The mkiv Supra Owners Club

MKIVSupra.net Track Day member list

ManwithSupra

Ill add myself to the list next year as I've been planning on making the supra into a road legal drift car but have been talking about it the last two years, with a bit off luck it'll all come together this winter so ill be doing track days and drift days no problems

Ps there is a track at Bishopscourt co down Northern Ireland :)

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last track day I did someone span his Zeus ! :)

I've spun a lot more things since then. Usually I keep them out of the barriers, but sometimes not :( If you don't have the odd spin you aren't really trying hard enough :)

Was that REALLY 2007? How time flies! Still reorded for posterity and my embarassment, thanks to Mr. Sheefa ;)

Edited by Chris Wilson (see edit history)

For anyone with a silencer system much louder than stock Bedford is probably a none starter. Good circuit, VERY intolerant of any loud cars. If you are serious about taking your Supra on track you NEED a Tanabe Medallion Touring or very similar. Ill conceived add ons, ultra restrictive baffles in the tail pipe (which can kill your engine in a single lap due to the huge back pressure raising EGT's to insane levels), and other kludges are a guaranteed way to ruin your day, or even kill someone when the "thing" nailed on as a temporary fix falls off and goes through someone's screen or visor.

On a rough scale I would say 95% of Supras I see here would NOT pass a track day noise test. Most of the really quick Supras I see probably would, as they are well enough built to make the owner WANT and to be ABLE to use the performance properly, on a track, for extended periods. Not just for a flash of throttle on a drag strip or up the dual carriageway for a mile, anxiously watching in the mirror :)

A stock, but cat less system should pass noise tests, yes. It's no good people whining a quiet exhaust saps power, if you want to do track days you need a quiet system. Period.

The Tanabe is excellent and will meet 90% of noise restrictions, even cat less. It also flows well for a quiet system. If a silencer does not have baffles, but it s a straight through silencer with just a perforated inner tube with sound absorbent material around it, it almost certainly will NOT pass track day noise tests at proper UK race circuits. I cannot count the number of "event full" track days I have just tipped up at, stood in the paddock and known with CERTAINTY a certain car will fail the noise test and be going home without even venturing onto the circuit, as it's driven off the trailer. The noise man at Oulton calls me "The Vulture". Never failed to get an entry on the day as several boy racers lose their £200 or whatever quid entry fee, travelling costs, blah blah due to some daft drain pipe exhaust :)

I've spun a lot more things since then. Usually I keep them out of the barriers, but sometimes not :( If you don't have the odd spin you aren't really trying hard enough :)

If you ever need an extra pit crew Chris, let me know and I'll bring along my precision set of hammers :)

I'd really like to get the MR2 onto Oulton Park at some point, need to source a set of stock wheels and get the extra silencer welded into the exhaust first though.

The Tanabe is excellent and will meet 90% of noise restrictions, even cat less. It also flows well for a quiet system.

I have this exhaust, it's perfect for track days and saps no power (I had a pre- and post- exhaust change map check by Ryan, and as part of the change I had the wastegate piped back into the exhaust, too.)

I'd really like to get the MR2 onto Oulton Park at some point, need to source a set of stock wheels and get the extra silencer welded into the exhaust first though.

Hey Nic, didn't realise you were back in the UK! Maybe we'll meet on a track someday - got any details & photos of your MR2? :thumbs:

IHey Nic, didn't realise you were back in the UK! Maybe we'll meet on a track someday - got any details & photos of your MR2? :thumbs:

Hey Steve, yeah back in the UK for the moment, pics and details of the MR2 HERE it's currently with CW getting the suspension sorted. Do you ever get up to Oulton Park? it's quite local to me.

Hey Steve, yeah back in the UK for the moment, pics and details of the MR2 HERE it's currently with CW getting the suspension sorted. Do you ever get up to Oulton Park? it's quite local to me.

It's 3 hours from me but me and two mates all have (almost ready) race MR2s and we're hoping to get together at Oulton sometime before the year is out as it's local to one of the three. :)

It's 3 hours from me but me and two mates all have (almost ready) race MR2s and we're hoping to get together at Oulton sometime before the year is out as it's local to one of the three. :)

Let me know if you do and perhaps we can meet up :thumbs:

Was that REALLY 2007? How time flies! Still reorded for posterity and my embarassment, thanks to Mr. Sheefa ;)

Ha, you were pushing it hard Chris!! Loved the sprint in the R33 GTT too. Great day out. Crazy how 5 years pass so quickly hey! Finally back in a Supra so no doubt I'll see you soon when servicing due.

Do you still have the Zeus then?

Greg

Edited by Sheefa (see edit history)

I still have the two Zeus sports prototypes, and the F3000, and the Skyline. None of which have turned a wheel in twelve months though :( Just not had many track day urges this last year.

Time for a change Mr W. I've done more miles in the GT-R in two weeks that I did in the Supra in almost 3 years.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

In. :yes:

The Track Day List

1. Manwithsupra - Hampshire (Southampton)

2. Hackin'n'bashin - Corby

3. John88 - Lancashire

4. Bignum - West Midlands

5. TT paul - Hampshire (Portsmouth) watching,driving

6. Paul Whiffin - North London

7. Supra Kong - East Sussex

8. Dr_jekyll - Cardiff

9. SteveR - Worcestershire

10. CanisLupus - Germany

11. SpikedJack - West Midlands

12. ajlittler - Nottinghamshire

13. Mellonman - Kent