The mkiv Supra Owners Club

James' 1997 RZ VVTi T88-34D Single Turbo - Respray and new CCWs [pg 32]

James

Excellent bud, can't wait to see it.

I feel exactly the same :D July feels like forever away! :)

Very nice. Love the defi dash cluster.

Me too mate! Though I may need to go back to Uni again to understand it :lol:

That is very nice indeed, congrats and good luck with the project :)

I have to ask though, why the dinosaur turbo over something more modern?

Thanks Daryl, I see it being special once tweaked! Need to find out the rest of the spec though!

As for the turbo, apart from the T04Z car which I originally pounced on, it seems that most ready made singles available are running on T78s or T88s. It just so happened that this car was also a decent mileage VVTi 6 speed with the bigger brakes, HKS ECU, Recaros, (mostly) stock body, the Defi dash (£2500 worth it would appear?!) etc. Combining that with an existing single turbo kit - model aside - made me deem it worth going for!

I actually asked some questions about this turbo setup and received a lot of positive feedback both on here and on the U.S. Supraforums. As JamieP put it quite well "don't let the turbo put you off if it is a nice car, you can always change the turbo if it isn't working out for you." (something like that anyway ;) )

Having never driven, nor even been in, a singled Supra, I don't have any experience of anything more modern and smaller with a faster spool like a BW B362 or suchlike to directly compare. :) I'll see how it is and might change down the line but if it ain't broke I'll go with it for a good while anyway :D

I could probably have condensed all of that to just say 'that is just what is on it', but I'm excited and want to keep talking about it :p

A nice 6266 on that would be superb with the VVTi for spool

As per the end of my reply to Daryl, I might end up with something like that down the line right enough :) I'll give the big old GReddy snail a go first and see how it treats me. ;) I did actually say to Jurgen in an email that I was worried it might be too big/powerful as a first setup. But hey, I'm sure it'll be fiiiiiiine :D

Hopefully for good reason! I just hope that the VVTi helps with the spool of the T88 and that it isn't unusable :)

I suspect that the Japanese tuners are more inclined to fit tried and tested, high quality parts, rather than push the boundaries or take chances with cheaper components.

It may be an older setup, but it'll still be a fantastic car :cool:

I suspect that the Japanese tuners are more inclined to fit tried and tested, high quality parts, rather than push the boundaries or take chances with cheaper components.

It may be an older setup, but it'll still be a fantastic car :cool:

Well that certainly is one thing I'm glad of - it is a known and decent quality turbo kit. It may be old, but I'm sure it will perform well!

The other reason I didn't hesitate too much on pulling the trigger was that I went on the standpoint that the accompanying modifications to go with the T88 would be such that if I did change to something smaller/more modern then I'd have suitable parts (injectors, fuelling etc.) already in place, meaning it wouldn't be a massive hassle. This is what I assume anyway - hopefully it is the case :D

Nice car!

You might want to strongly consider upgrading that radiator - VVTi cars are renowned for more easily overheating with single turbos.

Lovely car, bit weird having a turbo that can push more power than the vvti block can handle though. You'll have to be careful if you're intending on upping the boost.

Any fact to support that contention? None of my friends back home with single turbo VVTi Supras (T04Z, T51, for example) pushing 550+ whp have blown their stock motors.

Nice car!

You might want to strongly consider upgrading that radiator - VVTi cars are renowned for more easily overheating with single turbos.

Any fact to support that contention? None of my friends back home with single turbo VVTi Supras (T04Z, T51, for example) pushing 550+ whp have blown their stock motors.

Thanks for the advice! I'll see how the temperatures are initially but keep in mind that I should get another radiator. Anything in particular you'd reccommend? Koyo? I've only used stock to date :)

Also good to hear regarding your friends with the T51 etc., a bit of reassurance! I wouldn't up the boost to silly levels unless I had all of the accompanying mods anyway :) I think I'll have enough to get used to with it as is anyway :lol:

Thanks for the advice! I'll see how the temperatures are initially but keep in mind that I should get another radiator. Anything in particular you'd reccommend? Koyo? I've only used stock to date :)

Also good to hear regarding your friends with the T51 etc., a bit of reassurance! I wouldn't up the boost to silly levels unless I had all of the accompanying mods anyway :) I think I'll have enough to get used to with it as is anyway :lol:

With regards to the radiator, anything will be better - even an early model RZ copper one. I replaced mine with a PWR because they were local and reputable.

Take my advice about power levels with a pinch of salt.. any motor can fail if it's not maintained properly. I just have no evidence to support a theory that the VVTi cannot make 600 hp reliably.

With regards to the radiator, anything will be better - even an early model RZ copper one. I replaced mine with a PWR because they were local and reputable.

Take my advice about power levels with a pinch of salt.. any motor can fail if it's not maintained properly. I just have no evidence to support a theory that the VVTi cannot make 600 hp reliably.

Just had a good read up - never realised that the VVTi came with the NA rad. I'll get that changed out in that case I think :)

As for the power level stuff, I've been reading around for the past 2 hours and haven't hit anything clinical or definitive. The only things I've seen are that the hubs, driveshafts etc. are apparently weaker on the facelifts and that the VVTi GE (NOT GTE) has thinner rods than the non-VVTi GE. Nothing really on the VVTi GTE though :)

As far as I am aware, a T88 turbo will max out at around 850-900 with suitable supporting mods. I was under the impression that whilst a pre-vvti stock block has been pushed to this sort of power in the states, a VVTi block, with the weaker rods will start to get seriously worried with the prospect of 700 plus HP. Hence my claim.

