The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Young drivers who want a supra

Guest Dcowan1991

Guest Dcowan1991

I have been asked quite a bit since i bought my supra how i can insure it at such a young age.. I am 21 and have been driving on the roads for 2 and a half years.

I have NO NCB so i have basically started from scratch.

I drive a 93 Supra N/A with Admiral and my total insurance cost was £1200.. Which to be honest is an awesome price for my age and lack of NCB.

This post is just to let you know that Admiral are by far the cheapest company for young drivers with a supra.. or any high performance car for that matter.

A UK twin turbo is £840 a year for me to insure with Admiral.. but I prefer the non turbo at the moment.

Not sure if this post will be deleted as im technically advertising admiral.. but it is just to let young drivers know who is the best in my opinion.

Oh and all the qoutes i get.. including the one i have right now.. are all for fully comp.

Cheers, hope this helps any young drivers discover such an awesome car.

P.s When my supra starter motor went i put a 2001 BMW 323ci on the policy as a temp car.. for 2 weeks it only cost me and extra £19.. again this isnt bad at as 5 months ago companies wanted £2000+ to let me just look at the BMW.

Edited by Dcowan1991 (see edit history)

Guest Dcowan1991
You prefer the non-turbo :blink:

Yeh for now.. I am new to rear wheel drive.. Just getting used to the delivery being at the back.. and also fuel costs.. this is my every day car which is mainly town driving.

Yeh for now.. I am new to rear wheel drive.. Just getting used to the delivery being at the back.. and also fuel costs.. this is my every day car which is mainly town driving.

Sensible option tbh getting used too rwd, it can be abit of a learning curve especially in damp/wet weather, good to see you apprietiate the power/delivery of these cars

It depends on location also. Admiral were rubbish for me, at 25 with 4yrs no claims, for a TT BPU, they couldn't insure me :search:

Each quote has so many factors that every quote will be different.

Good to see you got a good price though :thumbs:

When I had my NA at 23, admiral wanted over £2k from me.

Guest Dcowan1991
Doesn't mean their the best, just in your case their crazy cheap

£840 for a 21 year old with only 2 .5 years driving experience and zero NCB is

never right, is that fully comp though for either the NA or UK spec ?

Well they are the best for me anyway.. I was amazed when i got these qoutes back.. as soon as i did i jumped on it.. all the qoutes are for fully comp.. 3rd party was only £20 less!

Guest Dcowan1991

I see what everyone is saying about the postcode and many other factors.. One thing i discovered with Aviva was if i said my car was GARAGED is was MORE expensive than saying it was on a PUBLIC road.. that doesnt make sense.. insurance companies in general dont make sense.. all i know is i have been getting amazing qoutes from Admiral.. a skyline r33 was only £1900 fully comp.. for me admiral is amazing followed by elephant.

Guest Dcowan1991
i had mine with 581hp at 20...and you say you prefer an n/a :blink:

I prefer it at the moment.. after the winter months the car will be getting a turbo.. but i would prefer to work my way up.. not saying you did this but there are plenty of young folk out there that have jumped in to a high performance car and crashed it because they cant handle it.. i would say im more than capable of handling a turbo'd supra right now.. but ill stick to my guns and learn how to handle RWD first.

Don't often see toddlers driving :p

We're the quotes definitely for a mkiv? Sometimes insurance companies get muddled up and will quote for a mkiii.

Yeh they were definitely for the the MKIV as im driving it now lol.. I was on the phone to them a few times making sure the qoutes were right.

mines deffo a mkiv, sais so on my insurance certificate :) i did get a few silly cheap quotes...and turned out as they were for a mkiii

I prefer it at the moment.. after the winter months the car will be getting a turbo.. but i would prefer to work my way up.. not saying you did this but there are plenty of young folk out there that have jumped in to a high performance car and crashed it because they cant handle it.. i would say im more than capable of handling a turbo'd supra right now.. but ill stick to my guns and learn how to handle RWD first.

my first car ended up with the roof caved in....but you learn your lessons. i think im safer in the supra than my daily hatch, as with the fiesta i can chuck it through the bends where as the supra it seems prefers the straights

If it was a 'blatant'

"I'm the youngest Supra driver" I'd of said exactly that.

Not that it has much to do with you if I did anyway.

It's not a pissing contest here, I'm simply letting the OP know he's not the only young guy on here and in fact I'm insured by the same company.

For someone of 21 your are very mature in your selection of Supra. I got my first one at 32 and it was my first RWD car. Now I have a TT the urge to plant my foot is always there and I wonder if this is why younger, less experienced drivers seem to end up bending them.

I'm 19, had my supra since I was 18...:)

I am 38 and have some grey pubes..!!