The mkiv Supra Owners Club

FizzyT's Bargain TT Auto Thread

Fizzy T

Why the FMIC, what power goals are you going for? I thought the SMIC's offered by Whifbitz etc were rated to over 500bhp. I'm in no doubt that the current intercooler is as much use as a chocolate fire guard given it's age and time left standing in the elements but I'd personally be looking to keep the active spoiler and change it out for a new SMIC. Each to their own though . . . .

I'll admit you raise a valid point. I too read Whifbitz make a SMIC and that would certainly cope with BPU and tbh right now that's all I'm after. This is a road car after all but I've always been one to believe if you're going to do something do it properly.

Modifying has that bug that makes you want to keep pushing for more and I don't like to limit myself when I could potentially buy something that will do the job and have scope for more.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've already removed my Air con system ready for a FMIC. You apparently can't fit a FMIC with the standard mechanism in the way so I'm going to want it out the way anyway.

I've got an FMIC and aircon, and I think most everyone else who fitted an FMIC still has their aircon as well :blink: I don't know who imparted that bit of advice on you but it's not correct :)

I cant get over the £970 part, Thats insane!!!

Even I would of bought that!

My thoughts were... offer stupidly low amount for the car,If accepted strip it for parts to make profit if it's a real rotter. Turns out it is pretty much mint just in need of a service,tyres and a good clean! My mate has an Auto Mitsubishi Legnum VR4 Estate 2.5 Twin Turbo V6 and he was trying to convince me to just fix it up and sell it on for a few grands profit but NO WAY. It's a keeper.

I've got an FMIC and aircon, and I think most everyone else who fitted an FMIC still has their aircon as well :blink: I don't know who imparted that bit of advice on you but it's not correct :)

I can't remember where I read or heard it,I think it was via a comment on Instagram.

Yeah I have a 2 row FMIC setup and have a stock airbox (snug fit!) and also had the air-con too (I removed it anyway but not because of the intercooler).

Though I don't have an active spoiler setup!

I never use A/C even in the summer.Hate the idea of a loss in performance for a milk comfort boost lol So out it came. The A/C rad was knackered anyway. The SMIC is full of damaged fins so It can't be performing too well.

I mostly use aircon for demisting in the winter rather than cooling in the summer, it's really handy for that. The performance thing is a myth as well, because it's a clutched compressor, it freewheels when the aircon is switched off. And even if it's switched on, going WOT makes it turn off immediately to give maximum performance :)

I don't care if you remove it or not, I just don't like people making such decisions on the back of incorrect info :)

• 2 weeks later...

Checked under the oil cap before washing my car yesterday and yep all the sludge is gone,not a trace. I'm guessing the fun I had with a Seat Leon Cupra R the other day helped burn it all off ;)

Washed the car but due to undiagnosed pains in my right lung *doctors & hospital don't know what it is* causing breathing issues which leaves me very weak, I literally couldn't do any more yesterday :( In 3 and a half hours I only managed to clean up all the door shuts etc and wash/dry it. Didn't even get to the wheels :thumbdown:

Before

20130216_122153 by MrfizzyT, on Flickr

20130216_122334 by MrfizzyT, on Flickr

20130216_122303 by MrfizzyT, on Flickr

5 years worse of collected filth from being stood.

20130216_122245 by MrfizzyT, on Flickr

20130216_122222 by MrfizzyT, on Flickr

20130216_122207 by MrfizzyT, on Flickr

After

20130216_152941 by MrfizzyT, on Flickr

20130216_152810 by MrfizzyT, on Flickr

20130216_152822 by MrfizzyT, on Flickr

20130216_152835 by MrfizzyT, on Flickr

20130216_140928 by MrfizzyT, on Flickr

20130216_141000 by MrfizzyT, on Flickr

20130216_140904 by MrfizzyT, on Flickr

20130216_140845 by MrfizzyT, on Flickr

I removed all the seals and cleaned underneath them so nothing was left behind,I'd of done a better job but I was in a fair amount of pain :(

Oh and I found this that I amazingly never saw before. Never good to find rust but can't complain for how much I paid for the car. Any idea on how much it would cost to fix? Rear NS quarter panel.

20130216_152911 by MrfizzyT, on Flickr

Edited by Fizzy T (see edit history)

If your lucky (which you clearly are! £970 :)) it might have just gotton under the paint and not damaged the metal to badly, blending the colour will most likely be the hardest thing but providing it doesnt need a new panel it shouldnt be too expensive

This is looking great btw, nice work saving this one from the gutter :thumbs:

Blimey you beat Rob's £1,200 for a UK Spec... though his had so much rust you can put your hand through the floor!! Problem with UK Spec's :p

As mentioned above, hopefully it is just surface rust and can be sanded down, treated and then resprayed. Take it to a local trusted body shop for a quote or take it here for peace of mind:

http://www.abssussex.co.uk/

Bought 4 UK Spec alloys with tyres from turbobungle on here,got them off eBay for just £180 and turns out they have loads of tread left on them. Swapped the rims over today out in the cold,took it for a spin up the local dual carriageway and all my vibrations have disappeared :D

BTW Turbobungle was a great guy, If anyone knows of a UK Spec engine loom going give me or him a message please and I'll let him know. He needs his back on the road!

Yeah I have a knack for grabbing a bargain.It comes from having F all money most of the time haha The tyres on the UK Spec 17s I got with the car were covered in cracks. They are at least 5 years old and didn't move in that time,the air came out the tyres and caused loads of rubber degradation around the area it was sat. Annoying as there was tons of tread on the tyres but they weren't safe.

• 3 months later...

People saw the car at JapFest and were surprised it's in as good a condition as it is :) I made a bit of a pledge to myself to do or buy at least 1 thing a month for the car as so far I've spent too much haha

Bought a stainless steel cat back exhaust off a nice guy on here, he even sorted me out a brand new rear strut brace too. I'm waiting till the 11th to fit it though as that's when my car insurance is due. Currently got SKY down to £465 from £547 Renewal price by hunting around :thumbs:

Hoping it won't be too loud but I'm guessing it will be as 3 Inch bore all the way through from the catback with a four Inch tailpipe.

Did this today though to cure a headlight with condensation and colour code match to the rear lights :D

Untitled by MrfizzyT, on Flickr

Thatcham :)

You can see in the last picture of the near side light where the rubber backing had come away from the rear of the glass, Tried to reseal it with silicon but it's not the best fix. Might superglue it at some point. I'm sure that will leave me feeling more attached to my car lol

Oh and in other news Sky Insurance called me today and tried to sell me my renewal again but saying their best quote to me was for £485 plus their admin fee @ 3K Miles a year rather than the 6K a year and no admin fee @ £465 I was told previously...grr.