The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Best way to reduce drone? Slightly reduce noise?

Abz

I have a suggestion that I don't think has been mentioned yet?

Buy this t-shirt:

http://www.pslteamsports.com/assets/images/clubshops/stirling%20boot%20camp/stirlingbootcamp_mtfu_tshirt_black.jpg

:D

I was just about to write Abz stop being a pussy when I seen this. Very good James that covers it :)

It's not for me, the noise doesn't bother me really as I just drive faster until I can't hear much... it is only when my baby daughter is in the Supra that is all.

I want to make sure I can still use with the little one around and not for it to sit there doing nothing. :)

Here you go mate.

Already got one of them :D

The drone is a resonant frequency with the car body shell. Change the resonant frequency and the drone should go away. Hit your exhaust with a hammer in a few places and put dents in it to achieve this :D
Hammer or Mallet Ian? On second thoughts we got plenty of speed bumps... shall I just go over them, very quickly?! Quite a few times? :D

You've not only dropped in my estimations, but dropped completely out of them. Tree hugger. :sly:

Better not tell you that I sometimes cycle too then :D

Better not tell you that I sometimes cycle too then :D

Remember to wear your wellies. :)

http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/gsAg_JXKggzA54ZRYH.0Kg--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9ZmlsbDtoPTQyMTtweW9mZj0wO3E9ODU7dz02MzA-/http://l.yimg.com/os/publish-images/news/2013-07-31/34f420c3-4465-498e-8d4c-cc48ba960aae_india-offbeat-010813-630-18.JPG

Lycra-clad, two-wheeled pedestri-mong!!!! :D

Yep I wear Lycra and yes I do punch pedestrians in the face :D

Them wellies were a god send, what a moment of geniusness I had when I thought of popping and buying a pair of them!

The drone is a resonant frequency with the car body shell. Change the resonant frequency and the drone should go away. Hit your exhaust with a hammer in a few places and put dents in it to achieve this :D

I wonder if there's a rubber mat or paste compound you could apply to the exhaust to improve it. Ie dynamat but one which can take the heat.

Does heat wrap change the tone by reducing vibration?

• 3 months later...
Best advice yet.

I love my RS-R. This thread is sacrilege...!!

I love the sound too!! It is okay, the sound is staying as it is.

Get rid of the Mrs? :D

I'll let you tell her... :D

To be honest she hasn't moaned apart from one day when she got a headache, without a doubt from the drone, because of traffic we were hovering around the 60-70mph mark.

I think you have it round the wrong way mate. Take your baby out in it as much as possible. So she gets youst to the noise. :idea:

Haha think she is used to the noise, slept all the way home in the 2 hour journey back into London last week.

UPDATE!

Car is going into SRD to have the sound deadening done, also Lee is going to measure the exhaust to see if we can put a system in some then I can have the car quiet on start up & on motorway journeys.

I love the sound too!! It is okay, the sound is staying as it is.

I'll let you tell her... :D

To be honest she hasn't moaned apart from one day when she got a headache, without a doubt from the drone, because of traffic we were hovering around the 60-70mph mark.

Haha think she is used to the noise, slept all the way home in the 2 hour journey back into London last week.

UPDATE!

Car is going into SRD to have the sound deadening done, also Lee is going to measure the exhaust to see if we can put a system in some then I can have the car quiet on start up & on motorway journeys.

Inline butterfly with a switch on the dash or vacuum operated will sort that easy. :)

Inline butterfly with a switch on the dash or vacuum operated will sort that easy. :)

I am hoping we could have something with a switch and some sort of trick butterfly valve. Lee did also mention it can be done via boost with a solenoid, though I do like the sound once the car is nice and warm around town. :)

image.jpg

I am hoping we could have something with a switch and some sort of trick butterfly valve. Lee did also mention it can be done via boost with a solenoid, though I do like the sound once the car is nice and warm around town. :)

You could go for this, or the ones I prefer are actuated with vacume or boost pressureimage.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]179047[/ATTACH]

You could go for this, or the ones I prefer are actuated with vacume or boost pressure[ATTACH=CONFIG]179048[/ATTACH]

Thanks for having a look & taking a picture Mark! I'd also prefer one on vacuum or boost pressure.

Which car is that modification done to?

Thanks for having a look & taking a picture Mark! I'd also prefer one on vacuum or boost pressure.

Which car is that modification done to?

I did have the electric valve on my supra

The vac actuated setup I fabricated on the lamborghini murcielago on both exit pipes, open and you'd get full gas flow thru open centres , closed and exhaust gasses had to pass thru outer chamber

You could always have a set length of pipe spliced into your exhaust at some convenient place along its length to adjust the systems wavelength , acoustic length, and de-tune it from the 70mph load-rpm point