The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Xbox One or PS4?

Septic

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Close - according to Forbes they are 62 and we're 42...

(again my definition of IT is around services not just harware - and Hitachi heavy industries has it's fingers in many pies with zero to do it IT).

http://www.forbes.com/companies/ibm/

34 in the hot 2000 according to that? Or is that something different? Perhaps somewhere with Huge Profits?

All this hate for W8 :(

Have it for work & home use and prefer it over 7 to be honest. Seems most people slag it off as that's the 'general' consensus down the pub.

Might as well get with the new times and adapt to something new as MS won't be going back.

Not pointing the finger at anyone here, but there's definitely a bandwagon... it's generally acceptable to hammer anything Microsoft does.

People just can't seem to get their head around the 'optional' metro interface. It's all about the bigger picture - the "3 screens" vision. MS want to bring a seamless experience across all devices - phone, tablet and PC. In order for this to happen, they all need to share the same kernel and, in the case of non-touch PC's: give users the option to install apps purchased/used on their phone and tablet, as well.

What makes me laugh is that MS would be slammed if they didn't offer the metro UI to non-touch PC users. Damned if you do - damned if you don't...

Cannot wait to get my hands on Forza!

Love the way you can hear each car's engine note as you get close, instead of a generic engine noise. The sexual LFA, the raspy F40 and the low, grumbling GTR sound sweet. :cool:

This game is the main reason that, at some point, I'll have an xbone.

Some speculation on the embargo on reviews of the Xbox One pre launch day. There's no way in hell I'm buying one of these before I can see some proper tested reviews. It's the marketing equivalent of putting your car up for sale but telling prospective buyers there not allowed to start the car until after they've parted with their money.

I'm still airing on the side of caution. At the end of the day, if i want to play COD at 720p I'd switch on my 360. For me the PS4 is looking the better of the two by quite a margin now, and I've been a die hard 360 fan for a number of years. Xbox one definitely has the better games at release, and Titanfall does look amazing, I just don't think it's enough to warrant me buying one.

Being honest, no amount of polishing will revitalize my love for COD. Its just been done to death... I have BF4 preordered. Regarding the resolution, lets say Ghosts was indeed 720p on XB1, I have to ask the question: why was no one complaining when numerous cross platform titles were 720p on the PS3 and 1080p on the 360? I'm not pointing the finger at you, but the marginal difference in resolution wasn't an issue when Playstation was the underdog.

Being honest, no amount of polishing will revitalize my love for COD. Its just been done to death... I have BF4 preordered. Regarding the resolution, lets say Ghosts was indeed 720p on XB1, I have to ask the question: why was no one complaining when numerous cross platform titles were 720p on the PS3 and 1080p on the 360? I'm not pointing the finger at you, but the marginal difference in resolution wasn't an issue when Playstation was the underdog.

I wasn't complaining because I have a 360 :D Joking aside, both the 360 and PS3 render almost all of there games at 720p native. The 360 simply upscaled the games to 1080p to fit the screen. Upscaling to 1080p isn't the same as rendering at 1080p which is the topic of the link I posted earlier, the journalists are hinting that the Xbox One will not be running there games at 1080p native unlike PS4 that will be. The DDR3 RAM is the bottleneck from what I've read as it's not fast enough to render at 1080p hence why Xbox has the ESRAM to try mitigate this.

Microsoft had a policy with all games studios on the 360 which stated games should be at 1080p. Playstation, being the pain in the arse to develop for (with it's cell processor), combined with no 1080p policy had pretty much all the big multi platform games running at 720p. No tech sites/bloggers or PS fans were bothered about it.

I think that's nonsense regarding the DDR3. Its more the capable at running games such as Forza 5 at 60fps / 1080p. Microsoft opted for the DDR3 as its snappier for multitasking.

Microsoft had a policy with all games studios on the 360 which stated games should be at 1080p. Playstation, being the pain in the arse to develop for (with it's cell processor), combined with no 1080p policy had pretty much all the big multi platform games running at 720p. No tech sites/bloggers or PS fans were bothered about it.

