Project UFO ! Restoration after over 7 years of neglect

supra_ufo

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That looks fantastic mate! A real transformation :)

cheers mike

Probably the nicest stock twins engine bay I've seen :)

thanks jason. there are IMO alot better ones out there but i am slowly getting there :)

Looks great Naz, all your hard work is certainly paying off.

thanks Karl and thank you for those stainless steel strut nuts they were perfect :)

It's crazy how much difference a bit of paint can make. Looks awesome man :thumbs:. Liking that strut brace too, good choice ;).

Cheers mate, it does make all the difference glad I got the bay done it's not 100% perfect but it's a lot better than the red I had before. Should of gone with someone with a good rep like the guy you and Ric used. Won't make that mistake again.

Nice job you've done on the engine bay mate :thumbs: looking very clean and smart.

cheers mate, got a few bits left to go on then "im done"

Good work I like the dark look to the bay, very smart.

I want to actually drive my car without worrying about cleaning it all the time, this is functional and looks rather cool :)

thats looking great. massive improvement from when u showed me the car at the meet a few years back. Great job :)

cheers mate, yea it was a bit embarrassing back then but as they say Rome wasn't build overnight :)

UPDATE

I was a bit annoyed about the condition of the accelerator cable, I had a brain wave when I came across some cable tidy at work, I bought some and ended up wrapping the existing cable with it. Nice and tidy way of doing it without buying an OEM

attachment.php?attachmentid=210093&stc=1&d=1458077818

When I painted my throttle I ended up masking up where the traction control sticker so I gave this a lick of paint, you will see why...

attachment.php?attachmentid=210094&stc=1&d=1458077818

I wasnt fond of the grey cable covers and tape so I got thicker cable tidy and wrapped them, I wasnt completley able to wrap the upper part as the water kneck needs to be removed.

attachment.php?attachmentid=210095&stc=1&d=1458077818

I bought a zunsport Supra replacement sticker from Rob@ liqiart which was virtually the correct dimension to replace the awful traction control one, just a gap on the sides but when his shop is up and running im sure he can create one to fit

attachment.php?attachmentid=210097&stc=1&d=1458077818

Wide angle picture showing the accelerator cable tidy and the supra logo that is replacing the traction control

attachment.php?attachmentid=210098&stc=1&d=1458077851

Picked up some custom carbon fibre engine bay covers from a member and test fitted them, I have to make some slight alterations. The cruise control relocation being one and in doing so the cruise control cable and accelreator cable is forced at a higher angle so I used a large cable tidy to join them together as you can see below

attachment.php?attachmentid=210099&stc=1&d=1458077851

attachment.php?attachmentid=210100&stc=1&d=1458077851

The strut has gone in for painting now so once that is back I will fit the carbon fibre engine bay boxes in properly. What is annoying me is the red at the back of the engine so Ill be doing something about that too.

In other news I will hopefully be getting a Boost controller off Jason (j_jza80 :) ) and also a VSV or two. I'm currently having issues with my turbo being temperamental in engaging.

OCUK-200.jpg

OCUK-201.jpg

OCUK-202.jpg

OCUK-203.jpg

OCUK-204.jpg

OCUK-205.jpg

OCUK-206.jpg

OCUK-207.jpg

Edited by supra_ufo (see edit history)

Wow. Last time I saw this car was at a meet at the bikers cafe a year or 2 ago when you had the old bumper on. Looks a lot better now imo. Good job!

cheers mate, yes that was a while ago mate, ive had time to work on it...

fecking hell that looks much better. great work

Cheers Craig. This comment goes for both of you, will you both be returning back to the supra some day? ;)

Its a year today since I have had my supra so thought I would update this thread :D with my progress

I am currently replacing the heater matrix, there was nothing wrong with the heater matrix but the pipes had brittled and got holes in so I decided to replace the HM at the same time. Thanks to Keron for supplying new pipes and thanks to Iky for giving me a helping hand.

Some pictures below

I should hopefully have it back on the road in the new year.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=178599&stc=1&d=1387756009

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=178600&stc=1&d=1387756009

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=178597&stc=1&d=1387756009

This is now resolved after replacing a VSV, link to thread is here..

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?295192-RESOLVED-My-stock-TT-max-boost-is-0-6-%28now-BPU-amp-0-79BAR%29

Hi

Where did you get that cooler new would they make for the lhd heater unit ?

BTW Nice work and I see love ;)

Edited by Batmax (see edit history)

cheers mate, yes that was a while ago mate, ive had time to work on it...

Cheers Craig. This comment goes for both of you, will you both be returning back to the supra some day? ;)

I spoiled my supra, i had more fun with it when it wasn't perfect, the "show" route is not a good journey/Obsession, its expensive and a ball ache.

Im enjoying my off road toys at the moment, there no hassle and rain or shine were out having fun.

Ill be back but not with a show car.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi

Where did you get that cooler new would they make for the lhd heater unit ?

BTW Nice work and I see love ;)

Do you mean the heater matrix?

thanks

I spoiled my supra, i had more fun with it when it wasn't perfect, the "show" route is not a good journey/Obsession, its expensive and a ball ache.

Im enjoying my off road toys at the moment, there no hassle and rain or shine were out having fun.

Ill be back but not with a show car.