As far as I am aware, a T88 turbo will max out at around 850-900 with suitable supporting mods. I was under the impression that whilst a pre-vvti stock block has been pushed to this sort of power in the states, a VVTi block, with the weaker rods will start to get seriously worried with the prospect of 700 plus HP. Hence my claim.

As per my post above yours, I can only find information regarding the GE engine as having weaker rods in VVTi form, whereas the GTE engine shares the same rods for both pre-VVTi and VVTi. If this is indeed the case, then I should be alright!

To be honest, I don't think I'd want to creep into numbers starting with a 7 unless I went for a built engine. :)

I wouldn't push much further than 650hp on a stock block anyway. I know it's definately possible, but why push your luck?

A Garrett GTX3582R should give you over 600hp, should be absolutely reliable on a stock block and give a very fast spool. And should be a straight swap for your '88.

I'd love to see someone go for a GTX30R on a VVTi car though, 550hp and almost instant boost :cool:

I wouldn't push much further than 650hp on a stock block anyway. I know it's definately possible, but why push your luck?

A Garrett GTX3582R should give you over 600hp, should be absolutely reliable on a stock block and give a very fast spool. And should be a straight swap for your '88.

I'd love to see someone go for a GTX30R on a VVTi car though, 550hp and almost instant boost :cool:

That is my point exactly Jason - I don't want to be left with a rebuild on my hands! :)

As for the GTX turbos, what all would be required to change out the current setup for one of those? Is it just a case of whipping one turbo off, putting the other onto the same manifold and then getting it mapped? As I presume with the injectors and such that the T88 requires the requirements to comfortably run a GTX30/35 would be met already? Or would I need to downscale other components? :)

That is my point exactly Jason - I don't want to be left with a rebuild on my hands! :)

As for the GTX turbos, what all would be required to change out the current setup for one of those? Is it just a case of whipping one turbo off, putting the other onto the same manifold and then getting it mapped? As I presume with the injectors and such that the T88 requires the requirements to comfortably run a GTX30/35 would be met already? Or would I need to downscale other components? :)

Most things should be fine, both the T88 and GTX Turbos are T4 flange (the GTX35 is available in T3 too), most supporting mods should be fine, I'd check the injectors as the Japanese have a habit of under sizing these. You'll need a water feed for the Garrett turbo, but that's easy and cheap enough.

So, all in all, a reasonably straight forward and very effective upgrade.

Most things should be fine, both the T88 and GTX Turbos are T4 flange (the GTX35 is available in T3 too), most supporting mods should be fine, I'd check the injectors as the Japanese have a habit of under sizing these. You'll need a water feed for the Garrett turbo, but that's easy and cheap enough.

So, all in all, a reasonably straight forward and very effective upgrade.

Good to know, thanks for that :) I'll need to check the injectors in that case to make sure they are suitable :) Same with the fuel pump.

I'll need to get reading up on the other Garrett units in that case and see what the script with them is :)

I'm a big fan of the Garretts, you'd not go far wrong with a GTX35 series, go for the 3576R if you want about 600bhp but the spool of a GT30 :)

I think I may spend my lunchbreak doing some light reading of the Garrett range to see how they've treated people in the past on the Supra :) I'll be especially interested in these GTX models. I've seen Nic mention his like for them numerous times too :)

I've seen Nic mention his like for them numerous times too :)

Moi? :) :whistle:

GTX3582R with T04 .82 A/R turbine housing would be my preference.

http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=tp&Product_Code=GRT-TBO-102&Category_Code=GTX

http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=tp&Product_Code=ATP-HSG-001&Category_Code=GTH

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

I have a lot of faith in the Garrett lineup - but that *may* have been influenced by their local production and aftersales backup in Australia. But let's just say that we (my friends and I) put their turbos through a vigorous testing program.

With regards to the VVTi stuff, there are a few points of potential weakness for the bigger horsepower car - primarily the radiator (which we've discussed), and the differential (should be changed anyway once you get up past 600 hp, but the VVTi RZ runs the smaller and weaker A series rather than the B series) and LHS axle (required to be changed with the diff, as they are slightly different lengths to accommodate the diff sizes).

I have a lot of faith in the Garrett lineup - but that *may* have been influenced by their local production and aftersales backup in Australia. But let's just say that we (my friends and I) put their turbos through a vigorous testing program.

With regards to the VVTi stuff, there are a few points of potential weakness for the bigger horsepower car - primarily the radiator (which we've discussed), and the differential (should be changed anyway once you get up past 600 hp, but the VVTi RZ runs the smaller and weaker A series rather than the B series) and LHS axle (required to be changed with the diff, as they are slightly different lengths to accommodate the diff sizes).

That is indeed actually something I was wishing to check out once the car arrived. It'll probably have an A02B, so I'll have to look into a B03B and driveshafts :)

Only thing to note James with swapping out the t88 for a newer turbo is that the t88 is a long turbo, newer turbos are shorter so it makes the oil drain much tighter to fit and also the pipe work will have to be adjusting according to the new shorter turbo. Good luck with it ;)