67 members have voted

1. 1. MKV Supra AWD or RWD

• AWD
    • RWD

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surprised no one has mentioned toyota and bmw's new contract? Read it online not long ago, think it's either the end of this year or next that they plan to release a joint venture sports car.....

I'd say it's likely to be RWD with a DSG or similar type box

Personally would prefer RWD!

Got to be RWD for me - it's in their heritage and more fun to drive. Plus, I don't think they can take on the GTR

If you want to go fast, you get 4WD, if you want to spend more time scrabbling for grip, you got 4WD :D

I don't see any GTR's in the 6 second quarter mile ;)

Even the stock bodies are in the 7's I think!

For all out grip you have to give it to AWD but it depends what you want, I personally prefer a RWD car and hope it stays true to it's heritage.

They did a grand job on the GT86 so it shows they know how to build a great RWD car, just need to work on the looks! :D

RWD would be my preference but I could definitely see the attraction of a switchable system allowing you to go AWD when required...it would make the MKV an extremely fun summer car, safer to drive in the winter snow and would allow for more grip on a dig race!:D

All in I'd like to see a switchable system.

I have the very happy chance of driving either as the whim takes me (at least until my bro finishes his tour)..

I want all the GTR toys in my soop but its got to stay RWD, 10 years on and my soop still makes me smile when I get in, while usually scaring the sh*t out of me :)

GTR's great, don't get me wrong, super grippy, shed loads of power with a nice ride but its does lose something in the driving. although that's probably just me being uber careful not to scratch my bro's 45k immaculate car as I cant afford to fix it!!

It would have to be RWD to keep with the spirit and ethos of the supra brand. I would accept some kind of hybrid system. Maybe a torquey but small electric motor that acts upon the front wheels. A kind of brake regenerated boost system, that can give extra pull out of bends. Porsche have been trailing similar systems in some race cars. And with Toyota (and Lexus) having invested lots of r & d into hybrid systems, could be very plausible for them to achieve a performance focused system

Doing that would push the price to GTR territory. Then if its there it'll need 4WD for performance really.

I'd imagine it would be GTR price territory anyway, if not more as most GT cars are. Doesn't need 4WD like most other high end cars which are RWD.

I love the idea behind the GT86, it doesn't have to be the fastest around 'the ring' but it DOES have to be a good drivers car, so that concept in a more powerful and sporty supercar is ideal.

THIS! It should be RWD and a manual box, who cares if it can't compete with the GTR, there will always be someone with a faster car than you, so you may aswell have a bigger smile on your face :) If your after a car with AWD, a paddle shift box, advanced traction control, and can basically drive itself, there's already a car meeting that spec on the market, why should Toyota produce a total rip off of it that doesn't offer anything different and would have to be SO much better than the GTR to stand a hope of attracting enough customers to make it viable?

Where the R35 GTR has the Supra beat is in 15yrs newer tech which gets the power to the ground in a pretty untouchable way seeing it disappear out sight of many cars with more power than it, both in a straight line and in the twisties.

That doesn't strictly mean it's better - the Supra is the more pure driving experience without all the computers controlling everything. It's a real quandry for me as I appreciate the technological masterpiece the R35 GTR is but also have a deep rooted need to feel like I need to bring my A game every time I get behind the wheel or I'll be in a field before I can say "shit the backend is loose".

I think of the Supra as a true Japanese Musclecar - an out and out thrill to drive. It's replacement should follow a similar formula of timeless curves with a long bonnet, RWD + updated Turbocharged Straight 6 tough-as-old-boots engine and should offer a manual transmission along with minimal driver aids to achieve a similar thrill in the Driving experience with the same DNA.

The GTR seems to Driving what Condoms are to Sex.