I think that's nonsense regarding the DDR3. Its more the capable at running games such as Forza 5 at 60fps / 1080p. Microsoft opted for the DDR3 as its snappier for multitasking.

Where are you getting your information from? It's well known that most, I believe it's actually all, 360 games were 720p and up-scaled to 1080p. The same was true for most PS3 games, only without the upscaling. There are very few PS3 games that run natively at 1080p, the ones that load as 1080p are though. I can't think of any on the 360 that are.

Microsoft had a policy with all games studios on the 360 which stated games should be at 1080p. Playstation, being the pain in the arse to develop for (with it's cell processor), combined with no 1080p policy had pretty much all the big multi platform games running at 720p.

The first part just isn't true, google it if you don't believe me, virtually every game made for 360 renders at 720p and is upscaled to 1080p. The only game I can find that wasn't was a tennis game. Some of the small arcade games were 1080p native, but that's about it. As for the RAM, i've taken this straight from Trusted Reviews

"GDDR5 has much higher bandwidth than DDR3, designed for intensive applications such as in graphics cards, while DDR3 is ‘bog standard’ system memory.

If DDR3 was all the Xbox One had, it’d be in serious trouble. But it also has an eSRAM buffer that should help to bridge the 100GB/sec bandwidth gap between the two RAM types. It has a 32MB chunk of eSRAM that will function as a frame buffer."

The eSRAM they're talking about there is what Microsoft added to help render at 1080p, the rumors are that Microsoft have found it's not enough hence the embargo.

The first part just isn't true, google it if you don't believe me, virtually every game made for 360 renders at 720p and is upscaled to 1080p. The only game I can find that wasn't was a tennis game. Some of the small arcade games were 1080p native, but that's about it. As for the RAM, i've taken this straight from Trusted Reviews

"GDDR5 has much higher bandwidth than DDR3, designed for intensive applications such as in graphics cards, while DDR3 is ‘bog standard’ system memory.

If DDR3 was all the Xbox One had, it’d be in serious trouble. But it also has an eSRAM buffer that should help to bridge the 100GB/sec bandwidth gap between the two RAM types. It has a 32MB chunk of eSRAM that will function as a frame buffer."

The eSRAM they're talking about there is what Microsoft added to help render at 1080p, the rumors are that Microsoft have found it's not enough hence the embargo.

Virtua Tennis 3 and something called Boogie Bunnies ran 1080p on the 360, that's it though.

Here's a list of the renders for the titles.....

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=46241

I will end with both, as I always do, even Jen has said it lol

So for me, I will be getting XBone on release, due to it actually having some decent games on day one

Forza, Dead Rising and Battlefield I think will be my games for release day

I will get a PS4 once they get a few games out that I have to have

I don't really care which is going to be the better console in the years to come, as I like quite a lot of people will end up with both

It just comes down to the games

My most played game of recent times has been Candy Crush, says it all really, game play is what matters, a game can look stunning, but if the gameplay sucks you only play it for 5 mins

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion-30/why-are-most-multiplatform-games-720p-on-ps3-and-1-533587/

There's some reading there. Granted it's all comments from people rather than official statements, but it shows the general consensus.

I wasn't talking about native 1080p. I was referring to the issues the PS3 had with upscaling to 1080p resulting in poorer PQ in comparison. No one seemed to complain about it then, but now the shoe is (potentially with one game) on the other foot? I do agree with SupraDan that native 1080p should be the standard for the next gen consoles though. If it doesn't happen right away, you can be sure that future games will meet the standard.

I will end with both, as I always do, even Jen has said it lol

So for me, I will be getting XBone on release, due to it actually having some decent games on day one

Forza, Dead Rising and Battlefield I think will be my games for release day

I will get a PS4 once they get a few games out that I have to have

I don't really care which is going to be the better console in the years to come, as I like quite a lot of people will end up with both

It just comes down to the games

My most played game of recent times has been Candy Crush, says it all really, game play is what matters, a game can look stunning, but if the gameplay sucks you only play it for 5 mins

Good choice on the release games. :) I'm in the same boat... I'll more than likely end up with both.