I've been looking mainly for a manual but they are hard to find so I've been looking at autos as well, I've read the tips for buying a Supra but any extra advice is more than welcome!

Here's one I'm going to view on Monday with a friend so let me know what your thoughts are as i don't want to buy a car that I have to spend a fortune on maintaining like my current car.

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/toyota/supra/toyota-supra-3000cc-automatic-absolutly-stunning/1793107

Thanks again for the welcome and hope to be joining you all on the road soon in my own Supra!

Welcome to the club - that car is a rip-off....good advice on the thread from fellow members.

best of luck with the search.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the club - that car is a rip-off....good advice on the thread from fellow members.

best of luck with the search.

This. Much better cars for the money, i'd pay your membership and have a nosey in the classifieds on here. You could get a TT auto for that money !!!

Wesley. Welcome to the club.

I have had an NA Manual and a TT Tiptronic and although the TT is insanely quick at BPU I had more fun in my NA. That said, I swapped to a TT because I got my arse handed to me by a couple of cars that thought I would give them a beating. Since I have had the TT, nothing has got close from the lights.

Fuel costs will be identical unless you are booting it everywhere in a TT, and you'll soon lose your licence.

If you can pick up a TT and not drive like a cock, then you'll be ok. Otherwise get an NA manual for between £3 & 4K (I sold my facelift for £4400 3 years ago). They are great fun but not that quick. I would go back to an NA tomorrow if I had the chance.

FWIW. The car in the link is spectacularly over priced and will be worth half once you buy it. Tell the seller to do one...!!

H.

After reading the NA thread I hopefully wake up later feeling lobotomized.

I get what you are saying with the NA though, I would love a TT but I am in no doubt that I am 99% less likely to have a licence by that years end.

TT manual may be the way forward but mine scares the shit out of me. I have had her for 3 years and she is by far the best looking car I have ever owned. As far as driving experience goes, she is a great "drag" car but in the twisties I wouldn't dare plant my foot or I will be hedge fodder, especially in the wet.

I have been looking at Exiges and 997 Turbos as these will satisfy my craving for great handling.

TT manual may be the way forward but mine scares the shit out of me. I have had her for 3 years and she is by far the best looking car I have ever owned. As far as driving experience goes, she is a great "drag" car but in the twisties I wouldn't dare plant my foot or I will be hedge fodder, especially in the wet.

I have been looking at Exiges and 997 Turbos as these will satisfy my craving for great handling.

Nice choices there.

I feel I will be sticking with Supra's for a while, once my debts have been paid off then I may get a TT. The problem I have is not too many cars interest me especially newer ones, plus where can you get 400bhp car for around 5k :D

Nice choices there.

I feel I will be sticking with Supra's for a while, once my debts have been paid off then I may get a TT. The problem I have is not too many cars interest me especially newer ones, plus where can you get 400bhp car for around 5k :D

As far as "bang for your buck" goes, these have always been the best. They are getting old now and will cost you a bob or two along the way.

I still crave a Porsche however. It's a disappointment I must experience..!!

H.

Guest WesleyMkIV

That's interesting to know about the economy when comparing the two, my driving style is fairly balanced as i do a 36 mile round trip to work and back and tend to just cruise and occasionally when I'm feeling zippy I'll put my foot down.

When crunching numbers i budgeted around £360 for the month as i cover around 270 miles a week so based the costs on 300miles to a tank which i thinks is about right taking into account tank size and mpg?!

From the great advice given so far i definitely won't be buying the car on Monday but i at least want to test drive it as I've only ever been a passenger in a Supra, but seriously considering a TT now especially if the economy is similar to an na bar (foot planted of course) I might enquire about the one I've seen for sale in Ireland with 41k on the clock going for £4500 but would need more details first!

I'm starting to think the TT is the way forward as id only be looking to keep it for a couple years before settling down with the misses and having kids, so gonna keep my eye out and thanks for all your help guys its massively appreciated!!

I'd ignore the odo readings on these cars and give whatever you look at a thorough inspection, people

selling cars tend to tell you everything you want to here and could make a rusty old pile of scrap sound

like a dream car.

Good luck on your search and don't rush to spend your cash

Guest WesleyMkIV
I'd ignore the odo readings on these cars and give whatever you look at a thorough inspection, people

selling cars tend to tell you everything you want to here and could make a rusty old pile of scrap sound

like a dream car.

Good luck on your search and don't rush to spend your cash

That's a fair shout and i agree, some people could sell ice to the Eskimos which is why I'm so cautious now! I now prefer the tactic of asking questions till im blue in the face lol i was ripped off with my Leon FR 2yrs ago so dont wanna make the same mistake twice.

Now this is the scary bit... I have owned both TT & NA and the NA uses more fuel than my TT! I thought it might be just me but others have mentioned it too... sorry :D

If it makes you feel any better then my NA-T seems to use no more fuel than before it had a turbo strapped to it! :blink: It's still awful on fuel :D

Edited by Rich.2211 (see edit history)

Guest WesleyMkIV

Cheers for that pal, I'll keep an eye out and hit you up if i find anything!

So with regards to maintaining these animals, how do you guys get on?! I can remember my mates na-t drank oil like it went outa fashion lol which i think is why it blew up in the end...

Cheers for that pal, I'll keep an eye out and hit you up if i find anything!

So with regards to maintaining these animals, how do you guys get on?! I can remember my mates na-t drank oil like it went outa fashion lol which i think is why it blew up in the end...

Sounds like something was wrong with it.

These cars are fairly easy to maintain.

Can be costly doing a full service, and there is plenty of info on this forum so you can't go wrong.

welcome to the club and good luck with the search.

Nice to get another local Leicestershire member - You're welcome to look at mine, although its SORN for winter :)

I've had both. NA and TT,

To be honest, I never regretted the NA. Was a great car that did my proud for many years.

TT just makes me think my penis is large than it actually is.

So, you have to ask yourself the BIG question,... would you regret not getting a TT for the speed,.. or be happy in the NA knowing your have less to go wrong under the hood.

Guest WesleyMkIV
welcome to the club and good luck with the search.

Nice to get another local Leicestershire member - You're welcome to look at mine, although its SORN for winter :)

I've had both. NA and TT,

To be honest, I never regretted the NA. Was a great car that did my proud for many years.

TT just makes me think my penis is large than it actually is.

So, you have to ask yourself the BIG question,... would you regret not getting a TT for the speed,.. or be happy in the NA knowing your have less to go wrong under the hood.

Yeah that'd be awesome mate, I haven't been up close to one in a while! Im going to look at an na auto tomorrow and hopefully take it for a test drive but no plans to buy it based on feedback for the guys on here.

I think I'd be more than satisfied with the na as I'm only used to 150-180bhp from my Leon FR Diesel plus i love the cockpit of the Supra's and how it surrounds you like an aircraft lol so na or tt would be sweet! I plan to use the car as a daily so i need to take everything in consideration really running cost, maintaining but for once insurance isn't an issue much to my delight.

Guest WesleyMkIV

I have one question after enquiring about a couple na auto's I've seen, whilst getting quotes for insurance online and over the phone the cars came up as manuals when they were actually auto's?!

Has anyone else experienced this?!

I have one question after enquiring about a couple na auto's I've seen, whilst getting quotes for insurance online and over the phone the cars came up as manuals when they were actually auto's?!

Has anyone else experienced this?!

Sky is the club insurance company... understandably not everybody gets the best quotes or best deals from them, but I'm sure they can answer any of your questions regarding insurance if you can't find it in the link below:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/forumdisplay.php?178-Insurance