The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone risking using the supra in the snow? photos thread!

spikedjack

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My baby is parked up until the snow is gone. No way it would get down the drive... [ATTACH]163288[/ATTACH]

There is a car under there honest.. The only thing enjoying it right now is the dog...

[ATTACH]163289[/ATTACH]

Nice. Your dog looks like a timberwolf in this weather lol.

I've been thinking of getting a set of winter tyres for my stock 17s and using them when the weather is like this!

If you decide to do this then I could sell you my winter tyres if you are interested. My stock 17" wheels don't fit any more because of my bigger brakes so I could whip the tyres off and sell them on. They're Continental Winter Contacts and are excellent on ice and snow.

Mines asleep in hibernation till spring, under cover in warm garage with soft music in background. Can hear it snoring if you listen carefully. Single turbo on John Deere screaming at full revs pulling trailer up hill though just to keep my hand in. Race logic....ha!.... who needs it, 4 wheel drive and diff locks on.

Nice. Your dog looks like a timberwolf in this weather lol.

She does doesn't she... She is a Czechoslovakian Wolf Dog.. She is loving the snow and looks awesome but Supra is well and truly staying put until it thaws. Using the other halfs merc with snow tyres instead. Will get some snow tyres next year for the supra as they ate brilliant. Buy them in the summer and they won't cost much....

Here is mine after leaving it for 5 hours at the gym!!

That's quite a work out...! :D

I'm gonna have to venture out in mine tomorrow - getting some new rear tyres fitted and then I've got a date with Ryan at SRR for an ECU tweek. The only part of the journey I'm concerned about is getting off my estate: corner + uphill + lots of compacted ice = disaster, I imagine... :(

If you lose all traction going up a hill, or even on the level, and don't have an LSD, if you pull the handbrake on very slowly and gently with a back wheel spinning slowly, it will transfer drive to both tyres. I nearly couldn't get into the top car park at the pub the other night as it was hard compacted snow on the hill, so the handbrake trick saw I got my booze ;) As there was only a range rover and another 4 x 4 up there i thought my old Volvo had done rather well on its barely legal tyres.

If you lose all traction going up a hill, or even on the level, and don't have an LSD, if you pull the handbrake on very slowly and gently with a back wheel spinning slowly, it will transfer drive to both tyres. I nearly couldn't get into the top car park at the pub the other night as it was hard compacted snow on the hill, so the handbrake trick saw I got my booze ;) As there was only a range rover and another 4 x 4 up there i thought my old Volvo had done rather well on its barely legal tyres.

Good tip that, Chris.

I've an LSD but for those without could make the difference of being stuck for hours or not (regardless of the prospect of beer ;) )

this will work with cars with LSD as well chris as the toyota is a torsion diff it will transfer on resistance but if you have 0 resistance it'll just spin 1 wheel, so adding a little bit of handbrake gives the resistance on the diff and then drives both wheels

Tim

I've found both of mine spin in a similar way on the supra to that of my quails atb on my last car. Strange that

I've found both of mine spin in a similar way on the supra to that of my quails atb on my last car. Strange that

is that a torsion diff as well?

see a torsion diff works by transferring power across the rear wheels on a ratio of grip, say 1 to 4 but if the wheels have 0 grip which can only really happen on ice and snow then 4 times 0 is 0 so just end up with 1 wheel spinning and 1 doing nothing. where you apply the brake lightly that gives resistance and the diff will then start to transfer power.

Where in those situations as Locking diff is better as it'll transfer power regardless of what grip any or either of the wheels has.

Tim

Quaife* sorry not quails!

It's an automatic torque biasing differential. A geared diff in effect shifting the power to the wheel with the grip.

From quaife:

The Quaife Differential powers both drive wheels under nearly all conditions, instead of just one. With an ordinary open differential, standard on most cars, a lot of precious power is wasted during wheelspin under acceleration. This happens because the open differential shifts power to the wheel with less grip (along the path of least resistance). The Quaife, however, does just the opposite. It senses which wheel has the better grip, and biases the power to that wheel. It does this smoothly and constantly, and without ever completely removing power from the other wheel.

yeah works the same as standard, with any grip no matter how small it'll do its job and bias the power out through a ratio to the other wheel to power both, but when on snow or ice it can't work as it should because there is no grip at all on one or both wheels so just runs like an normal NON LSD open diff.

Didn't know quaife made diffs for the 6psd supra, there a good road going diff :)

Tim

this will work with cars with LSD as well chris as the toyota is a torsion diff it will transfer on resistance but if you have 0 resistance it'll just spin 1 wheel, so adding a little bit of handbrake gives the resistance on the diff and then drives both wheels

Tim

Great tips gents!! :thumbs:

Yep, Tim has it right, can't beat a proper plate diff, or a cam and pawl in the snow. I don't like Torsen type diffs, they are quiet, last a long time, are reliable *, but do sod all ;)

* Except on race cars with serious power, in the wet, where they generate vast amounts of heat and demand trick, (read very expensive), oils to survive.