The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Who has (or is doing) an NA-T on the forum?

d-_-b

After 2 failed mapping sessions 1st not building boost then the 2nd over boosting i decided to bin the hks copy wastegate and buy a precision 46mm wg. I'm really hoping this will be the last mapping session but I'm a little confused on what spring/springs to use? And what psi is safe to run on stock compression?

The precision comes with 1.5 3 6 9 18psi springs

Also is it better to use a low psi spring and use a boost controller or just use the wastegate?

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After 2 failed mapping sessions 1st not building boost then the 2nd over boosting i decided to bin the hks copy wastegate and buy a precision 46mm wg. I'm really hoping this will be the last mapping session but I'm a little confused on what spring/springs to use? And what psi is safe to run on stock compression?

Also is it better to use a low psi spring and use a boost controller or just use the wastegate?

Get the map right on a low psi spring first, introduce the boost controller afterwards. This would be what the mapper would do anyway.

I got a AEM tru boost controller and fitted the 3psi spring and the 1.5psi spring.

You put the 1.5psi spring inside the 3psi spring and this gives you 4.5psi spring. And then Ryan turned up the boost by the controller :D

Ps: the pw46 wastegate is awesomely accurate! :)

Also dude, if you weld the V-band from the pw46 to the 4bolt plate that's on your wastegate you can just bolt the plate on to your manifold and then put the clamp on to the wastegate. This give you the option to use either a v-band or 4bolt style wastegates in the future :)

Cheers guys mind made up! 4.5psi and use the boost controller, what should I tell him to go to 7-7.5psi??

Thanks FOSTA that's exactly what I'm doing, should be getting welded as we speak!

I'm so happy I went with the precision wg the quality speaks for itself!

Just tell him to take it to what ever he thinks best mate, if you have upgraded the injectors and fuel pump then I say go all out lol wack 9-10psi down her throat! If you havnt and are running stock then I'd say 7-8psi.

But the mapper will tell you what is safe for your injectors as they won't max them out :)

Feel free to add me to the NA-T list. I completed my conversion in May 2009, it was road mapped at 0.5 bar and later put on the dyno showing 374BHP at the flywheel. Manifold unknown, T70 Turbo with a T3 flange, 40mm external wastegate with screamer and a 0.5 bar spring. Standard head gasket and internals. GodSpeed FMIC and a Blitz style BOV. MKIII tuebo 440cc injectors with resister pack, E-manage Blue, 3bar map sensor and a great map and plenty of advice from Lyndon. This year I swapped over to a Boostwerx inlet manifold with an Accufab 80mm throttle body and uprated the fuelpump to a Walbro 255lph unit. This with a remap from Lyndon, transformed the throttle response, as it removed a load of IC piping, and with the pipework going directly from the FMIC to the throttle body, there is a lot less heat soak. I have yet to take it back to DynoDaze for a comparison run on the rollers, but i'm guessing somewhere in the region of 400BHP still at 0.5 bar boost.

Edited by Supra_Scott (see edit history)

Feel free to add me to the NA-T list. I completed my conversion in May 2009, it was road mapped at 0.5 bar and later put on the dyno showing 374BHP at the flywheel. Manifold unknown, T70 Turbo with a T3 flange, 40mm external wastegate with screamer and a 0.5 bar spring. Standard head gasket and internals. GodSpeed FMIC and a Blitz style BOV. MKIII tuebo 440cc injectors with resister pack, E-manage Blue, 3bar map sensor and a great map and plenty of advice from Lyndon. This year I swapped over to a Boostwerx inlet manifold with an Accufab 80mm throttle body and uprated the fuelpump to a Walbro 255lph unit. This with a remap from Lyndon, transformed the throttle response, as it removed a load of IC piping, and with the pipework going directly from the FMIC to the throttle body, there is a lot less head soak. I have yet to take it back to DynoDaze for a comparison run on the rollers, but i'm guessing somewhere in the region of 400BHP still at 0.5 bar boost.

Have you not noticed a feel of power loss from fitting your FFIM?

I did stright away and I took it stright in for a tweek on the map and I loosed over 20bhp due the the fueling been off across the map, but with more airflow and adjustments made to the map I gained over 50bhp thanks to Ryan and that was with reducing the boost aswell as he didn't want to max out the inhjectors. :)

Have you not noticed a feel of power loss from fitting your FFIM?

I did stright away and I took it stright in for a tweek on the map and I loosed over 20bhp due the the fueling been off across the map, but with more airflow and adjustments made to the map I gained over 50bhp thanks to Ryan and that was with reducing the boost aswell as he didn't want to max out the inhjectors. :)

The FFIM was fitted and mapped at the same time, so all I noticed was the benefit. It was surprising the difference it made without any alteration to the boost, just a tweak to the map.

One thing I did notice was the improvement in midrange response. Lyndon did say with the oem inlet, that the second throttle butterfly that opens around 4,000 RPM was a pain to map with the E-manage blue, and this was visible on the rollers. Some of the lads have removed the butterfly on their build which has eradicated the issue for them. So with the Boostwerx IM this was not an issue, and it flows loads better. I'll post the results once its dyno'd again.

Rich, when do you wanna put them on the Dyno? ;)

if you give up can i have your turbo :)) dont worry it will be fine, third times a charm!!

Lol if its still in one piece by the time Iv finished with it its yours! :bang:

In regards to fitting the TT ffim someone seriously needs to do a write up! It will be the last mod id like to do, but I don't know enough to commit!

Lol if its still in one piece by the time Iv finished with it its yours! :bang:

In regards to fitting the TT ffim someone seriously needs to do a write up! It will be the last mod id like to do, but I don't know enough to commit!

I've got a fabricator welding TT and NA runners together so I can fit the stock TT inlet manifold.

Am going round tomorrow to see how it's going, will get some pics up