Yes I am 50/50 on mine, I want it looking good but not a show car as I want to drive it. A reason why I went black on the bay is so im not constantly cleaning it.

Update 03/04/2014

I installed a Greddy OLED boost controller that I bought from Jason, and thanks for the extras mate :thumbs:

Last Thursday I met some local supra members and the lad who helped me install the BC. We went on a private road to get some video footage of all our cars and just to see if the BC was working. We joined the private road and began lining up and put our foot down, I got up to 1.2BAR and hit the speedo limiter... As I let off I could hear a strange noise coming from what I thought was the charcoal cannister, we immediately pulled up to a safe place to investigate. The noise got worse as we pulled up, sounded like a bag of spanners in a washing machine:blink:

After further investigation we found out it was the crank pulley had broken?? By feeling it.....We decided to get the car recovered rather than drive it home...

I have managed to take some videos of it this weekend and pictures below :blink: BEWARE GUYS!

The crank pulley, timing belt was replaced under 2 years ago (page 6 #88) with a new after market replacement, I have only done less than 10k on this too and ragged the shizz outta the car too during that time.

Hopefully nothing major is damaged as a result of this, this weekend coming is my birhtday and I had planned to take the car to santapod / dyno run with the midlands members :(

attachment.php?attachmentid=210568&stc=1&d=1459705237

attachment.php?attachmentid=210569&stc=1&d=1459705237

attachment.php?attachmentid=210570&stc=1&d=1459705237

attachment.php?attachmentid=210571&stc=1&d=1459705237

attachment.php?attachmentid=210572&stc=1&d=1459705237

attachment.php?attachmentid=210573&stc=1&d=1459705237

attachment.php?attachmentid=210574&stc=1&d=1459705237

attachment.php?attachmentid=210575&stc=1&d=1459705237

attachment.php?attachmentid=210576&stc=1&d=1459705237

attachment.php?attachmentid=210577&stc=1&d=1459705237

attachment.php?attachmentid=210578&stc=1&d=1459705237

attachment.php?attachmentid=210579&stc=1&d=1459705237

attachment.php?attachmentid=210580&stc=1&d=1459705237

attachment.php?attachmentid=210581&stc=1&d=1459705237

attachment.php?attachmentid=210582&stc=1&d=1459705237

OCUK-208.jpg

OCUK-209.jpg

OCUK-210.jpg

OCUK-211.jpg

OCUK-213.jpg

OCUK-214.jpg

OCUK-215.jpg

OCUK-216.jpg

OCUK-217.jpg

OCUK-218.jpg

OCUK-219.jpg

OCUK-220.jpg

OCUK-221.jpg

OCUK-222.jpg

OCUK-223.jpg

OCUK-224.jpg

OCUK-225.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=210583&stc=1&d=1459705319

attachment.php?attachmentid=210584&stc=1&d=1459705237

You can see where it knocked onto making the noise I heard^^^

Ill be ordering the OEM parts tomorrow and also replacing the cam shaft seal, front crank seal.

Keron has sold over a 100 of these, I hope mine was a bad one though for the sake of others. :blink:

Forgot to add the video^^^

I have ordered a new OEM crank pulley, crank shaft oil seal (not decided whether to fit this yet) and cam shaft oil seals as mine appears to have a leak.

Ive only ordered a new OEM lower timing belt cover

Keron will be contacting the manufacturer.

• 2 weeks later...

Evening, Bought an OEM crank Pulley, cam seals and a crank pulley seal thanks to TCB parts

attachment.php?attachmentid=210917&stc=1&d=1460574239

With the help of Iky and Ric, stripped the car removing the cam covers and replacing the cam seals and then moving onto the crank pulley. We didnt attempt to change the crank seal as its a pain to do and did not have the correct tools to put it back.

attachment.php?attachmentid=210918&stc=1&d=1460574239

Picked up a timing belt lower cover from toyota to replace the one that the crank tore into.

attachment.php?attachmentid=210919&stc=1&d=1460574239

attachment.php?attachmentid=210920&stc=1&d=1460574239

attachment.php?attachmentid=210921&stc=1&d=1460574239

Managed to get everything back together and running on Saturday the 9th just in time for my birthday the following day, the initial plan was to go to the dyno day or fast show but the car wasn't even run to see if there were any other issues so decided to take the 60 mile trip to my mrs which it made :) and the following morning we decided to go to the lakes. The car seemed to be running well but I wasn't pushing the car as I didn't want it to break down so kept it under 1BAR where possible :D

Got to the lakes in one peace and when leaving the car park from Lunch managed to graze my front driver side rim on a kerb, I was paying too much attention not to graze the rears! :(

attachment.php?attachmentid=210922&stc=1&d=1460574261

Here are some pics from the lakes, ill post a video once I get the time to edit parts.

http://www.photographybynaz.co.uk/Supra/OCUK-233.jpg

http://www.photographybynaz.co.uk/Supra/OCUK-232.jpg

http://www.photographybynaz.co.uk/Supra/OCUK-234.jpg

OCUK-226.jpg

OCUK-227.jpg

OCUK-228.jpg

OCUK-229.jpg

OCUK-230.jpg

OCUK-231.jpg

OCUK-232.jpg

OCUK-233.jpg

OCUK-234.jpg