The mkiv Supra Owners Club

MKV Supra. AWD or RWD?

Lee P

MKV Supra AWD or RWD  

67 members have voted

1. 1. MKV Supra AWD or RWD

• AWD
    • RWD

Where the R35 GTR has the Supra beat is in 15yrs newer tech which gets the power to the ground in a pretty untouchable way seeing it disappear out sight of many cars with more power than it, both in a straight line and in the twisties.

That doesn't strictly mean it's better - the Supra is the more pure driving experience without all the computers controlling everything. It's a real quandry for me as I appreciate the technological masterpiece the R35 GTR is but also have a deep rooted need to feel like I need to bring my A game every time I get behind the wheel or I'll be in a field before I can say "$#@! the backend is loose".

I think of the Supra as a true Japanese Musclecar - an out and out thrill to drive. It's replacement should follow a similar formula of timeless curves with a long bonnet, RWD + updated Turbocharged Straight 6 tough-as-old-boots engine and should offer a manual transmission along with minimal driver aids to achieve a similar thrill in the Driving experience with the same DNA.

The GTR seems to Driving what Condoms are to Sex.

Agree on everything! If there was a next generation that had too many changes made it will take away what the car is all about. It should look pretty identical IMO with maybe bigger wheels/brakes and a lower wider stance while still maintaining the original stock look. I doubt anything will ever go forward like this and if there is it will probably have some eco lump under the bonnet covered in plastic.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a tease this thread is, will it ever happen 'mkv supra? I've owned both 4x4 and RWD cars and I enjoyed both of them equally, as long as it has a screaming turbo and a super car road presence 'being long and wide' it will tick all my boxes, but AWD, paddle gear box and dual clutch has got to be the way forwards..!

REAR WHEEL DRIVE all day long.. for me anyway. All this talk about switchable AWD-RWD is just overcomplicating the driving experience. If you look at the DRIVERS cars ie MX-5, S2000, Elise, Exige they are all basic and RWD and enjoyable IMO.

4WD is ok for people who cant control a real drivers car, scoobys and evo's drivers are all pricks and think they are the fastest cars on the road.

Stick them on a track and its so surprising to see just how badly they handle and most of the time slide off into the gravel.

RWD. If I got into the Supra and wasn't scared a little and always alert it wouldn't be as much of a pure thrill driving experience.

Oh, and what are we truly after here? Of it's an all day every day car then 4WD will obviouslybe better, but if it's pure pleasure and that adrenaline shot you want as your second car then nothing comes close to RWD. I did 4 laps of the GTR fairly hard at Pro-Drive circuit and got bored quickly.

Edited by Sheefa (see edit history)

Some good feed back here, it really is a difficult one.

My gut feeling is RWD but to make the most out of big power AWD is better. As Jamie says though RWD most of the time and only using the fronts when needed.

Think that would be perfect to be honest from a sensible view, though having AWD does have it's draw backs too.

Personally the Supra has always been RWD, I think they should stick to it. Some of it to do with heritage, and base it on what has made the car a success.

RWD, not too many driver aids and a traction control system that completely turns off and that sells it for me. As has been said, if I want an AWD car that can rip my face off, then I would buy a GTR.

I can't see any sports cars carrying a premium with a real manual box now which is a shame, it's DSG style flappy paddle from now on which isn't a massive shame once you get used to it.