The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dukesy's Red N/A J spec - Active Lip Fitted

JDukesy

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Turbo's are over-rated lol ;) I'm on my second n/a, been my daily drivers for 8 and a bit years / 100,000 miles and I wouldn't have it any other way...

I am also on my second N/A but thats in 3 years and no where near as many miles haha! :)

Car is just perfect me for me

It might just be ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Very small update and a few pictures. Car has now got 12 months MOT after a little hassel with one garage doing the incorrect emissions test and then refusing to admit they were wrong... tried to convince me that they would need to cut up my exhaust and weld a new Cat into it....anyway ended up taking the car to a different garage at which it went through its MOT first time with no issue. Very annoying but problem solved.

Anyway pictures:

What is it about this car and MOT's. Neil had the exact same issue with the MOT last year, wouldn't surprise me if it was the same garage.

Cars looking good though. :)

GTE swap next?

Yeah I did notice looking through the service history that it had the same issue...I have no idea why! I got the test data back and it is WAY WAY under the non-cat test limit as you would expect so really not sure what the issue was. The garage I took it to were incredibly stubborn about it and even when I showed them the flow chart from the MOT hand book they wouldn't re-test it properly. Anyway like I said the second garage had no issues at all so who knows. It was very annoying though!

I am just trying to decide where to go next with the car. I was very very close to GTE swapping it over the winter but other issues meant the money went elsewhere but now I am just starting to consider it again. Weighing up whether to go for it with this car or just sell and buy a Twin Turbo auto. Probably a Twin Turbo auto would make the most sense but to find a nice stock body one is getting harder and more expensive it seems so I am just not sure at the moment.

Yeah I did notice looking through the service history that it had the same issue...I have no idea why! I got the test data back and it is WAY WAY under the non-cat test limit as you would expect so really not sure what the issue was. The garage I took it to were incredibly stubborn about it and even when I showed them the flow chart from the MOT hand book they wouldn't re-test it properly. Anyway like I said the second garage had no issues at all so who knows. It was very annoying though!

I am just trying to decide where to go next with the car. I was very very close to GTE swapping it over the winter but other issues meant the money went elsewhere but now I am just starting to consider it again. Weighing up whether to go for it with this car or just sell and buy a Twin Turbo auto. Probably a Twin Turbo auto would make the most sense but to find a nice stock body one is getting harder and more expensive it seems so I am just not sure at the moment.

I would just hold out for an engine mate, car looks very nice. Just needs some boost :)

I would just hold out for an engine mate, car looks very nice. Just needs some boost :)

Thanks! :) Yeah it definitely lacks boost and has all the supporting stuff to cope (big brakes etc.) so might be the best option but for now I shall just sit tight and wait and see what comes up.

• 5 months later...

So, a pretty rubbish update...my car got keyed at the weekend by some low life scumbag. So now I have some decisions to make, going to be getting it fixed but with the car being red and the key being right across the driverside rear quater panel and half way across the door its a pretty big job whichever way you look at it. I was just hoping to sell it so I could finally move onto a TT supra but this has thrown a spanner in the works.

So decision now is do I

respray the whole car to freshen up the paint and make it 'mint' then keep it because the body will be really good and GTE swap or NA-T

OR respray as little as is required to fix the damage and then continue with my plan to sell it and just buy a TT obviously with a bit of a whole in the budget

Thoughts welcome!

Saw Marc's post on FB Jesse, that's hard luck mate, bet you've been seething over it :(

For what it's worth I've always loved your supra, it looks amazing and you'd be hard pushed to find another that looks so good - I think rather than those two options you've got three:

1 cheap blow in and sell

2 full respray and go na-t/swap

3 cheap blow in and go na-t/swap

Heart would say option 2 or 3, but you probably need to think about the costs for each and decide with your head. You could sink a lot of money into 2 or 3 and be left with a car that's not got a great re-sale value down the line.

Sorry to be reading of your trouble Jesse, I would consider a full respray if you have such a solid shell. TT lumps are easy enough to transplant. The thing is, you can pick up a TT-Auto for around £5k, but it might need some bodywork and the underside could be less appealing.

The limiting factor with the NA-TT is the gearbox, driven sensibly they car last a fairly long time, but it's more a matter of "when" than "if", with regards to replacing the trans.

:thumbs:

Thanks for the thoughts guys. Properly gutted about it and it has put me in a bit of a spot. Jim I think those 3 options are about right. Honesty quite a tricky decision as you say, it's the resale value that is stopping me from going option 2 and obviously the big investment. And also the gearbox is obviously a concern to if I were to go that route. I think perhaps the best option is number 1. I shall see how much I am looking at for a spray job and then decide I suppose.

• 2 months later...
Thanks for the thoughts guys. Properly gutted about it and it has put me in a bit of a spot. Jim I think those 3 options are about right. Honesty quite a tricky decision as you say, it's the resale value that is stopping me from going option 2 and obviously the big investment. And also the gearbox is obviously a concern to if I were to go that route. I think perhaps the best option is number 1. I shall see how much I am looking at for a spray job and then decide I suppose.

Any idea on what you're doing with it yet mate?

Option 4: Sell it back to me and i will fix the paint while some other work is getting done to it over winter.

• 2 weeks later...

Not strictly an update but off to get a quote for fixing the paint tomorrow after the car was keyed. Going to get a few options and see what we kind of prices we are looking at, hopefully after that I should have a better idea of what to do next.

Couple of quick pics in the meantime.

Was wondering where you've been hiding dude! Shouldn't be to much tbh, was the damage that bad?

Yeah I know, not been very active. To be honest just been really busy with work and when the car got keyed I was gutted so just put it away and left it. But got some time off over Christmas so sorting stuff out! Damage was not 'that' bad. Its across two panels, and goes through to the primer on one bit for about 2 inches. Hoping its not going to be to much to fix but there is a few other bits on the car that I might get done at the same time.