The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New to the club looking to purchase my dream MKIV

Guest WesleyMkIV

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest WesleyMkIV

I've used Sky before when i had my Hyundai Coupé Gen3.5 and they were pretty good, its just on the comparison sites when checking an import by typing in the reg it lists only manuals when the cars an auto. Same when I called esure (current) they said it was a manual too and sounded surprised when i said its not so left me gutted cuz the car id seen was stunning but obviously wasn't meant to be.

I can't wait to test drive the na auto later though, weathers damp but I'm not fussed about putting my foot down just the experience of finally driving my dream car!!

Guest WesleyMkIV
Welcome Wesley it looks like you are getting a hive of info already! Good luck with the car search bud.

Sky did me a good deal with all mods declared. It was actually cheaper than my last insurance that didn't know about mods.

Cheers pal and definitely, I've learnt more on here than i have googling everything lol its handy though cuz i wanna get it right when buying my first Supra!

Guest WesleyMkIV

I know what ever i get is never gonna compare but just to own one is good enough for me, I'd prefer a tt cuz the sound of the turbo spool, wastegate and pull would be far more than what im used to in my current ride.

I've been in a couple skylines too but the Supra has always been my favourite, plus I've only ever been a passenger in em so wanna experience it finally for myself.

The Supra is a fairly heavy car, so the 220bhp (or thereabouts) of the NA may not feel fast.

I went from a remapped mk5 Golf 1.9TDi to the TT Supra and it felt incredibly fast. It still does, just not as much.

Good luck finding a good one, whichever you go for :)

Guest WesleyMkIV
The Supra is a fairly heavy car, so the 220bhp (or thereabouts) of the NA may not feel fast.

I went from a remapped mk5 Golf 1.9TDi to the TT Supra and it felt incredibly fast. It still does, just not as much.

Good luck finding a good one, whichever you go for :)

I've got a mapped Leon FR atm so I'll experience the same if i get the TT :), do you use your TT as a daily and if so how'd you get on cost wise running it etc..

I went to look at an na auto today and considering the sellers description it was and absolute disappointment, like it had been stood in someone's garden for decade and became part of the shrubbery lol

Id prefer a TT out of the two and i know now to stay away from trade dealers after today's experience, just means I'll have to sell mine private now and have the money ready if i see one i like.

I cant wait to own one though, I've just gotta be patient and find a good for a reasonable price!

How long have you had yours now?!

I've got a mapped Leon FR atm so I'll experience the same if i get the TT :), do you use your TT as a daily and if so how'd you get on cost wise running it etc..

I went to look at an na auto today and considering the sellers description it was and absolute disappointment, like it had been stood in someone's garden for decade and became part of the shrubbery lol

Id prefer a TT out of the two and i know now to stay away from trade dealers after today's experience, just means I'll have to sell mine private now and have the money ready if i see one i like.

I cant wait to own one though, I've just gotta be patient and find a good for a reasonable price!

How long have you had yours now?!

I used to use it as a daily, but I didn't like adding mileage to it for journeys to work and back so have a Yaris to use now. I work about 9 miles from home, and I was using about a tank of fuel (UK spec has a larger tank than J-spec, so about £100) a month going to work and back and general driving other than that.

That's a shame that it was in bad condition, but I've read on here about a lot of trade cars in bad condition for quite a high price. If you can get a TT from a member on here once you've sold your car, go for it! :)

I've owned mine since Jan 2010 and it's not let me down. The only thing that happened was the radiator split a few months after getting it, but that was a cheapish and easy repair and was to be expected due to it being the original.

Guest WesleyMkIV

I cant afford two cars so would just be the supra as a daily, i currently work 18 miles from home so double what you use would give me a good estimate as i budgeted £360 for the month but now i can use my partners car for short journeys it'll save me a lot.

I've seen a few nice ones for sale on here but i want one thats relatively standard engine wise just to keep the insurance sweet and keep maintenance costs down, but its a good shout as i know the guys on here will have looked after them!

My advice would be to not rush in to anything as cheap ones do come up if your willing to wait.

I'd been searching a few months and managed to get a completely standard, low mileage NA auto from a bloke who was moving abroad for £1000

and that was this week, so they are out there.

Although in general Supra on here are well cared for, don't take that as gospel, no decent member is going to mind you checking it over properly, so make sure you do

The main advantage of buying off the Forum, is you can trace back through the members history, it can reveal things they have done to the car, upgrades, maintenance and repair or problems

Doesn't surprise me the one you went to look at was up to much, as I said before, if they had to replace that many parts to get it to a sellable condition , it wasn't looked after before

Insurance wise, I am with LWIB as well and my TT BPU is cheaper to insure than my N/A was and that with a stupidly long list of Mods declared and guaranteed Value

As others have said, be patient and be willing to travel, the right Supra is unlikely to appear on your doorstep

Guest WesleyMkIV

With the money I'll be spending I'll definitely be taking care and checking what i buy, I've gotta set myself a limit and get a small loan out as i won't be able to sell my car until after so wanna be ready for when the time comes.

Well thats the thing the dealer had listed loads but they were all old receipts basically cuz nothing was new, brakes were old the tyres were weathered and cracked and was in general bad shape so i reported this to Autotrader.

My quotes for the TT are hovering around 6-700£ atm with some mods listed hence me wanting a relatively standard one cuz the power will be more than i can handle to start with plus means leass can potentially go wrong with it.

I think it'll more a jap TT i go for as my partner and i agree the UK beige interior is not for me lol which is a shame cuz the bigger brakes and wheels with bonnet scoop make the car really stand out! Any advice on transmission, as I've driven manual and auto but never tiptronic which i haven't researched yet the differences. But I think the auto or tip should be good as i will use the car as a daily so when stuck in traffic i won't have to keep dipping a heavy clutch.

I'll definitely be patient but cant wait either way :) i think 8k should get me a good one with reasonable miles so will wait and see, the forum has been a massive help so far which I'm more than greatful for!

With the money I'll be spending I'll definitely be taking care and checking what i buy, I've gotta set myself a limit and get a small loan out as i won't be able to sell my car until after so wanna be ready for when the time comes.

Well thats the thing the dealer had listed loads but they were all old receipts basically cuz nothing was new, brakes were old the tyres were weathered and cracked and was in general bad shape so i reported this to Autotrader.

My quotes for the TT are hovering around 6-700£ atm with some mods listed hence me wanting a relatively standard one cuz the power will be more than i can handle to start with plus means leass can potentially go wrong with it.

I think it'll more a jap TT i go for as my partner and i agree the UK beige interior is not for me lol which is a shame cuz the bigger brakes and wheels with bonnet scoop make the car really stand out! Any advice on transmission, as I've driven manual and auto but never tiptronic which i haven't researched yet the differences. But I think the auto or tip should be good as i will use the car as a daily so when stuck in traffic i won't have to keep dipping a heavy clutch.

I'll definitely be patient but cant wait either way :) i think 8k should get me a good one with reasonable miles so will wait and see, the forum has been a massive help so far which I'm more than greatful for!

That's not bad for insurance. I paid £550 at the start of the year, but now I'm 25, hopefully it'll go down next time. That is for a UK spec though, so cheaper.

The UK beige interior is the tits. Everyone seems to love it. Lol :p

Check the model chart for the J-specs as some came with larger brakes and wheels, or if you buy off here, quite a few people have upgraded to the larger brakes. £8k should hopefully get you a TT6 if you keep your eye out for one coming up for sale :)